Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Face Powder Face Off

Shearer

Practically Family
Has anyone used both Coty Airspun and Besame's translucent powders? If so, which did you like better? (Or is there a super-powder I'm unaware of?)

As it is, I moisturize, then use a brush with Besame's bisque souffle. I know some people think it's too heavy, but when I use the brush it goes on very light and I don't use much at all. The problem is, when I put powder over it, it tends to look almost clumpy at the end of the day. I tried doing without the moisturizer and my skin gets too dry.

Help a sister out, I think I'm walking a fine line here :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
If you have dry skin, you don't need powder since your skin does not produce a lot of oil, which leads to shine, and it might be doing more harm then good. Powder just sits on dry skin and does not absorb and might clog your pores.

If you have dry skin, a good foundation is all you need, and a foundation if you have blemishes/ acne to cover up. Use a foundation with a SPF, don't use pancake. Make sure to always clense, tone and moistureize, and exfoliate ocassionally to sluff of the dead skin cells. Gals with dry skin need to exfoliate more then those with oily skin.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I don't use any sort of concealer or foundation beneath my powder, so I can't really comment on your clumpiness issues! However, I've tried both Besame and Coty powders (though the Besame was only a small sample size and somewhat difficult to use because of it), and Coty takes the cake for me.

The amount you get for the price is worth it. I don't have a ton of money to spend on makeup and it's a great product for a great price.

I have combination skin (slightly oily on my forehead, slightly dry everywhere else), but since I use a moisturizer and a greasy cheek stain as my blush, the powder absorbs the shine but leaves my face looking soft, not dry. I think as long as you have enough moisture between your face and the powder you should be fine.

Shearer

Practically Family
Thanks for the quick advice ladies!

I think I'm going to stick with Coty airspun since the Besame stuff IS so costly.

My skin isn't normally dry, but we've been having an unusually dry winter here in So Cal. I'm pretty good about my cleanse, tone, moisture routine, so I'm going to change up the makeup a little and see what happens...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've been unhappy as well with my powders until MK gave me some by Ben Nye. This stuff is absolutely amazing. It's extra fine so it doesn't cake on like some of the other brands sometimes do. Also, It doesn't add color to your foundation which is a big plus, especially if you are fair toned.
(in case your wondering why in the world MK's giving me make-up powder, it's because he's a make-up artist)

Shearer

Practically Family
I'll have to look it up... I am extremely fair toned so I was looking for something that wouldn't add any colour. Hey, free face powder from ANYONE is a plus, especially if it's a make up artist.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I will recommend the foundation and powders from everydayminerals.com. They have a wide variety of colors, also many different very fair hues for cold, neutral or warm undertones. I have very fair complexion, and this is the only place I have found makeup to match my skin perfectly.

All their makeup is in powderform, also foundations etc. That is very good, because it just disappears into the skin. No caking at all!

They also have very light, soft, translucent ricepowder, with no color at all.

Cheap to!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Jane

Right now I am trying a "Jane"'s translucent colorless powder. I have a dry/oily combo skin, so I do have to put a moisturizer or lotion on underneath for the dry parts which makes the oily shine like crazy, and the powder seems to be doing good. Ok, I am reading this and something isn't flowing quite right, but I'm sure the basics are coming across.
Faith

Renee

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
Has anyone used both Coty Airspun and Besame's translucent powders? If so, which did you like better?

I prefer the Besame. This powder never goes an "off" color on me (some translucents I've used in the past go orangey/beigey as the day wears on) and it also has the incredible staying power of the Besame eye shadows. It seems just as fresh at the end of the day as it does when I apply it. And, of course, I LOVE the scent!! :)

I moisturize my face in the morning after my shower. When applying makeup, I only use a little Max Factor panstick applied with my finger under my eyes, around nose, or anywhere I've got a little discoloration. Then I apply the Besame with the puff, kind of gently "pressing" the powder into my face and on my eyelids (I'm pretty white at this point!). Then I brush off the excess with a powder brush, and finish the rest of my makeup. Maybe you could try this technique? I think you'd be surprised at how much coverage the powder provides when applied in this manner, and it avoids the sometimes overly heavy look of all-over foundation plus powder.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I also have both Coty and Besame powders. Basically, for me, the difference is price. The Besame has a heavenly smell and is very light, but the Coty is more cost effective for everyday use.

I stopped using Besame's foundation because I thought it was too heavy and after adding powder and rouge, my face felt very made up for daytime wear.

How exactly do you apply foundation with a brush? I would be interested to give it a try:)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Besame powder is okay, but I don't love it, especially for the price. (I do however, love their base.) Coty doesn't work for me. It looks alright for about 10 minutes.

I do love Bobbi Brown powder.

Shearer

Practically Family
Helen Troy, Ohhhh, thanks for the tip. It's hard for me to find a concealer or foundation that won't add colour to my skin.

Faith, I think you came across perfectly for what I was trying to say! When I use moisturizer, it clears up the dry parts and makes me shiny other places, hence the powder question. Oy!

RetroMom, Right now I'm using a foundation brush by Smashbox, just because I was able to get a set for cheap from one of their makeup artists. I think all the cosmetics counters in the mall have brushes you can buy and you can buy them separate at drugstores for much cheaper. They look like an oversized eyeshadow brush... like this. Basically, I'm hopeless at blending with my fingers, and using a wedge sponge soaked up my liquid foundation. I thought "painting" on foundation would be harder, but I get more coverage out of the makeup and it blends REALLY easily.

Everyone else: thanks for all the tips, I love playing around with makeup. mysterygal, I got the correction, thanks!!

:D

ginny

Familiar Face
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. :) I found this forum doing a search to find cake mascara a few months back, discovered Besame here, along with other great retro products and info.
I have used both Coty and Besame powders, and I have to say that they are very similar except for the "in the jar" color, fragrance, and price. I love them both, but use the Coty more due to price.
I noticed today at makeupmania.com that La Femme has a loose powder with a retro looking container, and it's cheap, too. I may try it in the future.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Helen Troy said:
I will recommend the foundation and powders from everydayminerals.com.

Hooray, another mineral make-up fan! I use the foundation from Lily Lolo and I'm very impressed with it. Unfortunately the mineral foundation does go cakey if I apply it over my spf 50 sunscreen - but then again they say that the minerals naturally act as a sunscreen.

Sigh, the vast problems that a girl has to face... lol
Does anyone perchance know of a high spf non-greasy sunscreen for everyday use that works well with foundation?

Kim_B

Practically Family
I'm a Bare Minerals girl and will never use anything else...it is *the best* powder I have ever used, and I've tried a ton of them. It improves your skin too - helps even out skin tones and I've noticed a great improvement of the surface of my skin (soft, smooth and not dry and flaky).

G

GoldLeaf

ShrinkingViolet said:
.... spf 50 sunscreen - but then again they say that the minerals naturally act as a sunscreen.

Does anyone perchance know of a high spf non-greasy sunscreen for everyday use that works well with foundation?

The difference between spf 30 and 50 is miniscule. If you found a spf 30 that you liked, the difference is only 1%. Here is a quote from an article from the Journal of the National Cancer Institute LINK

According to Weinstock, the cap on SPF labeling is not a major issue for the public as a whole. "I think that if the general public uses SPF 30 or greater, that’s sufficient." As Weinstock explained, SPF is a reciprocal function: SPF 15 lets in 1/15 of the burning rays; SPF 30 lets in 1/30; and SPF 50 lets in 1/50. Therefore, the difference between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is only a difference of 97% effectiveness versus 98% effectiveness. "That little bit may be important to some people who have particular sensitivity," said Weinstock. "But, to the general public, it really is not that critical."

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Bare Minerals girl as well, it is the only makeup I wear. I do sometimes deviate and use a different eyeshadow or blush, but generally I stick almost entirely to BE. However, I don't care for the Mineral Veil powder at all. It is practically solid cornstarch and it doesn't give a matte finish, and it also didn't seem to last. I MUCH prefer Burt's Bees powder, or Coty Airspun. I've been using the Coty for a while now and I really like it, although I may switch back to Burt's during the summer. I may give the BE powder another shot, but I wasn't all that impressed with it.

For the price and quality, you just cannot beat Coty Airspun.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
I'm a Bare Minerals girl and will never use anything else...it is *the best* powder I have ever used, and I've tried a ton of them. It improves your skin too - helps even out skin tones and I've noticed a great improvement of the surface of my skin (soft, smooth and not dry and flaky).

I've always wondered about their products. How is the texture? Does it give a very matte finish?

Kim_B

Practically Family
beaucaillou said:
I've always wondered about their products. How is the texture? Does it give a very matte finish?

I was worried when I first bought it that it would look caked on and rub off on everything, but it doesn't at all. The texture is very smooth and doesn't feel like you're wearing any makeup at all, which is what I love the most about it. I'd go to a store such as Ulta and try it out. I haven't tried their eye shadows or blushes, so I'm not sure how those are; their lipsticks are good as well...(no, I'm not a spokeswoman for them, I just really like their products!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112