Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric kanaljacke

John Warr

Familiar Face
A customer has brought in a jacket for minor work I thought the group might be interested in. I would certainly be interested in any comments or information. it is of fabric construction with a fleece lining & fur collar. It is belted and has two collar straps & used to button up the front. At some stage it has been modified and a "Parkerized" DOT AM zip as fitted in Irvin jackets has been added. The pocket zips are RiRi with leather pullers.

The jacket is by Striegel & Wagner

See images at http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/Odds & Sods.htm

(if the link does not work try pasting it directly into your browser).

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Can't get the link to work for me either way, but it sounds like an interesting piece. I'd hazard a guess that the pocket zips are original, and the Lightning a later replacement, most liekly by an allied serviceman who swapped it with a Luftwaffe POW... I remember seeing a few Wehrmacht bits and pieces in Northern Ireland back in the eighties which ultimately somebody's grandparent had swapped with with German boys they had taken prisoner. Seems the most likely option here....

John Warr

Familiar Face
Can't get the link to work for me either way, but it sounds like an interesting piece. I'd hazard a guess that the pocket zips are original, and the Lightning a later replacement, most liekly by an allied serviceman who swapped it with a Luftwaffe POW... I remember seeing a few Wehrmacht bits and pieces in Northern Ireland back in the eighties which ultimately somebody's grandparent had swapped with with German boys they had taken prisoner. Seems the most likely option here....

I have edited & it worked for me. Give it another go :)

Edward

Bartender
Ah! Works for me now. Nice jacket. I'd love to see that reproduced. (As are we all, I'm sure, I'm careful about which Axis bits I might choose to wear, but I certainly wouldn't have an issue with a Luftwaffe-issued flying jacket, which is unlikely to be spotted as such by most folks.) As I understand it, the cloth Kanaljacke came in both a lightweight, Summer version, and then this heavier, sheepskin-lined version for the Winter. Both were a navy / dark blue cotton exterior. There was also a fully-hearling version, indluenced by captured Irvins, that came later on (reproduction here: http://www.nose-art.de/de/fliegerjacken_mswinter.php). I have anotion I read somewhere this last version was not produced until 1944, and was only issued that year.

John Warr

Familiar Face
Ah! Works for me now. Nice jacket. I'd love to see that reproduced. (As are we all, I'm sure, I'm careful about which Axis bits I might choose to wear, but I certainly wouldn't have an issue with a Luftwaffe-issued flying jacket, which is unlikely to be spotted as such by most folks.) As I understand it, the cloth Kanaljacke came in both a lightweight, Summer version, and then this heavier, sheepskin-lined version for the Winter. Both were a navy / dark blue cotton exterior. There was also a fully-hearling version, indluenced by captured Irvins, that came later on (reproduction here: http://www.nose-art.de/de/fliegerjacken_mswinter.php). I have anotion I read somewhere this last version was not produced until 1944, and was only issued that year.

This is neither navy nor dark blue. More olive drab. The RiRi zip tapes are faun.

Otter

One Too Many
Very nice, thanks for posting that. You so seldom see those, the only repro versions I know of are by Noble House.

Edward, can this be also linked into the outerwear section, I can think of a few people who would be interested but seldom look in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui