Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falcon Park Hattery

barrowjh

One Too Many
I sent off three straws to try out Falcon Park Hattery's services and am well pleased with the results. Mostly, was looking for new sweatbands, and opted for light colored to avoid sweat-staining via the leather's dye. Take a look:
First is a Hopkins that I won off a lounger, and it did not take me long before my noggin knocked the sweatband half out of it.
IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

The next was a loser of a Montecristi, relatively low WPSI, never finished, never had a sweatband, one of the dangers of buying from a seller that does not show a pic of the underside of the hat! It was in just an optimo crown with a big wide brim, some damage in the straw. Parker Melvin made a passable Gambler out of it, looks fairly nice.
IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Third was a Pedigree Optimo that was seen by several folks at Monteagle in March. Not a top-end Pedigree, but the best quality weave of the 3 hats. The sweatband was disintegrating onto my forehead, so I wanted a replacement and asked for re-block, try to get some more width in the brim, and a new ribbon:
IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Not bad at all, intend to send him some more business soon, maybe this mode edge won recently, it needs a new ribbon, sweatband is ok.:
IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This is the first I've heard of Falcon Park Hattery. Their work looks great and their prices look even better. I am definitely going to give them a try. Looks like Chicago now has two custom hatters.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Bees Arthritic knees

It had numerous stains, some moth damage, liner stained beyond toleration, and the ribbon was held on by pug hooks (and it had stains also). Coleman fuel, sanded, 50-50 water and Hydrg perox 2% treatment - looks pretty good from 2 ft away. When they are really bad, it becomes subjective as to how much you clean them. I hit decreasing marginal returns for sure, but didn't ruin it. It will still make a passable hat!

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
I own four Falcon Park Hats, from Dr. Parker Melvin, all dress fedoras in the following colors: silbelly, steel, brown and black. You can see a couple of them in the photos on his site. I have owned a number of fine quality hats, and to be very honest Parker's quality is equal to or, in many cases better, than any of them. I still love the mystique of vintage lids, but I really wear the Falcon Park hats...literally daily. And you will not find an easier person to work with on getting a hat made the way you want it. I've got a couple other refurbs Parker did for me, both straws. One very old Stetson that needed the works (bought it for 10 bucks in an antique store) and one a Panama where he added a new liner and a pug. His work is very good.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Nice looking hats, and decent prices. I'd love to see more pics of their work.

The sweats look very nice, but as far as the ribbon work goes, I'm not very impressed. Personally, I think you can do a better job yourself. [huh]

The ribbon work on their website looks better.
Randy

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
I own four Falcon Park Hats, from Dr. Parker Melvin, all dress fedoras in the following colors: silbelly, steel, brown and black. You can see a couple of them in the photos on his site. I have owned a number of fine quality hats, and to be very honest Parker's quality is equal to or, in many cases better, than any of them. I still love the mystique of vintage lids, but I really wear the Falcon Park hats...literally daily. And you will not find an easier person to work with on getting a hat made the way you want it. I've got a couple other refurbs Parker did for me, both straws. One very old Stetson that needed the works (bought it for 10 bucks in an antique store) and one a Panama where he added a new liner and a pug. His work is very good.

Bill - does he use a conformer for fitting, or is this more of a made-to-measure situation, e.g. give him your size and style choices and he makes it?

I agree with bolthead and others that some of the bows look a little 'bulgy', but not all.

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Carldelo:

No, he doesn't use a conformer. Typically you measure your size, pick from either his existing models, or talk about your own desire, and he begins from there. In my own case, I was easy for him since I'm a fairly solid 7 3/8. Anything close to that size works well for my noodle.

Let me say at least a word or two about the bows. Like Parker's hats, Parker's bows are made to the customer specs. Two of the "clunky/sloppy or unimpressive" bows on the custom creations page are mine. Why? Because I like them that way, and asked specifically for them to be that way, not flat against the side of the hat. In fact, the sloppiest, and clunkiest of them I designed myself...going so far as to send him a drawing of exactly what I wanted. And he hit it out of the park. So if flat ribbons are your style, by all means, go for it. I'm sure a few extra minutes, a little tighter sewing and a little more steam won't be too hard for him to handle.

But personally, I prefer a bow that looks handmade, and not one of those pre-made ones that can be two-sided taped to the hat. Others may prefer wide, flat bows. To each his own. But some of the comments above are a little unreasonable. Because Parker has a website, and photos of his work, he is fair game with regards to comments...I certainly accept that. But temper any criticism by naming all the custom hatters you know, making hats/bows to your exact specs, for the prices listed on his site.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yeah...

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the info!
:arated:

:eusa_doh: The memory is the second thing to go... wish I'd remember the first.

Great prices 360 degrees 'round! For cleaning/restoration AND custom. I've got some mending business to send his way, thanks for the reminder, all of ya'll! :)

carldelo

One Too Many
Bill - point taken re: the bows, and it's valuable info. I like the look of his hats quite a bit, and the fact that other models shown have 'standard' bows makes it a side issue. The fact that these are made-to-measure for the price of stock is very impressive. I am also a solid 7-3/4 regular oval, so a M2M hat would likely do just as well as a full conformer hat. My stock hats certainly fit fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112