Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fathers and sons...

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My dad will always be my hero. Mostly because through the good and bad
times, he never abandoned us or took to drinking. He didn't finish school.
He struggled and worked very hard so that we never knew what hunger was
and somehow I got something for Christmas. He was a quiet person. My mom
once told me later in life that he changed in some ways after the war.
What ever demons he had, I never saw them. Although they did have fights
all the time. But they always kissed and made up afterwards.
dad.JPG

Mom & Dad.png

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's always more or less sad,

My dad was a real golden era type. From a humble background, but he worked like a robot. Never took a sick day. He was as dependable as they come. Always made sure that we had a roof over our heads and food on the table. Led an interesting life before he settled down (including his WWII experiences.) Yet he was a mystery. I remember each of the few times he let slip and gave me a brief glimpse into his interior self. I don't think I ever heard him say those three magic words. I guess it is a cliche': he was a strong, silent man. I imagine my mom must have been a bit lonely. I often wonder what it was like to be him.

I have perhaps over-compensated. I tell my family that I love them frequently and my moods and thoughts are an open book. Mysterious, I am not.

Last edited:
My Father was born in 1905. Raised on a farm in eastern Kansas and southern Indiana. After high school he worked painting lampshades which was popular at the time. He continued artwork ( which became precision drawing ) until shortly before WW2 when he exaggerated his portfolio to hire on designing aircraft at a factory in San Diego. He was there when Pearl was bombed. After six years he moved back to Indiana and became a mechanical engineer and machine designer with a team of draftsmen working under him at a wire factory where he was employed until retiring at 72 in 1977. He was also a very good commercial and portrait artist, plus oil painter. A very manly but loving man he made me feel very special as his only child. I seemed to inherit the artistic talent which seemed to please him over the years. I miss him dearly.

HanauMan

Practically Family
My father has always been my hero. Brought up in 40s / 50s rural North Carolina, he was a practical man and self educated. He only got his high school diploma in the army. He always read widely, a habit that he passed onto me. He was an outdoors kind of guy, enjoyed fishing. He could do anything with his hands and ended up a career motorpool sergeant in the army keeping the trucks and armor running. He was also a hard man and didn't show his feelings easily. I know that he was disappointed in me as I am nothing like him but he was always there to help me out. He took care of his family and he lived a man's life. I miss him and wish that we were closer. Never told him those three little words, now its too late. Still, Dad, you did a great job.

275 by Al Sutherland, on Flickr

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Those three magic words".

I was reflecting this morning about that.

I came from a very large family of cousins, aunts and uncles.
But it was only my mom,grandmother and my oldest aunt who was like a mother that expressed themselves with
hugs, kisses and those three words to
me.

The rest of the clan were nice, never
mean and in their own ways, I knew they
cared, but they were not demonstrative
with me or with each other.
One exception was a very cute gal who
liked me a lot.
But dang it...she was a cousin. :(

A friend at tennis once told me that he
enjoyed my company & was never threaten by my height. I'm 6'3" and he is less than 5 feet tall.
Over the years, I've come to realize that
people express to me things that they would not to others because they sense that I don't judge and an easy person
to be around.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points