Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Historic Buildings or Places

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Bannerman's Castle (1901)
Pollepel Island, Hudson River, New York

The king of this castle was military surplus king Francis Bannerman VI (1851-1918) who built it as a warehouse for his vast stocks of weaponry and munitions.

http://www.artificialowl.net/2008/07/bannermans-castle-abandoned-military.html

evening.jpg

I want to live there! Beautiful!

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
For places that I would like to visit, but are not around anymore:

446369023_11a0b1da3b.jpg

The L. L. Bradbury Mansion - Los Angeles (it was torn down in 1929). Harold Lloyd once referred to the mansion as "pneumonia hall" because of it's drafty hallways. lol I would still loved to have seen it (and I'll bring some serious winter gear!)

For places that I would like to visit (but have not gone to):

large_DohenyMansion.jpg

DragMeToHell_DohenyMansion.jpg

pompeianroom.jpg

The Doheny Mansion - Los Angeles (Now home to Mount St Mary's College)

I would love to have seen Bannerman's Castle in its heyday back when it was a veritable treasure trove of Civil War artifacts. Today the original Bannerman army surplus catalogs are prized by collectors.

Walmart goes Art Deco

Walmart located at Crenshaw Plaza in L.A. in what was originally the Broadway department store. Built in 1947, Crenshaw Plaza was one of the first modern shopping centers. These images were captured from Google Earth. On a grisly historic note: The body of Elizabeth Short, aka "The Black Dahlia" was found just a few blocks from Crenshaw Plaza.

walmart4.jpg

walmart3.jpg

walmart2.jpg

walmart1.jpg

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I agree, very weird.
Sam really went all out on that one.
Wow that Hearst pool is just incredible, it's the only word I can use to describe it.

birkie

Familiar Face
I've never been in it, but surprisingly there is an art deco masterpiece in the middle of Syracuse: The Niagara Mohawk building:

The exterior lighting is amazing. They are somehow able to change the colour emitted by the light strips in middle "tower" of the building, and tend to match the theme of various holidays or seasons (e.g. red for Valentine's day, green for St. Patrick's day, purple for Easter, etc).

The detail is impressive:

Last edited:
I used to live fairly close to there, on E 6th street, in the late '70s. I always wondered what it was like inside.

Cheers,
Tom

Before the war many of the admirals lived in the Villa Riviera back when the Navy was based in Long Beach. During the war the Navy used the tower as an observation post.

Last edited:

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
One of my favs is the Villa Esche in Chemnitz. I once saw it nearly ruined in the early 1990s and after the restoration it became a very nice museum and place for events. As a big fan of art nouveau and van de Velde this villa is a treasure trove in itself.

rest152.jpg

http://www.villaesche.de/

Besides that the whole Kaßberg in Chemnitz is remarkable for anyone who loves art nouveau and "Gründerzeit". There are complete streets with buildings of the early 20th and late 19th century.
pic_inv_leben_wohnen_haus_k150.jpg
kassberg1.jpg

Another favorite place of me is the August Horch Museum in Zwickau (it's near Chemnitz) in an old industrial building of the same era. That's a place for all the people who love old cars, esp. Audi, Horch and their history.

dauerausstellung11g.jpg
dauerausstellung3g.jpg

http://www.horch-museum.de

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've never been here, but I think THE BUND on the riverfront of Shanghai is just beautiful...

U2150P461T5D16857F154DT20070712193624.jpg

For those who are unfamiliar with it, The Bund is the collection of colonial-era buildings that run along the bank of the Huangpu River that cuts through central Shanghai in China. It's long been a famous landmark of the city.

The Bund back in the Golden Era, photographed here in 1930:

OLD-SHANGHAI2.jpg

Despite the military and political turmoil that has rocked China for the past 150 years, the roughly fifty Victorian-era buildings that make up the Bund have survived everything to live on into the 21st Century.

Last edited:
Shangas said:
I've never been here, but I think THE BUND on the riverfront of Shanghai is just beautiful...

Whitey Smith's (Shanghai) Majestic Hotel Dance Orchestra -- Nighttime In Old Shanghai (1930)

[video=youtube;6g8yjzPD5cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8yjzPD5cs[/video]

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Sorry, I haven't posted in a while. I never have enough time to make my rounds on the Lounge.

For a place that I would like to visit, but is not around anymore (sort of) is the Brown Derby. I want to eat in a hat!

brown-derby.jpg

The dome actually is still around. It sits on top of a shopping mall.

brown_derby.jpg

Speaking of quirky architecture (and Wilshire Blvd) this have always been a favorite of mine:

darkroom.jpg

darkroom_historic.jpg

Again, thanks to everybody that posted. You all give me places to dream about. :)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
One of my favs is the Villa Esche in Chemnitz. I once saw it nearly ruined in the early 1990s and after the restoration it became a very nice museum and place for events. As a big fan of art nouveau and van de Velde this villa is a treasure trove in itself.

rest152.jpg

http://www.villaesche.de/

Besides that the whole Kaßberg in Chemnitz is remarkable for anyone who loves art nouveau and "Gründerzeit". There are complete streets with buildings of the early 20th and late 19th century.
pic_inv_leben_wohnen_haus_k150.jpg
kassberg1.jpg

Another favorite place of me is the August Horch Museum in Zwickau (it's near Chemnitz) in an old industrial building of the same era. That's a place for all the people who love old cars, esp. Audi, Horch and their history.

dauerausstellung11g.jpg
dauerausstellung3g.jpg

http://www.horch-museum.de

This is like your version of the Nethercutt Museum! Thanks for posting this! I love the pictures!

http://nethercuttcollection.org/

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
William R Hearst owned many houses/castles, as we all know, my favorite one is Wyntoon Villa Estate it was built on 50,000 acres of forested land near Mount Shasta in Northern California, it was designed circa 1930 by famed architect Julia Morgan, who also designed Hearst Castle "San Simeon".

Three sets of buildings were sited along the McCloud River. The first was a "Bavarian village," with three half-timber, three-story guesthouses arranged around the midst of the forest. The back of the guesthouses overlook the river. Half a mile downstream, the swimming pool, tennis courts, croquet court, and a building for dining and movies were located...

The architecture is a matter of taste( i am not complaining, no sir) The setting takes my breath away .... I have no words! The beauty of it all almost makes my heart ache. ``` big sigh```

4908988393_1119c09323_b.jpg

mccloud7.jpg

4873535826_18c086c715_b.jpg

1440545432_9ff1906c57_z.jpg

William walking between the Faery House and the Cinderella House on the Wyntoon property being followed by lil Ghandi.
GandhiSM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points