Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excuse me Miss, do you Blog?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
I just started a blog yesterday.

1. Why did you start your blog? - I decided to waist train (with a corset) and Miss Bella Hell suggested a blog as a way to share information with my friends and to track my progress.

2. How did you decide on a topic, find your niche? - I've never been motivated by blogging, but waist training (I'm not talking tight-lacing to a crazy 18" waist or anything!) is something that not a lot of people talk about or even know about for that matter. In addition, while there are a few blogs out there for tight-lacers, there aren't many for those who engage in healthy waist-training.

AWESOME! I'm curious about this and can't wait to see your progress.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Just gave my blog a much needed facelift and added some more of my photos - have a peek and see what you think. Must add some more sewing projects...I keep getting distracted by all the wonderful blogs, sewing projects and tantalising threads on the FL!! Happy blogging ladies :)

♥ bettydarling.blogspot.com ♥

BrookOwens

New in Town
Lady Day said:
Well thanks Miss Owens :) That made me feel like a million bucks!

You should check out my site. Ive had it for a couple of years now, chock full of plus size vintage sewing!

LD

hahahah already been to it... bought 2 vintage patterns from you last night through etsy... :)

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
miserabelle said:
Thank you! I certainly hope so! I love how sharing this community is and I want to be able to add my little bit and make something that people will go back to.

I love your blog! Just added it to my follow list :) xx

Oh thank you, doll! I will have to follow you also. I did do some reading from it and it's turning out wonderfully! Keep it up!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have a new blog. This is my 3rd. Just trying to find my focus and decided to treat this as a career/lifestyle blog. Basically, a little of everything. The first one was too varied, my second explored my now retired alter ago. This one is more structured,but I still allow myself to post whatever strikes my fancy or remain silent when nothing strikes me.

I will most definitely look up everyone's blogs. Some of you I am already following and visit daily.
My blog can be found in my signature:

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
rubyredlocks said:
I have a new blog. This is my 3rd. Just trying to find my focus and decided to treat this as a career/lifestyle blog. Basically, a little of everything. The first one was too varied, my second explored my now retired alter ago. This one is more structured,but I still allow myself to post whatever strikes my fancy or remain silent when nothing strikes me.

I will most definitely look up everyone's blogs. Some of you I am already following and visit daily.
My blog can be found in my signature:
Do you mean http://www.polyvore.com/ ? It's free to register and they have a massive range of items to choose from including fashion and interiors! x

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
I decided to start a blog when I opened up my Etsy shop. It was an easy way to display what was new in the shop and keep everyone involved in what I was doing. I had never blogged before and so I'm horrible at keeping up with it. I try to look at it like I'm working on a lifetime scrapbook, of course, even with my scrapbooks I hate to journal lol It's a mix of things, new projects, finished projects, new shop arrivals, recipes, thoughts or just whatever comes to mind. I have tried to put a daily post but I've been MIA for a few days now. I'm trying to finish up a baby blanket for a close friend of mine who is due in 3 weeks!!! It just hit me that her due date was April 4, holy cow where did the time go?!?!?! :eek: So that has hit priority #1 and everything else is on the back burner...

I love Polyvore but I have no clue how to use it. I may just take a few hours out of my day sometime to figure that one out...

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Blogs, Polyvore & Copyright

I love polyvore, its a great little tool.

A word of warning though, the copyright issues are a bit hazy, they don't have a creative commons policy/approach. So if your uploading original material (photos, artwork etc) it is subject to use by other users regardless of your own copyright and/or terms of use, so be careful to watermark images or don't post at all if your don't want your pics reused.

The key, I guess is to use images from commercial sources who rely on links/ advertising/exposure and avoid images from individual users, there are a lot of images on polyvore taken from flickr and other image hosting sites without permission. As a photographer I feel a little uneasy using polyvore because of their stance on copyright and did a post on my blog recently about it when I read about it on various forums. Its a good idea to include a disclaimer on your own blog too, just in case.

Anyway the copyright issue is a debate for a another day! But I thought I'd let you know so your own creations don't go amiss.

Happy blogging ladies!

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Betty, thanks for posting that about Polyvore. I've seen some of my photos in collages made on that site - photos taken from my blog or my website without my permission. It amazes me that they are still allowed to conduct the site in such a free-for-all way.

As for blogging being a chore: If you start a blog and see that it's just one more thing you have to do, then I'd consider closing it. Life is too short to fret over it, and there are so many ways to promote a venture. I recently suspended my facebook account for that reason. Sometimes it just gets to be too much, trying to do all the "social networking" things.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
You gals might be interested in a blog post I wrote last week, based on a phone interview with Juli Lynne Charlot, the lady who came up with the idea for the poodle skirt in 1948.

Just use the link below.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Why did you start your blog?

I have 2 blogs - one is a food blog http://foodycat.blogspot.com/ and one is pictures of my cat http://urchinsphotos.blogspot.com/ I started foodycat because I missed writing and thought my writing muscles were getting lazy. The cat blog started a couple of weeks ago, because I realised that I photographed the hairy villain almost every day.

How did you decide on a topic, find your niche?

It's still a work in progress, even after almost 3 years. I used to write a lot of reviews of meals I ate out, but they became dull to write, duller to read and the photos were usually cruddy. I took a long hard look at it at the beginning of the year and decided to post less often, but in more detail, doing more focussed treatments of ingredients etc, and that seems to be working!

Are you motivated to maintain your blog, why?

It's something I enjoy doing! It's also a discipline - probably the only area of my life where I have discipline!

Have you found your blog to be an outlet or a way to stay passionate?

A way to stay passionate and a reason to explore my passion!

I've often thought of starting my own blog but just can't imagine why anyone would want to read it and then start to wonder why I would want to write it.

The thing about the internet is that it is a very big place. Any thought you have, any interest, any combination of enthusiasms, will resonate with someone and find a reader. I have been amazed at the number of far-flung, like-minded people I have encountered since I have been blogging!

Foofoogal

Banned
What a very beautiful cat. :eusa_clap
I inherited a cat when I bought a home.
At first she was totally afraid of us and almost a feral cat as they had left her behind to fend for herself. Now she is pretty much the boss and actually plays ball with us. Our children are grown so she is completely spoiled rotten.

December

One of the Regulars
I started a blog a couple of weeks ago, the link of which is in my signature, although it's pretty raw at the moment.

Several reasons:
A- In the winter I tend to slip into boring black trousers, jumper and cardigan combos. They're vintage inspired but pretty bland. I hoped that as the sun was coming out now, blogging about my outfits would encourage me to make more of an effort.

B- I've started making my own clothes, and this will act as a place to talk about how I'm finding it, what I'm making etc.

C- It will encourage me to take full length photos several times a week, which will be handy as I'm losing weight and would like to see the progression.

Yes. Mainly because I enjoy it. I don't update religiously, only when I feel the need to.

Definitely a way to stay passionate and to encourage myself to get creative.

D

Deleted member 12480

Hi everyone, i started a blog a few months back but its just kind of getting into vague popularity now and i'm feeling proud of how well i'm doing. :) the link is in my signature. I just talk about my life and it isn't ALL 'look what i bought' because i'm young, green and not old enough to have a job. I just like sharing things with others.

I started my blog because i've always wanted to. I'd only really ever read blogs when i found them in searches and things but i'd always wanted to be someone who people are interested in. I also think its because i wanted somewhere where i could write if i felt like it or not if i didn't and now i have a record of nearly every vintage purchase i've ever bought. I also think i can identify with people because i'm a teenager and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of blogs about just 'being a teenager' and i also began my blog when i began pursuing my interest in vintage.

Oh totally. To begin with i couldn't think of stuff to write about but now every time something happens - be it big a small (even a good hair day!) i think 'hooray! Something to tell to blogdom!'

Definitely. I don't tend to vent anger or depression, even if i feel it, on my blog, but just writing about what has happened today or over the past few days is really soothing and whenever i get comments on my posts it makes me feel good about myself, because you feel like someone cares about your life and is interested by it.

:)

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I love Annie Pancake's blog. It's her dedication to 'getting it right' that makes me keep trying myself, instead of settling for something half-baked.
And she's adorable. I wish all my students were as sweet!

December

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato said:
I love Annie Pancake's blog. It's her dedication to 'getting it right' that makes me keep trying myself, instead of settling for something half-baked.
And she's adorable. I wish all my students were as sweet!

Agreed :D

D

Deleted member 12480

n'aww thanks guys!
That actually made my day!

As for getting it right - i feel totally clueless so that is a giant compliment.

lots of love for you ;)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
nvlbannermmm.jpg

Hey ladies (and gents)! In an ongoing attempt to keep busy in the real world and the nether regions of the tubal inter-webs, for the month of July, Im hosting my first sew-along.

If you are not too busy, perhaps you will join in?

Thanks!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto