Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Steven180

One of the Regulars
May I pose a question? I am a sports care enthusiast, and being a novice to knowledge about this type of car in our genre, can anyone point out some of the more unique, popular, and stylish sports cars of the 30's and 40's?

Thanks, M.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
May I pose a question? I am a sports care enthusiast, and being a novice to knowledge about this type of car in our genre, can anyone point out some of the more unique, popular, and stylish sports cars of the 30's and 40's?

Thanks, M.

In America they were mostly called “hop ups” and “gow jobs”. After WWII, the term “hot rod” came into vogue and persists to this day.

They were unique, because virtually every one was different; popular, because they were built from the inexpensive remains of inexpensive cars (largely Fords), and stylish because... well, sometimes they were stylish, although many more looked more like jalopies.

The high-end formula c. 1939 was something like: take a ten year old Ford roadster; remove the fenders, splash aprons, and running boards; swap out the radiator and surround for the pieces from a ‘32 Ford; swap out the four-cylinder engine and non-synchro transmission with the newest Ford V8 and transmission you could afford (alternately: hop up the four barrel); blacksmith the front axle to lower the suspension; reverse the spring eyes on the front and rear springs to lower it even more; bolt on a set of 16-inch wheels from a ‘35 Ford; and call up Duke Hallock or George Duvall for a vee’d speedboat-type windshield.

Voila, pre-war hop up!

Or did you mean something like Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs?

-Dave

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
not of the "Golden Era" but definitely my favorite, cause I own it. 1999 Cadillac DeVille (50th Year Anniversary DeVille model) The only one I could find or afford.

It has very classic features, though, so it could almost pass for a Golden Era car :) My grandfather drove a 1988 DeVille until he passed, it was this lovely wine colour.

Steven180

One of the Regulars

-Dave

Yes Sir, the Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs were along the lines of what I am curious about. Looked at a sporting 1940 Jaguar - sweet. The sportster / speedster models is what I was looking for some tutoring on.

Thanks,
M.

No V8 was cooler for a post-war hot-rod than the Ford Flathead :)

In America they were mostly called “hop ups” and “gow jobs”. After WWII, the term “hot rod” came into vogue and persists to this day.

They were unique, because virtually every one was different; popular, because they were built from the inexpensive remains of inexpensive cars (largely Fords), and stylish because... well, sometimes they were stylish, although many more looked more like jalopies.

The high-end formula c. 1939 was something like: take a ten year old Ford roadster; remove the fenders, splash aprons, and running boards; swap out the radiator and surround for the pieces from a ‘32 Ford; swap out the four-cylinder engine and non-synchro transmission with the newest Ford V8 and transmission you could afford (alternately: hop up the four barrel); blacksmith the front axle to lower the suspension; reverse the spring eyes on the front and rear springs to lower it even more; bolt on a set of 16-inch wheels from a ‘35 Ford; and call up Duke Hallock or George Duvall for a vee’d speedboat-type windshield.

Voila, pre-war hop up!

-Dave

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Yes Sir, the Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs were along the lines of what I am curious about. Looked at a sporting 1940 Jaguar - sweet. The sportster / speedster models is what I was looking for some tutoring on.

Thanks,
M.

In 1940 a Jaguar would still be called SS which stood for Swallow Sidecars as that was what factory started up making. SS had a really bad sound to it after WWII so the cars changed name to Jaguar in 1945. The model you are searching for was the Mark IV and it was in production between 1936 and 1949 and you can find all about it here

MikeKardec

One Too Many
All through the 70s,80s,90s even to a slight extent the 00s, the greats of the 50s and 60s could be competitive, performance-wise with new cars ... you might even include a 30s or 40s hotrod or two. These days? Forget about it. With the most boring V6 in the new Ford Mustang is putting out more horsepower than a Shelby GT350 it is time to rejoice in the SLOW cars of the past. I love the old Traction Avants and Citron DM... not that there's anything wrong with a 1948 Oldsmobile Sedanette. I'd take that too.

It's amazing how long bits of deco styling held on in some American cars. Years ago I had a '65 Mustang and the rear view mirror had some wonderful deco-ish or moderne detailing on the back ... not that you's ever see it unless you plastered your nose to the center of the windshield but it was cool. I ran steel wheels with early 60s Ford center caps and the script for the F-O-R-D was quite deco too. There were details on even the 60s Stingrays that had a touch of that look too, hidden amongst the jet pilot chic.

I had a very hot motor built for that Mustang but I think a "works" Mini Cooper would give it a run for it's money these days. So, looking for a classic older car, I bought a Land Rover. Talk about slow ...

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
158470480607705824_l2aP1KgF_c.jpg

1927 Hudson Super-Six!
What I would give to be the proud owner!!!!:eusa_doh:

Later in the era:
1005sr_21_z+kenny_freeman_1934_chevy_coupe+.jpg

1934 Chevy coupe

1938masterdpsf.jpg

1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe 4 door sport sedan

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I streetrodded my 29 Essex because original parts back then were hard to come by.
Still a unique car and I love driving it, when I get time!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Of the modern, streamline cars the '35 Chrysler Airstream 8 (Model CZ) is probably my favorite. It incorporates the tremendous improvements in chassis weight distribution and welded monocoque body structure pioneered in the Airflow models, but with stunning conventional styling. They are a delight to drive.
1935-chrysler-cz-airstream-dsf.jpg

Look at that dash!

1935-chrysler-cz-airstream-dash.jpg

BigFitz

Practically Family
Of the modern, streamline cars the '35 Chrysler Airstream 8 (Model CZ) is probably my favorite. It incorporates the tremendous improvements in chassis weight distribution and welded monocoque body structure pioneered in the Airflow models, but with stunning conventional styling. They are a delight to drive.
1935-chrysler-cz-airstream-dsf.jpg

Look at that dash!

1935-chrysler-cz-airstream-dash.jpg

A beautiful car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui