Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Historic Buildings or Places

Another Julia Morgan commission is the Herald Examiner Building (1915) in Downtown L.A. I'm surprised they haven't done anything with the building since the Herald Examiner folded in 1989 (I have a copy of the last issue). It could very easily be used for a combination of offices, shopping and dining.

1915heraldexaminerg.jpg

1915heraldexaminerf.jpg

In its heyday
Examiner1939USCRegHist.jpg

Postcard-ca-los-angeles-examiner-building.png

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I used to live in Newport, RI, literally behind the Vanderbilt’s carriage house. I used to jog past all the old mansions a few times a week. I toured all of the ones that were open to the public and I can say that I would not mind living in any of them. Most of them were now museums but some were still privately owned. It was eerie to jog past them at night, but at the same time I could always imagine the huge parties they must have had in their heyday.

rue

Oh yes, she was! :)

For me, Wyntoon is the stuff dreams are made of! What an amazing Paradise!

Silly fact about me.... I admired her so much that I wanted to be an architect because of her and even went to school for almost a year, but things changed and I ended up following my other dream of having kids. She's still a hero of mine though :)

rue

Another Julia Morgan commission is the Herald Examiner Building (1915) in Downtown L.A. I'm surprised they haven't done anything with the building since the Herald Examiner folded in 1989 (I have a copy of the last issue). It could very easily be used for a combination of offices, shopping and dining.

1915heraldexaminerg.jpg

I love that building.... used to pass it and drool when I lived out there :)

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
This is like your version of the Nethercutt Museum! Thanks for posting this! I love the pictures!

http://nethercuttcollection.org/

A fascinating museum I'd really like to see. A shame that I am living too far away from it.

@Hadley The villa of Hearst is amazing, especially with the river nearby. I like those kind of houses even while they originally are not from the "Golden Era" (at least in Europe they are at many places 200-400 years old).

Favorite historic places and your pictures also reminded me about those very nice Fachwerk-cities (timbered houses?) in many parts of Germany, like those small towns in the Harz mountains:

Wernigerode:
marktstr.jpg
marktplatz.jpg

http://www.harz-online.de/ridh/wernigerode/wernigerode.php

Stolberg:
stolberg_10304.jpg
saigerturm_10339.jpg

Quedlinburg:
harz2.jpg
Quedlinburg-house-1521.jpg
8Quedlinburg-by_Templermeister_pixelio.de.jpg

Most of them are also remarkable and extremly romantic around christmas when there are our christmas markets (Weihnachtsmarkt). Quedlingburg for example is especially famous for markets in the small backyards of many of the old buildings. Illuminated by snow and with all the flavours and smells of the markets that is really something I enjoy every year.

A snowless year but nonetheless one can get the idea how it may look in some months there ;):
Weihnachtsmarkt-Quedlinburg-a19539419.jpg

Those towns have something of a model railway I once had as child to play with.

Last edited:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family

1915heraldexaminerg.jpg

1915heraldexaminerf.jpg

In its heyday
Examiner1939USCRegHist.jpg

Postcard-ca-los-angeles-examiner-building.png

I went searching for photos of the interior of this building. It took a while, but I think I finally found them!

http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=84084

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
DecoDoll, I have a feeling you'd probably like the Brewster Apartments in Chicago.

BrewsterExterior2.jpg

015-brewster3a.gif

[video=vimeo;2297292]http://vimeo.com/2297292[/video]

Connery

One Too Many
Flatiron Building It was completed in 1902 and was one of the first buildings in the world to use a steel skeleton.

flatiron2.jpg

new-york-flatiron-building-20923-700.jpg

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
NY is also on my list of places I really want to see some day and not only because of the art deco skyscapers.

Besides do you know whole cities or such with a bigger part built in art deco? I heard that Reims in France was rebuild in the 1930s with much art deco and many buildings are still there. Maybe it's worth a visit on some holiday trip to France.

Deco-Doll asked me to post this for her:

I apologize for not being able to post right now. I am currently having some issues with posting on the FL. The only way I am able to view people's responses is viewing them logged off. Hope to be back soon.

Unlucky Berman-

"The only place I can think of off the top of my head is Napier New Zealand.

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/internationalbasic/654391/napier-151-new-zealands-art-deco-city

http://www.artdeconapier.com/default.aspx

There's supposed to be a large concentration of Art Deco buildings in Miami Beach Florida. Los Angeles has Art Deco too. :eek:)

Chas

One Too Many
My list:

The Flatiron Bldg, NYC.
The Marine Bldg, Vancouver BC
The Chrysler Bldg.
The Hollywood Palladium. Best dance floor I've ever hoofed it on. Too bad they don't hold CH there anymore, and the shows are all RnR/hip hop shows now.
The Oviott Building, home of the Cicada Club. I hope you LA peeps know how good you've got it with that venue.
The Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver, BC. Stunning looks and even better acoustics.
orpheum1.jpg

The Patricia Theatre, Powell River B.C. - where I grew up; where I fell in love with the movies. Still running (since 1928); the oldest running theatre in Canada.
2123304177_681f3fe108.jpg

Last edited:
The Webster House Apartments, Chicago
formerly the Webster House Hotel

Built in 1920, this building figures prominently in jazz history as the ballroom was often used by the Victor Talking Machine Company for field recording sessions. Such greats as Jelly Roll Morton made some of their recordings here.

WebsterHotelChicagoPcardCirca1945.jpg

Recorded at the Webster Hotel in 1926
[video=youtube;IIUymHyU0tE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIUymHyU0tE[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto