Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
front.jpg

That is a mean looking car, isn't it? I was reading about them in a book on classic cars of the 50s. It says that the '59s were intended to be a slight facelift of the '58s, but when Chrysler's "Forward Look" stole the show in '57, GM went back to the drawing board. The '59 Buicks, as a result, had one of the lowest and sleekest body lines, and in my opinion, one of the angriest lol

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
1937 Cord Roadster taken at Dalcrombie, Olinda in the Dandenongs Victoria Australia

The car is actually a 1937 Cord 812 Westchester sedan; Cord offered two models, the 810 and the 812, which was supercharged and can be identified by the chrome exhausts on the side of the bonnet. The two model range comprised four different body styles; the Westchester and Beverley sedans, a four passenger convertible pheaton and a two passenger "Sportsman's" convertible. The Beverley sedan had a rear "bustleback" trunk, while the Westchester was a smooth fastback; otherwise, other than minor interior trim differences, the two models were virtually identical from the front bumper to the the rear wheels.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That is a mean looking car, isn't it? I was reading about them in a book on classic cars of the 50s. It says that the '59s were intended to be a slight facelift of the '58s, but when Chrysler's "Forward Look" stole the show in '57, GM went back to the drawing board. The '59 Buicks, as a result, had one of the lowest and sleekest body lines, and in my opinion, one of the angriest lol

I've heard the same story. I believe in a Rodders Journal article on a '58 Impala. That essentially makes the '58s the last of the Harley Earl "longer, lower, wider" GM models, and perhaps the purest expression of his design philosophy.

-Dave

They sure were something, weren't they. In my opinion, 1960 was the end for GM's real flamboyant cars. In 1961, they were far subdued compared to their prior counterparts. Even in 60 you could see they were toning it down a bit, especially on the Buick.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've heard the same story. I believe in a Rodders Journal article on a '58 Impala. That essentially makes the '58s the last of the Harley Earl "longer, lower, wider" GM models, and perhaps the purest expression of his design philosophy.

-Dave
I once owned a 1958 4 door Olds, it was a very heavy car, had a nice ride but was a tank. It had the two tone cream and tan paint, cream and brown interior, electric everything, and a horn that would blow skirts up on the gals walking on the sidewalk!

Andarius

New in Town
Are you trying to upload them to the board? The board won't host photos, you have host them externally, like through Photobucket or Flickr.

Interesting that you skip directly from the prewar style of Hudson straight to the "Hash" Nash-based Hudsons. I'm a fan of the '55s myself, but we're in the minority. The '48 to '54 vehicles are also very cool, and probably the most collectible Hudsons since WWI.

-Dave

The '55 has been in the family since it was ordered new from the factory, so it wasn't really a matter of preference, just what I was able to get my hands on. Although, I agree that "Hash" Hudsons are some of the most underated cars of the 1950's. The thing is a dream to drive. As for the stepdowns.... I like them, but its sort of the "go to" Hudson. In Hudson circles Stepdowns are a dime a dozen. Call me snobby, but I prefer something that not everbody has.

Ahh, the '58 Olds. A car that marks the height of chrome use. God, I wish they still made 'em like that.

I once owned a 1958 4 door Olds, it was a very heavy car, had a nice ride but was a tank. It had the two tone cream and tan paint, cream and brown interior, electric everything, and a horn that would blow skirts up on the gals walking on the sidewalk!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ahh, the '58 Olds. A car that marks the height of chrome use. God, I wish they still made 'em like that.

A certain Ford designer bought a used '58 Oldsmobile, rearranged the hood lettering to read "Slobmodel", and drove it to work as a reminder never to revisit the excesses of the late 1950s. The message was apparently effective, as we're only now once again getting cars with shiney trim.

Oh, and I've heard several references to the side trim on the '58 Olds being decorated with musical notes.

-Dave

Effingham

A-List Customer
I'm finding that it's really difficult to find some of these vintage cars. Usually when you want a used car, you just go down to the used car lot. Apparently when you add five or six decades to the "used" factor, it makes it a bit harder.

Any secrets to the car hunt? I'm thinking about getting that 46 Olds 98 that my dad had... or barring that, a replicar ($300 grand is beyond my means) of that 27 Auburn boattail speedster he had.

Justin B

One Too Many
Not really any secret.

If you're looking for a finished car...you're going to pay for it. Check auctions and online forums.

If you're looking for one to build, scoure the classifieds, online sites, and then get in your car/truck/SUV/Bobsled, and go out looking.

Yes, I know this story very well. I have to disagree with them, personally. I love the chrome and excess of the late 50's auto. They still sold well and '58 was a recession year.

A certain Ford designer bought a used '58 Oldsmobile, rearranged the hood lettering to read "Slobmodel", and drove it to work as a reminder never to revisit the excesses of the late 1950s. The message was apparently effective, as we're only now once again getting cars with shiney trim.

Oh, and I've heard several references to the side trim on the '58 Olds being decorated with musical notes.

-Dave

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well the 1958 I had was my very first car. I really wish I still had it now. It was a tank, but what a ride the car had. I owned the car when it was only 10 years old but whoever owned it before me had kept in it extra good condition.

Not to say too much, but the back seats in those cars were great....hahah!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm finding that it's really difficult to find some of these vintage cars. Usually when you want a used car, you just go down to the used car lot. Apparently when you add five or six decades to the "used" factor, it makes it a bit harder.

Any secrets to the car hunt? I'm thinking about getting that 46 Olds 98 that my dad had... or barring that, a replicar ($300 grand is beyond my means) of that 27 Auburn boattail speedster he had.
Auto Trader magazine and eBay motors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21