Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Mate? An American using the term, mate. Surely it should have been: "Sorry pal, etcetera,"

You are not wrong, that breakfast is sheer gluttony, but in defence, I've never seen such a meal here in the UK, my guess is that the photo was stage managed. However, and this is not meant as a criticism, in The States you do have, in some fast food outlets: "Eat as much as you like," for a pre-set price. That sort of promotion can, and does, promote gluttony.
Mate has never really caught on over here. The other day, I over heard two teens talking about Tuner Cars, the one said to the other, "the bloody thing just conked out!" I have been hearing the said word a lot more recently, and none of the offenders were from a Commonwealth country. It used to be, only us die-hard Brit Iron owners used the word, often when talking about The Prince Of Darkness!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Mate has never really caught on over here. The other day, I over heard two teens talking about Tuner Cars, the one said to the other, "the bloody thing just conked out!" I have been hearing the said word a lot more recently, and none of the offenders were from a Commonwealth country. It used to be, only us die-hard Brit Iron owners used the word, often when talking about The Prince Of Darkness!

In my area during the 70s, there was an eatery
known as “First Mate”.

“Fish & chips” was on the menu.
But that was all....just the name.

There was no comparison to the real thing,
unless you were in the mood for bland fried
corn flakes.

It would be like comparing a frozen-tv-dinner pizza
to a hand-made Chicago or New York Italian pizza.

Which is no comparison at all. :(

Last edited:
In my area during the 70s, there was an eatery
known as “First Mate”.

“Fish & chips” was on the menu.
But that was all....just the name.

There was no comparison to the real thing,
unless you were in the mood for bland fried
corn flakes.

It would be like comparing a frozen-tv-dinner pizza
to a hand-made Chicago or New York Italian pizza.

Which is no comparison at all. :(
Mmmmmmmm. NY pizza. Drool.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One thing that brings a smile is when someone from other parts of the world will mention that this is the way things are done all over the US.
One of the things about American way of life that baffles many from abroad, is State law and Federal Law. And no matter that explaining the country's name United States, it still goes over their heads. That said, it must be confusing to outsiders that we have a new Prime Minister without an election being held, it's the way our politics work. I can't go into the details because of the no politics rule, but if you are interested as to how a change of Prime Minister can happen, there's plenty of information on line.

By the way, from your postings, remarks and general forum courtesy, I know that you are not one to take offence easily, but I would still use the term: 'with respect,' just to show that I'm not deliberately name calling.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
it must be confusing to outsiders that we have a new Prime Minister without an election being held, it's the way our politics work. I can't go into the details because of the no politics rule, but if you are interested as to how a change of Prime Minister can happen, there's plenty of information on line.

It's not confusing to this Canadian...

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
... it must be confusing to outsiders that we have a new Prime Minister without an election being held, it's the way our politics work. I can't go into the details because of the no politics rule, but if you are interested as to how a change of Prime Minister can happen, there's plenty of information on line.

It’s has never occurred to me at all how your politics work in your country until you mentioned it ....

One of the things about American way of life that baffles many from abroad, is State law and Federal Law...
This often baffles a lot of Americans as well, myself included. Wiser people than myself decided long ago that each state within the U.S. should be allowed to govern itself simply because each state faces it's own unique set of problems and challenges--societal, geological, climatological, economical, and so on--and that the best people to deal with and solve these problems would be the people who live there and are most familiar with them. (Admittedly, that hasn't always worked out so well, but that's another discussion for another time.) So, from that perspective, each state could be considered as it's own country. The difference, making a comparison between the U.S. and Europe, is that we also have a governing body that oversees all of these "countries" in order to decide how the problems that are common between all 50 states should be dealt with; it's somewhat like a classroom with 50 students who are allowed to study and discover the answers on their own, but still must do so under their teacher's rules of guidance, arbitration, and discipline.

That is an over-simplification, of course, and there are always any number of "gray areas" to deal with. One example is the current push for the decriminalization/legalization of marijuana in the U.S.. As of March, 2017, 26 U.S. states have created laws that make the use of marijuana for medical and/or recreational purposes legal within their state borders. So as long as you "play by the rules" and don't leave that state, odds are you won't be prosecuted. BUT...since the U.S. Government has not yet made marijuana legal in any way, shape, or form, if you are somehow perceived as a "problem" you can still be prosecuted at a Federal level even if you abide by the laws that were created at your State level. o_O So, in this example, even use of the word "legal" is a gray area.

Here's an even sillier example. A mail truck, a police car, a fire truck, and an ambulance, all arrive at a four-way intersection at exactly the same time. The intersection is "governed" by stop signs rather than traffic lights. Which vehicle legally has the right-of-way? Yep, it's the mail truck. Why? Because mail in the U.S. falls under Federal jurisdiction, while those responsible for public safety fall under local/State jurisdiction. It's a very hierarchical system that rarely allows for common sense if you adhere strictly to the "letter of the law".

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
^^^

In Canada, a mail truck would have no priority, as traffic laws are a provincial responsibility (it would also be insane to enforce a law that delayed a fire truck or ambulance in favour of the mail!!!). The only federal "exceptions" I'm aware of is that military vehicles have their own license plates (not provincial), our military drivers don't technically need a provincial driver's license (but they all do anyway) if they have the DND 404, and they're not subject to local tolls or charges, and interestingly this includes parking fines (moving violations do however count, as those are the driver's fault). The other federally-mandated exception is diplomatic plates on cars belonging or being used by those with immunity (no licensing fees, etc.). They are however issued by the provinces, but they are red.

DNDReproPlate1.jpg

on2009non-dipformission.jpg

BC_diplomatic_license_plate.jpg

In Canada, a mail truck would have no priority, as traffic laws are a provincial responsibility (it would also be insane to enforce a law that delayed a fire truck or ambulance in favour of the mail!!!)...
Oh, absolutely, and I don't think anyone has ever been, or would ever be, cited for giving emergency response vehicles priority in such circumstances. Besides, the police officer in that example is already on another call and probably wouldn't have time to stop and write a ticket. :p

Pics guaranteed to make you feel old! :p

Whose parents haven't told them "I know how you feel, I was young once too -" only to be dismissed as you know there was no way your middle-aged parents were once young and, absolutely, no way they were cool. Uh-huh. We were all young and we all become middle aged. Fun set of pictures - thanks for posting.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
One of the things about American way of life that baffles many from abroad, is State law and Federal Law. And no matter that explaining the country's name United States, it still goes over their heads...

Commonly misunderstood here is the federal judiciary trespass across the Constitution's IX and X Amendments to arrogate authority
more properly reserved to the executive and legislative branches; although legal antecedent for such dates to John Marshall's
doctrine of judicial review(Marbury v Madison 1803); which Jefferson considered contrary to constitutional conception of separate
equal branches cosovereign within themselves thereby allowing constitutional bulwark against despotism.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Commonly misunderstood in the UK are The Brits:
Here's the 'supposed' top 20 misunderstood phrases that leave visitors baffled.
How many can you decipher?
There's a top 50 list, with translations, at the end of this post.

1. “How’s your father,” “Rumpy pumpy,” “Good rogering”
2. “Going to play some footy”
3. “I’ll give you a bunch of fives”
4. “That was a right bodge job”
5. “Oh bloomin ‘eck”
6. “That’s pants”
7. “I’m knackered”
8. “Don’t get shirty with me,” “Don’t get your knickers in a twist,” “You’re getting on my goat,” “Wind your neck in”
9. “I was gobsmacked”
10. “She was talking nineteen to the dozen”
11. “It’s all gone pear-shaped”
12. “She’s a picnic short of a sandwich,” “She’s a slice short of a loaf”
13. “She’s as bright as a button”
14. “He’s as mad as box of frogs,” “He’s crackers”
15. “Spend a penny,” “Going for a slash”
16. “Well that’s thrown a spanner in the works”
17. “We’re having a right old knees up,” “Heading out on the tiles,” “Out on the lash”
18. “I’m out on the pull tonight”
19. “I’m going to get off with him/her”
20. “I’m quids in” / “I’m skint” / “Have you got any dosh?”

Answers here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk