Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

JanSolo

Practically Family
Image6-1.jpg

Andrew, looking at this picture in particular I was wondering if McQueen wears an older "redskin" dauber-dyed B-3. Compared to Wagner's jacket (which definitly has a lacquer finish) it looks lighter in colour with areas where the top coat is almost worn away. At the same time the wool appears to be darker which may be a hint for veg tanning.
So it could be an early redskin, right? Or it's just an old and shabby jacket with dirty wool and worn out shell...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Image6-1.jpg

Andrew, looking at this picture in particular I was wondering if McQueen wears an older "redskin" dauber-dyed B-3. Compared to Wagner's jacket (which definitly has a lacquer finish) it looks lighter in colour with areas where the top coat is almost worn away. At the same time the wool appears to be darker which may be a hint for veg tanning.
So it could be an early redskin, right? Or it's just an old and shabby jacket with dirty wool and worn out shell...

McQueen certainly appears to be wearing a 1941 redskin B-3 in pics 1 and 3. The B-3 he is wearing in pic 2 is a different B-3 in better condition.

Below you can see the redskin in profile and it is clear it does not have the extra side panel found on later B-3s.

tumblr_m8ms3wdb7t1qa64bjo1_500.jpg

Here's McQueen in a 1942/3 B-3.

McQueenB3.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

Powers.jpg

Tyrone Power wearing an naval goatskin flying jacket, either a M422A or an AN-J3a in c. 1943-5. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on June 2, 1943 in the USMC.
As an experienced pilot with 180 solo hours, Power went through an accelerated flight training program at Corpus Christi. Since he was considered too old for combat flying, Power trained in the multiengine land pipeline as a prospective transport pilot. He won his wings and was promoted to First Lieutenant. in April 1944. After receiving his wings, Power attended the Flight Instructor Instrument School at NAS Atlanta - standard procedure for all new transport pilots. Arriving at Cherry Point, NC in July, Power was assigned to VMR-352 as an R5C copilot. Power and VMR-352 were based at El Centro from October 1944 to January 1945.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks! I knew you would come up with a well-founded answer. TBH I didn't realize that McQueen's jacket had no side panels but a godet instead. Great pictures though and two very smart looking actors. Although the last picture is (almost) spoiled by Robert Wagner's granny slippers. Just about a week ago I saw a quite similar pair at Lidl here in Germany, they were lined with fake fur and had a zipper and molded on rubber soles. Maybe I should call Wagner's agent about them... :)

garzo

One of the Regulars
This jacket that Bob Crane wore is supposedly the same jacket also worn by Frank Sinatra in "Von Ryan's Express." Not sure if it's a true story or Hollywood jacket legend, but the story is out there.

Feature_HogansHeroes-big.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Dixon Cannon

This jacket that Bob Crane wore is supposedly the same jacket also worn by Frank Sinatra in "Von Ryan's Express." Not sure if it's a true story or Hollywood jacket legend, but the story is out there. QUOTE]

Per Acme Depot: http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2paq.shtml#TOC-14 14. Does Bob Crane wear a vintage A-2 in "Hogan's Heroes," and is it the same jacket as the one worn by Frank Sinatra in "Von Ryan's Express"?

Second question first: Yes, the jacket is the same, and this has been confirmed by Bob Crane's son Bob in interviews associated with the 2002 film, Auto Focus. In this film about Bob Crane, Greg Kinnear plays Crane and wears the original jacket, which has remained in the possession of Crane's son.

Now, for the jacket itself. It is not a vintage A-2, but was likely made by a costume department. While it is certainly reminiscent of original A-2 jackets, a close examination will reveal that it is not.

There is no throat clasp.
There are no collar snaps.
The lining is very dark and appears to be rayon. For the early part of the Hogan's Heroes series the lining over the collar stand is a contrasting tan color. This is later changed to the darker color, perhaps because the jacket was relined.
The wind flap over the zipper is much too narrow.
Furthermore, the leather appears unusually thin and soft, likely to improve comfort under film lights, the leather color is very dark and not like most vintage A-2's, and the shoulder decal, which does not look quite like originals, lacks the "Army Air Forces" text.

Update: Now that the first season of "Hogan's Heroes" is out on DVD, I have had a chance to examine the jacket which Bob Crane wears in the pilot episode (filmed in black & white). This jacket is distinctly different from what he wore in subsequent episodes and, while it is made of a heavier leather and looks more like a vintage A-2, I believe that it is either also a costume department jacket or a commercial copy. The knits have very heavy ribbing like athletic sox, the snaps on the collar are huge, the collar itself is pretty oversized, and there is no throat clasp. The AAF insignia on the shoulder sleeve also does not have the "Army Air Forces" text. Some other actors, however, do appear to wear vintage A-2's, and there are some nice B-3 jackets, B-15's, and other wartime jackets to be seen in this and later episodes.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Christopher Reeve in his starring role in the motion picture, 'The Aviator' ≈ [video=youtube;adTg88bwom0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adTg88bwom0[/video]

Oh yeh, it WAS Christopher Reeve as 'The Aviator'!!! - [video=youtube;hI-4gm2J8gg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-4gm2J8gg[/video]

-dixon cannon

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Per Acme Depot: http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2paq.shtml#TOC-14 14. Does Bob Crane wear a vintage A-2 in "Hogan's Heroes," and is it the same jacket as the one worn by Frank Sinatra in "Von Ryan's Express"?

Second question first: Yes, the jacket is the same, and this has been confirmed by Bob Crane's son Bob in interviews associated with the 2002 film, Auto Focus. In this film about Bob Crane, Greg Kinnear plays Crane and wears the original jacket, which has remained in the possession of Crane's son.

Now, for the jacket itself. It is not a vintage A-2, but was likely made by a costume department. While it is certainly reminiscent of original A-2 jackets, a close examination will reveal that it is not.

There is no throat clasp.
There are no collar snaps.
The lining is very dark and appears to be rayon. For the early part of the Hogan's Heroes series the lining over the collar stand is a contrasting tan color. This is later changed to the darker color, perhaps because the jacket was relined.
The wind flap over the zipper is much too narrow.
Furthermore, the leather appears unusually thin and soft, likely to improve comfort under film lights, the leather color is very dark and not like most vintage A-2's, and the shoulder decal, which does not look quite like originals, lacks the "Army Air Forces" text.

Update: Now that the first season of "Hogan's Heroes" is out on DVD, I have had a chance to examine the jacket which Bob Crane wears in the pilot episode (filmed in black & white). This jacket is distinctly different from what he wore in subsequent episodes and, while it is made of a heavier leather and looks more like a vintage A-2, I believe that it is either also a costume department jacket or a commercial copy. The knits have very heavy ribbing like athletic sox, the snaps on the collar are huge, the collar itself is pretty oversized, and there is no throat clasp. The AAF insignia on the shoulder sleeve also does not have the "Army Air Forces" text. Some other actors, however, do appear to wear vintage A-2's, and there are some nice B-3 jackets, B-15's, and other wartime jackets to be seen in this and later episodes.

-dixon cannon

Yep, see post #41. :)

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
top of the 80's (?)

Feature_TopGun-med.jpg

even if maybe not a true G-1

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

Highway to the danger zone
Ride into the danger zone

Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the track
And shovin' into overdrive

Highway to the danger zone
I'll take you
Ridin' into the danger zone

You'll never say hello to you
Until you get it on the red line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go

Out along the edges
Always where I burn to be
The further on the edge
The hotter the intensity

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :)

AFAIK the jacket of the movie was an Avirex G-1,private purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch