Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EXchange names for phone numbers

Jay

Practically Family
I thought some of you might like this-http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html

I don't know if any of you knew about already or what, but I thought it was kinda cool.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gee, thanks for making me feel ancient!
Growing up in the 1970's in Philadelphia, these were in full effect. My grandparent's phone number was NE7-7842 or North East 7... and other numbers I remember were Greenwood 7-5342 in a televison commercial.

Now, can anyone remember picking up the receiver and asking the operator to connect you?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Holy carp.

I just got a Western Electric 302 from my father for Christmas. Prompted by the number disc in the dial(EMpire 4919), I guessed that my number would have been UNion 9-9312. Didn't think much of it(for at least a week) until I looked at this post.

I plugged 'Union' into that site's database and came up with my home town. I tried EMpire, knowing the phone came from Oregon, and it came up with Portland. That's how good it is, folks!

Michaelson

One Too Many
We were on a party line of 5 families in the 50's in my home town. Our number was Elwood 4-2321. I still remember it to this day!;) My wife grew up across the river, and her's was Yellowstone.

Regards! Michaelson

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Our number was Hemlock 7 - 2060 (most times called just "HE7"). I can vaguely remember when the number was just 4 digits. It was really cool when the "Hemlock 7" part was added.

Exchange Names

Nat Sherman had a line of cigars named after the famous NYC exchanges.

"Call Northside 777" is a moive with an exchange name in it.
In NYC were the TV ad for Gimbels re-upolstering had an exhange that was the jingle something like Jutson 6-6300. I remember another commercial where the phone number was Murray Hill 7- something something something something. We lived on the west side of Copiague close to Amityville and our home phone was AM4-XXXX for AMityville 4-xxxx. Most of the rest of the town started with MY-1. The phone number for Dad's work started with LYnbrook.

In old movies people would have to call the operator for some reason, like calling out of a hotel. "Operator I want AVery 3- 500, please. And keep ringing until it gets thru."

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In 1950s St. Louis it was common and less expensive to have a party line. I don't know the maximum there could be but I think we probably shared the line with only one other residence.

Jay

Practically Family
I was also infuriated at this. Both home and cellphone numbers dont check out. Theres always more phone numbers in the future, though.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
When I was little there was a commercial that dominated the ad blocks on tv. I don't remember what it was for though- for some reason I think it was either for a carpet place or an insurance company. Anyway, regardless, I still remember there little jingle that they'd sing at the end that consisted of their commercial. It was "Garfield1- 2323" (Garfield one, two three, two three). I never understood that until today. It was in use into the late 80's or maybe the earliest of the 90's up here near Cleveland.

Fun stuff! Great link!!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I had to make my own prefix

My phone number starts with a 573 but they didn't use 57 for public numbers. I decided to make it KRakatoa 3-. It has a good rhythm and sounded period to me.

The Wolf
KLondike5-5555

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I remember that too,....

Scuffy said:
When I was little there was a commercial that dominated the ad blocks on tv. I don't remember what it was for though- for some reason I think it was either for a carpet place or an insurance company. Anyway, regardless, I still remember there little jingle that they'd sing at the end that consisted of their commercial. It was "Garfield1- 2323" (Garfield one, two three, two three). I never understood that until today. It was in use into the late 80's or maybe the earliest of the 90's up here near Cleveland.

Fun stuff! Great link!!
It was some cat selling aluminum siding.

Garfield-1 2323

Scuffy: Garfield 1 2323 was for - if I'm not mistaken - an aluminum siding or gutter company; I can't remember which. But yes, it was a catchy jingle that I remember growing up, east of Cleveland. I put that to good use later...

When I went off to college on the other side of the state, I used it to discover who else was from northeast Ohio. When in a room full of other college students, I'd spontaneously sing "GARFIELD ONE" and stop. Invariably, someone would sing back "TWO THREE TWO THREE". It was almost as good as a secret handshake. Everyone else just looked confused ;)

Probably only works on we children of the early 80s...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Telephone Exchanges

Anybody know if there was a standardized list of words for telephone exchanges from the 20s, 30s, and 40s? I'm talking about the DOrchester 5-5902, type of exchanges. It seems like they were made up in each area, but I can't really tell. Not that it's particularly useful, since if you gave your number out that way you'd just get a blank stare, but what the heck?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points