Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Family Photo circa 1940

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is a photo of my Grandfather "Pop" and his wife (my grandmother) "Nora" taken in Oakland, CA around 1940. The location is Lake Merritt.

Notice the double brested suit, and the fedora hat. Grandma has on the "little fox" stole.

"Pop" used to get stopped on the street during the 1930's, and people would ask him "Are you James Cagney".

They had a striking resemblence. I have about 3/4 of this in me, with the balance from my fatherr's side of the family.

f7a143b6.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just captures a moment in time...!

Photos have that amazing capacity to capture a moment in time, never to be relived again. This is one of those moments and what a great heirloom to have. As they say at the war cenotaph, "They shall not grow old..." The fox fur reminds me of an old aunt of mine (it was a full fox!! wrapped around her neck).

I just looked at that pic again of yours. It reeks of style. I love the glimpse of the cars in the back drop too.

Those were the days when gents wore their shirts 'tucked in' and not hanging loose. Where laces were tied up properly and shoes shone with polish. It saddens me now how many men, even when they go out on a special date, were a shirt that is hanging loose, old running shoes, jeans with rips or hanging off their bum (in the name of fashion ironically!!). Those were stylish days!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Bravo Andy! I like family photos most of all! They really are the best to look at and see how one dressed in the day. Not to mention to see your folks at their prime! I saw a photo of my Mom?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Mom from the late 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, she was very beautiful! I can see why my grandfather wanted to merry her.

Not getting the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìHots?¢‚Ǩ? for my Grandma, just appreciating what a great lady she was and still is!

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll post some photos of my Dad?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s parents soon.

Cheers!

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I don't have a photo, unfortunately, but in 1940 my dad got stopped by a guy on the street in his native Port Huron, Michigan, and asked if he was interested in going to Hollywood for a screen test. He brushed the guy off, figuring he was drunk. A day or two later the guy's photo appeared in the paper: he was from MGM and was in town for the location filming of "Young Tom Edison" with Mickey Rooney (they used the telegraph station where Edison once worked, which is still there). He always said he never regretted it (for the record, he did end up in a movie as a soldier--which he then was--while stationed in California).

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, that's a cool story! Isn't the way things go some times? Yeah, Hollywood is funny! It was very different back then! That's how some good stars were found.

Regards,

Root.

One000days

New in Town
That is a really great photo! I love looking at my grandmother's old photographs, hoping to find some ideas, maybe even come across a dress or two.. Actually I found her wedding dress and I fit into it.. its so great... maybe one day....

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That is a great photo, and they are snazzy dressers.

Funny thing about my grandparents photos from the 30's and 40's is that My grandfather always looks like he's ahead of his time when it came to how he wore his pants.

Pants hanging low on his hips, droopy jacket and a skinny tie that ends about half way down his shirt. He worked for the gas company in the 40's.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
While cleaning my Mom's house I came across a picture of my grandparents. My grandfather was wearing a fedora and I just love the picture. Pictures of my father from that point on have no indication of fedoras, so it is up to me to get the trend back into the family. Andykev, what I like about that picture is the way the shadow is across the upper half of your Dad's face. It creates a mysterious air - one that I have not been able to capture in photos of myself although I have tried. Geez, you wear a fox stole nawadays, and you will go home with red paint all over it. It must have been nice to not worry about every single move you made back then...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Now days, people are just way, way, WAY up tight bout the silly things! I wish half the people in this country would get a brain and use it for good and not their selfish reasons.

Not cool to ruin a good vintage fur when you think that all fur is murder. It died 60 years ago! It's time to get over it!

Ok, I'll just stop there before I get carried away.

Root.

PS. I really like that photo Andy. Very nice once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112