Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Styles

New in Town
Hello all,

Being an old car nut, I have to ask: what would your favorite "golden era" car have been/ be now? If you could drive it now, would you? My answer:
DCP_0010.jpg

Simply the stylingist car of all time!

Roger

A-List Customer
Lincoln, Lincoln, Lincoln

That's a nice shot of a Tucker. Where did you take it? Harrah's in Reno, Nevada?

My favorite cars are Lincolns. The 1941, Lincoln Continental Coupe and Covertible are the best looking cars of the 1940's. The grills are sloping and graceful, the V-12 was only 120 Horses! Thank God for giving Detroit the high compression engines of today.

From the 1930's I love the 1937 Zephyr coupe and the 1934 Model K touring cabriolet. It's interesting to note that the Zephyr name was dropped in 1941, came back as a mid-sized Mercury in 1979-1982 and was resurrected this year as a compact Lincoln seden. At the Detroit Auto Show the 1937 model was parked next to the 2006, talk about not fitting into grandpa's shoes.

Next runners up; though I hate to say anything positive about GM; 1948 Buick Riviera Coupe, 1949 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, 1942 Buick Roadmaster convertible.

Of course Deusenbergs are rolling art pieces but I don't have $800,000 plus to
park in my garage and admire.:cheers1:

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'm an old MOPAR man, but I have to say, I have fond memories of those big old Buicks as mentioned in the post above!:)

Then again, I have a REAL soft spot for the UGLY early 50's Studebaker Commodores. Those bullet nosed, tall cab sedans were something....and sold like hotcakes!

Regards! Michaelson

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Toadroaster

I too like the big Buicks of that era. That was the time when Buicks were Doctors cars not Doctor patient's cars. Bob Lutz says he wants to make Buick the Lexus or BMW of American cars. In the 1960's BMW said they wanted to be the Buick of European cars. How times have changed. At least this year Buick brought back a V-8 in the Lucerne and dropped that antiquated 3.8 V-6 in the Lucerne. Now go all the way baby, make it rear drive off of the STS and CTS platform and run Lexus for their money. Won't happen though, the accountants and UAW will balk.:cool:

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Cadillac - "Standard of the World"

What wonderful automobiles Americans used to craft! My grandfather always drove Cadillacs - always black and always new. Here's a photo of him with my mother in 1952 -

mothercaddy1meg5ed.png
[/URL][/IMG]

My great-aunt bought a new Cadillac Coupe DeVille (1950 or 1951) and drove the car daily until her death 40 years later. She was widely recognized in her small Southern town as a tuft of blue hair just visible above the massive steering wheel. She was a seemstress and dressmaker, and made most of her own clothes to match the two tone color scheme of her Cadillac.

auntfrankiecadillac8009tj.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I recently bought a similar car, but decided on Cadillac's 1952 limousine version of the Fleetwood (Model 7533X). I wanted a big car to collect my boat's guests from the airport, and the limo seats five guests in the rear compartment. I also knew that I would never be willing to leave the car unattended in a parking lot, and never be willing to turn the car over to a valet. The best alternative was a chauffeur to babysit the car while I was in the restaurant / bar /theater. I found a responsible college kid, vetted his driving record, and had him fitted with a traditional chauffeur's tunic, jodhpurs, and riding boots. Finding a chauffeur was a bit more difficult than I had imagined. Mid-century limousines were always hand-made, and the front chauffeur's compartment was custom fitted to the original chauffeur. The driver was sent to the manufacturing plant, where the front chauffeur's bench was fitted and adjusted to the driver, then welded in place. If you later fired your chauffeur, you had to find another driver of the same height (or you had to buy a new car - great job security for the chauffeur). I had to find a driver who could fit comfortably into the unadjustable driver's seat. Limousines of this era were designed with two distinct interior treatments. The front chauffeur's compartment was covered in black tuck-and-roll calfskin with a matching black calfskin headliner. The rear compartment was upholstered in heavy woven wool brocade. Leather was not considered a luxury seating material - only rich woven fabrics were suitable for the behinds of the wealthy. The rich and famous sat on wool and silk - the driver sat on cow.

And so here's my new toy - a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Golden Anniversary Limousine, Model 7533X with Coachwork by Derham

derhamdetailed4vh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a painting of the car by automotive artist John Lander

Naama

Practically Family
Well, I'll go for the GTI
vwkaefer1.jpg
or this darling
stud1.jpg
God, if I only could afford an oldtimer :/

Naama

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
That finish is smooth as...

And so here's my new toy - a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Golden Anniversary Limousine, Model 7533X with Coachwork by Derham

derhamdetailed4vh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a painting of the car by automotive artist John Lander

a baby's behind. Gorgeous car.:cheers1:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ooooh! More car talk!!!

Oh, the '48 Tucker.... DRULE! Was my top dream car and I still love them very much but, I'd have to go with something I'd feel OK driving and finding parts for.

Buick: Very nice cars! All the models from the late 20's to the early 50's I'd have to say I really enjoy. I really enjoy the 1938 Buick Y!

1970_2mg.jpg

1938-Buick-Y-Job-ra-1280x960.jpg

This is on the top of the list! 1934 La Salle!
34LaSalleSrs350CvtCpe1.jpeg

And for a close runner up, (since I'm a MoPar man) if I never make that million, I'll gladly take this, a 1941 Plymouth convertible.
41done7ut.jpg

=WR=

cneil

Familiar Face
My favorite Cars, some of.

My Number one pick has to be the Duisenberg Model SJ, any year of its production and any body style. They where all great.
Auburns always rate high with me.
Cord L-29, A wonderful long classy looking car.
Cord 810 and 812, probably the single most advanced car, design and engineering wise ever introduced, looks good too.

All Packard’s, I really like the 1937 Model 120, I know it was a mass produced car, but its line are good and it is a good car.
1937 Chrysler Airflow (Unique, it hits me as ugly at first but I have grown to like them.
1931 Chrysler Imperial CL. Just WOW styling.
1936 Pierce Arrow – Silver Arrow, that is a very sleek looking car.
1932 Pierce Arrow V12, Just solid.
1932 Rolls-Royce Phantom II.
1929 Mormon Roosevelt, a Junior Luxury car.
1928 Detroit-Dobell, The most advanced Steam powered car ever built, too bad their where not more.
Franklin Air Cooled Motor Cars. Any, they are all net.
1913-1915 Stutz Bearcat and its rival the Mercer race-about.
They are both sporty ( This being Bakersfield, where Barney Oldsfield made Stutz famous in the Oil ado Race, I will favor the Stutz)
Huppmobile, basically a 3/4 size America built Rolls-Royce, Great car, under appreciated.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good taste.

I say, those are some very nice cars you listed there.

Going back to the '48 Tucker....

About 5 years ago, I took a tour at the Nethercutt museum in Sylmar CA. It's one of the best auto museums I've ever visited. As I entered the museum, I saw a white all original '48 Tucker sitting in their first showroom. I just about died! The first Tucker I saw was when the Smithsonian was on the road in LA and had a display at the LA convention center. That car was roped off and couldn't get with in 10 feet of it! At the Nethercutt, I saw an all original Tucker that was in near mint condition which I could walk up real close to.

After the tour was over, a long time dream of mine was about to come true! The tour guide was friends with the friend I came with, he let me sit behind the wheel of the Tucker! I'm telling you, sitting there, holding the wheel of such a rare car such as that and looking around and taking it all in was truly amazing! I'll never forget that experience! I kick my self for not having a camera but, the tour guide told me to come back any time and he'd be happy to show me the car again!

For me, I believe I enjoy these cars more just seeing them then I'd enjoy owning one. I'm a simple man and would enjoy just having a nice late 30's convertible of a standard American make, something I could get parts for easily. It's a dream to have a nice car like that, but it's also a dream to DRIVE one! And to drive it often!

=WR=

1948TuckerHoodOrn.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
It depends on the era. For the Edwardian I prefer something along the lines of a Silver Ghost.

Rolls_Royce_Silver_Ghost.jpg

For the 1920s, I really like the Mercedes with the angled grille.

Mercedes1925.jpg

For the 1930s, I like the Packard.

Packard%20Dietrich%20Conv.%201935.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mycroft said:
My favorite '40's car:

willisjeep.jpg

Car? That's a 40's Jeep! :p

Man, I have taken many a ride in my friend's '42 Ford Jeep and I know that I want one bad! They can go just about any where! Just a kick to ride in and explore around the country side in! Got to love those WWII Jeeps!

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Car? That's a 40's Jeep! :p

Man, I have taken many a ride in my friend's '42 Ford Jeep and I know that I want one bad! They can go just about any where! Just a kick to ride in and explore around the country side in! Got to love those WWII Jeeps!

=WR=

They are fun, I have been if I remeber corectly in the Israeli copy of it when I was in Israel a few years back. Now where is Matt and his commet about the Bentely and John Steed. ;)

<-(M)->

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
What? No 40's cars you like Vlad?:p

You have fine taste in cars friend! The Packard's of the 30's are very beautiful!

=WR=

My favorite 40s car, the '41 Cadillac was already posted.

Now, as for 60s cars, here is one which is just my style...

khruschev1.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Jeep Trivia

I have learned that 8,000 GI's came down with something called Jeep Seat during WWII. Ingrown hair folicles at the base of the tailbone that become nasty, swollen and must be lanced & packed.
Cause is unkown, but it was ascribed to riding in bouncy jeeps. Unlikely, as a middle-aged female relative was unfortunate enough to get a case of Jeep Seat recently!

I know. Ew.

Mycroft

One Too Many
scotrace said:
I have learned that 8,000 GI's came down with something called Jeep Seat during WWII. Ingrown hair folicles at the base of the tailbone that become nasty, swollen and must be lanced & packed.
Cause is unkown, but it was ascribed to riding in bouncy jeeps. Unlikely, as a middle-aged female relative was unfortunate enough to get a case of Jeep Seat recently!

I know. Ew.

Dude, not cool, hope she gets better. :eek: I also like Ford V8's like Clyde's and some of the moonshine runners I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112