Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Last night I watched the film "Capricorn One" about a faked manned mission to Mars. Near the end is a spectacular aerial chase between a biplane and two helicopters. The movie is excellent, but kind of obscure, so for those who just want the chase here it is. Someone can presumably i.d. the aircraft involved. Yes, that's Telly Savalas in an A-2 pretending to be a crop duster pilot!

I remember going to that film when I was a kid. I still remember the snake eating scene.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched the film "Capricorn One" about a faked manned mission to Mars. Near the end is a spectacular aerial chase between a biplane and two helicopters. The movie is excellent, but kind of obscure, so for those who just want the chase here it is. Someone can presumably i.d. the aircraft involved. Yes, that's Telly Savalas in an A-2 pretending to be a crop duster pilot!

It's a Boeing Stearman biplane, flown by the late great Frank Tallman.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Kojak in an A-2. There must have been a civilian company making those jackets with the heavy ribbing on the knits because the same detail is on Ford's jacket in Hanover Street (see previous pages).

Treetopflyer

Practically Family

Great scene! Thanks for posting.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Kojak in an A-2. There must have been a civilian company making those jackets with the heavy ribbing on the knits because the same detail is on Ford's jacket in Hanover Street (see previous pages).

Wested made Ford's Hanover Street jacket. I think that ribbing was the easiest to source.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Scenes from the film "Desperate Journey", 1942. The jackets are odd, might be the B2, but look more like a non-historical design whipped up the costume department.

thor

One Too Many
IMG_8212.JPG
Sam Shepard (RIP :()

Deacon211

One Too Many
I've never met the man myself, but I've heard a few who have suggested that they'd have rather associated with with Sam than Chuck given the choice.

Thor, is that pic from a movie? Sam looks to be playing somebody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Funny you say that Deacon, Robin Olds and Jack Broughton didn't have a lot good to say about Chuck either.
I also say an interview with Chuck where he said that Sam's portrayal of him in The Right Stuff made him a household name when he had always been an unknown.

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
Regarding Gen. Yeager, i saw him in the crowd in the Oklahoma City airport, probably in late 1990s. he wore bib overalls, carried a cardboard shipping box, and seemed to be trying very hard not to be noticed. he was making Champion Spark Plug (i think) commercials at the time. i tried to honor his attempt at not being noticed after staring for a little while. the flight was from OKC to Salt Lake.
i was luckily traveling in the front cabin, aisle seat, and i looked up when he said "excuse me" to push past and sit next to me. still not sure it was him, i noticed the writing on the cardboard box, and it was addressed to Gen Chas Yeager, somewhere in California.
i complimented the western boots he wore, which got a smile and some conversation. he had been at Tinker AFB near OKC for some event and was going home. both being aviation vets of Vietnam, we had some conversation of the standard type--where were you when, etc.
i found him to be a nice gentleman, certainly worthy of my respect. the best conversation, and most animated from him, was about his hunting dogs. as i recall, his wife had passed not too long before (1990, i checked.) after a few minutes, he asked my indulgence since his goal for the rest of the flight was to sleep. i can certainly understand that goal. he seemed pretty normal and OK to me, just not real talkative, but that doesn't make him a bad guy. just saying...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@galvestonokie,

That's an awesome anecdote! I'm really jealous!
I want a 60's Rolex Submariner not because James Bond wore one, but because Chuck did. He is an icon.

It's really interesting to read Olds' and Broughton's opinions about of him, coming from totally different directions, about the same incident, and disliking Yeager for completely different reasons.

Very curious.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, everyone has their own take on things. Yeager certainly sounds decent enough for your interaction with him.

I never met him myself, I just heard from a few people who had less positive experiences.

I'm sure many people could say that about me! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points