Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Marv

A-List Customer
Kate Mara, who was in the first season of the U.S. version of House of Cards (click for larger)

Is she wearing an Aplha I can't really tell from the utility pocket tag, could be I guess.

Speaking of Alpha quaility wise, I don't own an original MA-1 but I did pick up a second hand Alpha MA-1 size XL off the bay which was manufactured in Vietnam (not sure what year this would have been from) and the quality of the jacket I thought was ok.

The jacket being a little too big size wise, I decided to purchase a brand new Alpha MA-1 in a size L (which fits great) to which when it arrived I compared it to the other MA-1 and noticed quite a few differences between the jackets.

The jacket manufactured in Vietnam is thicker, better constructed, better quality materials and hardware used, great knits and in what I would say is the standard olive/sage green colour - albeit as size too large at XL.

The current 2015 spec MA-1 is made in China, thinner, lesser quaility materials used, construction seems ok, the nylon is of a very shiny appearence and also a lighter shade of green plus the pocket flaps have increased in size also when compaired to my other Alpha as well as the actual pockets having been pushed back slightly towards sides of the jacket.

With nylon flight jackets being new to me at this stage I am not fully versed in all the nuances of the L-2A, L-2B, MA-1 etc so this is just pre-educated opinion at present.

But I think what I am trying to say is that is seems Alpha have defiantly sucummed to the fashion market with their jackets more so losing the originality of what they first produced when styling their new jackets lesser keeping with the Mil-Spec patterns which is what we all love about flight jackets.

My search for a mint/good original is still on I think but am willing to take the time to learn more about the nylon range so as to get the best jacket I can/afford etc.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Shearling fans should check this out. Go the link below and type "goose bay 1942" into the search box and click go. It will bring up a bunch of full-colour photos taken at a USAAF base in northern Canada during 1942. Lots of shearling on display, including the rare B7 coats, plus some A2s, cloth B9 parkas, and lots and lots of snow.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/editorial-images

IXL

One Too Many
Shearling fans should check this out. Go the link below and type "goose bay 1942" into the search box and click go. It will bring up a bunch of full-colour photos taken at a USAAF base in northern Canada during 1942. Lots of shearling on display, including the rare B7 coats, plus some A2s, cloth B9 parkas, and lots and lots of snow.

Those were just plain cool. Thanks!!

devilish

A-List Customer
IMG_1952.JPG

Dirtbagdiver

New in Town

Wow, some amazing images there. Great to see all the different fits and the different body shapes. Makes me feel better about how I look in my b-3!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

Great photos! Goose is often one of our emergency alternates during our trans-Atlantic flights. You can plainly see why we never want to go there!

kowalski

Practically Family
hi
I have question ; film Auto focus and A2 jacket (Greg Kinnear)

does anyone have any information in temat A2 ? it oryginal or repro ? ELC, GW ....ect...?
thanks

Attachments

• willem-dafoe-greg-kinnear-auto-focus-2002-BPJHKA.jpg
    willem-dafoe-greg-kinnear-auto-focus-2002-BPJHKA.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 828ec5afb489a1f72a372019e3e9a82b.jpg
    828ec5afb489a1f72a372019e3e9a82b.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, I recall that the consensus was that it was not an original WW2 A-2, but a dressed up repro (same one from Heroes).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto