Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Authors

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Is anyone here on Goodreads.com? If not, and you love books, I HIGHLY recommend it. I've found a ton of books that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. Unfortunately, that means my to-be-read pile is now enormous.

www.goodreads.com

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Agatha Christie. Though I dont think she always plays fair, I love both the Poirot and the Marple mysteries.

Raymond Chandler: I love the hard-boiled detective fiction.

J.K Rowling: I cant help it. I love those Potter Kids. And the Magic. :)

John Bellairs: I really enjoyed his Lewis Barnavelt and his Johnny Dixon (and even the Anthony Monday) series. They are set in the 50s and the kid detectives thwarting magical horrors are a lot of fun.

Brad Thorson: Modern Day espionage at its finest.

H. P. Lovecraft:
His books are just creepy. And I love that! =)

(I currently want to get I the Jury, by Mickey Spillane.)

Kishtu

Practically Family
1. Edmund Crispin, for ludicrous and erudite detective fiction. A shame he wrote so few.
2. Elizabeth Goudge, for simple but engrossing stories and wholly believable dogs.
3. Georgette Heyer. Delightful, timeless, Regency froth.
4. Mary O'Hara - recently rediscovered from a non-horsy perspective and I love the simplicity of the stories just as much.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I like Mickey Spillane and Raymond Chandler pretty well. I've only read "The Long Goodbye by Chandler though.

I didn't like a James Ellroy book I read. I liked the LA Confidential movie, but it jumps all over the place. The book I read did too. I looked on amazon, and I can't work out which one I read, but it wasn't LA Confidential. There was a black guy who went undercover in the Black Panthers. Most of the main characters were dead by the end of the book (which is one of the few parts I liked).

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Thorson: Modern Day espionage at its finest.
(I currently want to get I the Jury, by Mickey Spillane.)

Hi

I couldn't find Brad Thorson on amazon. Spelling? If you want to read Mickey Spllane's stuff I suggest getting the three trilogys:

Volume 1: is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451203526

I was so involved with the book that I read the first two novels on a two legged trip to Seattle.

Later

Duper

Practically Family
Well I have been hanging around in the hat section for a few years , so here is my first post in the reading section. Defining a favourite is difficult, but an author who has special meaning to me is John D. MacDonald. I have read all of the Travis McGee series he wrote as well as many of his other older pieces.

My grandfather used to lend them to me 30 years ago and when he passed 14 years ago I went to a local book shop and bought the entire Travis McGee series and waited 2 months for them to be delivered. I have reread a number of them as sort of a small tribute and rememberence to a nice old man that treated me well and shared what he could. Thanks Pops!

Seeing as most of the books were set back almost 50 years ago I think they fit nicely into The Lounge environment.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
Perhaps Dennis Young was referring to Brad Meltzer. I haven't read any of his books, but he's a pretty popular writer in that genre. My favorite political espionage writer is Tom Clancy although he's been less than prolific the last few years. I also thought his later offerings weren't nearly as good as the earlier ones, possibly because his books became too long. He could really have used a good editor. If you're a Clancy fan, you'll like Vince Flynn and David Baldacci, his Camel Club series in particular.

P. G. Wodehouse has become a big favorite over the last several years. I enjoy John Grisham's legal thrillers. If you're a sports fan, John Feinstein has written the best sports books for the last twenty-five years. I like to read some of the clssics from time to time. My favorite among them is James Fenimore Cooper's Pathfinder series that includes The Last of the Mohicans. I also enjoy reading about Freemasonry.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I like Mickey Spillane and Raymond Chandler pretty well. I've only read "The Long Goodbye by Chandler though.

Later

I've read the first five books written by Chandler, but couldn't get through The Long Goodbye;it's just too different from Chandler's previous Marlowe novels (and I don't think I'll ever read Playback, which I know is very different from any of the other Marlowe books).

winiwoipy

New in Town
My favorite authors are Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Kay Arthur, Lori Wick, Lurlene McDanie, William Paul Young, Paul Washer, Stephen Arterburn and Ted Dekker.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've read the first five books written by Chandler, but couldn't get through The Long Goodbye;it's just too different from Chandler's previous Marlowe novels (and I don't think I'll ever read Playback, which I know is very different from any of the other Marlowe books).

I love Chandler, as I've likely made clear in other posts here in the Lounge, and I love THE LONG GOODBYE (and PLAYBACK's worth reading, though it definitely falls short of his other novels).

TLG has a elegiac quality that I think works quite well, so you might give it another try one of these days.

Have you read the short stories, Widebrim?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My list:
Alexander Baron (author of 'From the City From the Plough')
George Simenon
Patrick Hamilton

and not forgetting the greatest of them all ...

Dr Seuss.

Last edited:

hchilder

New in Town
So far i like :

Khaled hosseini, you should try his A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS it's really amazing :D
my second is Jodi Picault.. i like her 19 MINUTES - about a boy who shot his classmates.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Most of these have been listed here several times but these are my very favorite, in no particular order:

William Shakespeare
Charles Dickens (should be on everyone's list!)
Leo Tolstoy
Mark Twain
J.R.R. Tolkien
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Sir Walter Scott
James Clavell

Hmmm, quite a few British authors.

m0nk

One Too Many
Rex Stout (at the top of my list, currently)
William Shakespeare
J.R.R. Tolkien
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Jim Butcher

Just to name a few...

haddinsteve

New in Town
These are mine favorite author :: Philip K. Dick , Octavia Butler , Hunter S Thompson , Margaret Atwood , Stephen King , J.R.R. Tolkien , Charlie Huston , Frank Herbert , Iain M. Banks , John Ajvide Lindqvist , Neil Gaiman , Jon Krakauer ,George R. R. Martin , Kim Stanley Robinson , Piers Anthony , Joe R Lansdale .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ