Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Authors

Kerouac and Burroughs are overplayed jokers-the latter all the more tragically so, but their insipid production amounts to little.
K should have stayed at Columbia and seen an Ivy League education through or stayed the course during WWII, perhaps his psyche
was too fragile, and I do not necessarily fault him for this lapse; rather he seems deformed in mind and spirit. Immature but talented,
skewered in perspective. On The Road is clearly a man in search of self but puerile overall.
Burroughs' Naked Lunch was cannibalized for Junkie, and to its credit affords an historical snapshot of Mexico and addiction.
A sorry son-of-a-bitch born with a silver spoon in his hand and another shoved up his ass.

Ginz and Ferli are credible, but the entire chapter remains a frayed soul....

sorry for the rant :eek:

Don't hold back! LOL

In reality I am a fair fan of most Burroughs writings. There toward the end he did start to get a little repetitive. Just playing to his audience, I suppose (that, or the heroin had finally caught up with him).

I also am a big fan of Hemingway, Vonnegut, and Tolkien.

Hands down, far and above all the rest, though, my all time favorite is Flannery O'Connor. Perhaps growing up in the rural south lends to my appreciation of her depictions of the ****ed-uppedness of it all.

Among contemporary authors, I enjoy Harry Crews, Cormac McCarthy, John Waters, and Peter Guralnick.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hands down, far and above all the rest, though, my all time favorite is Flannery O'Connor. Perhaps growing up in the rural south lends to my appreciation of her depictions of the ****ed-uppedness of it all.

I confess that I am in love with Flannery O'Connor-a light in American letters.
Her canon; most notably Wise Blood; The Violent Bear It Away and other works are not easy, but the lady fascinates.:love:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I confess that I am in love with Flannery O'Connor-a light in American letters.
Her canon; most notably Wise Blood; The Violent Bear It Away and other works are not easy, but the lady fascinates.:love:

She really does: in pictures she looks so quiet and demure - then you read her stories and she's tougher than Hemingway and, imho, more interesting.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Novelists:

James Dickey
James Salter
Cormac McCarthy
Gabriel García Marquez
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Ernest Hemingway

...for starters.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
She really does: in pictures she looks so quiet and demure - then you read her stories and she's tougher than Hemingway and, imho, more interesting.

Ironically, I went past Hemingway's boyhood home in Oak Park this morning. And, yes, Flannery O'Connor is much more interesting.
There is a depth to her that casts a spell and weaves a bewilderment, and I fell hopelessly in love with a belle whose strength of
character, literary talent, and courage eclipse those of more recognized stature.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I love Michael Crichtons science fiction work, particularly Sphere, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Prey. His writings on morality and science really interest me.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
This should be good. J
I have to admit I love the Harry Potter series (JK Rowling).
I love Poe and read him most Halloween.
I loved John Bellaire’s Johnny Dixon and Lewis Barnevelt series.
I like Agatha Christie.
Raymond Chandeler
Earl Der Biggers (Charlie Chan)
Dashiell Hammett
Lovecraft.
Edgar Rice Burrows
Jules Verne
Tolkien
Too many really to mention. J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members