Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair play

Hercule

Practically Family
It's getting about time that we start looking for a high school for our son. One of the schools we've visited recently (for the second time actually) was the high school that recently merged with our son's current school. So there's somewhat of a connection there. He can actually already attend that school, no questions asked, upon successful completion of 8th grade. It happens to be one of the leading private schools in the area, but is not on our preferred list (for many reasons including non academic), so we're trying very hard to give it a fair evaluation.

Anyway, this school takes as a very important motto and credo the term "fair play." But what troubles me, and I ask for your insight, is that any time the motto is mentioned it is followed by an explanation or a discussion that really doesn't have anything to do with the concept or meaning of the term. They seem to bring it all back to students finding their "better selves". We're talking academics here, sports never enters the picture. Now I'm not a total idiot and I'm fairly educated (I hold a doctorate), so I'm capable of reasoning some intricate, if even convoluted connections, but I'm at a loss to understand the direct connection here. I suppose I could somehow twist it all together but I'm not so sure they see that route. It's just an oddly mixed metaphor. Maybe I'm missing something -wouldn't be the first time and I'd be glad to be shown the light.

So what is the meaning and spirit "fair play" for you?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
School mottos: They sound much grander in latin. Such as: Viri fratres, ut amor. It means: Love as bretheren. you never forget your schooldays.
Defining fair play. I would say it's about respect. Respect for the rules, in society that means the law. In school it would also mean school rules. In sport be a gracious loser. Respect for each other, which I take to mean, no prejudice on race, creed, colour, sexuality or religion. In other words, equality for everyone.

I'm going to touch on a slightly different but, maybe, implied question which is why does the school take something as a "very important motto and credo" but, seemingly, have a confused or somewhat unrelated or unclear explanation of that motto or credo?

That would concern me as an individual or organization that proudly announces a credo, should also have a clear, succinct explanation of that credo that ties back to well-defined actions, programs, rules, regulations, guidance to implement it in day-to-day activities.

If, in this case, the school can't do that, then I'd be very concerned as it means, IMHO, that it, at minimum, hasn't thought long, hard and clearly about the credo itself and how to implement its values which means it (1) isn't really serous about it or - and this is worse - (2) has an agenda that it is masking behind a "nice sounding" principle.

I have worked for many companies over the years and they all had "guiding principles," "core values," etc., but you could quickly tell which companies took those seriously and which were just marketing by how much effort went into a actionable plan to implement and live by those values - and that plan always included a good, clear definition of those values. If the company didn't do that, it meant it didn't really take those values seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana