Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Hitchcock Presents Episodes?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I just watched "Never Again."

"Awakening in a strange bed and suffering from a terrible headache -- not to mention the mysterious bruises all over her body -- alcoholic Karen Stewart (Phyllis Thaxter) tries to piece together the events leading up to her present condition. All she can recall at first is her most recent promise to her boyfriend Jeff (Warren Stevens) that she will stop drinking, and stop drinking for good. But Jeff had heard that song many times before, and he was in no mood to put up with her subsequent drunken binge. From this point forward, Karen's mind is a blank...but the blank will soon be filled in a horrific fashion. In light of the serious nature of the story, host Alfred Hitchcock foregoes his usual humorous epilogue." ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=2075585

It's definitely the most powerful episode I have seen. I've been watching AHP since I got them on DVD for the holidays. Do you have a favorite episode? I'm just so crazy about these!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh gee, I haven't seen any of these in ages. When I was a teen, our local PBS station ran them at 11pm off some really messy old 16mm prints, so they were all full of splices and tramlines and dirt -- I bet they're just amazing in nice clean copies.

The one that sticks in my memory -- Peter Lorre as a sinister gambler who bets Steve McQueen he can't light his cigarette lighter ten times in a row without missing. If he wins, he gets Lorre's new car. If he loses -- Lorre will chop off one of his fingers.

A really demented premise -- but it made for an absolutely riveting story.

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
The one that sticks in my memory -- Peter Lorre as a sinister gambler who bets Steve McQueen he can't light his cigarette lighter ten times in a row without missing. If he wins, he gets Lorre's new car. If he loses -- Lorre will chop off one of his fingers.

A really demented premise -- but it made for an absolutely riveting story.
Quentin Tarantino totally ripped that story off in the movie Four Rooms. I believe it was the episode called, The Man From Hollywood.

Shearer

Practically Family
My satellite co. started carrying the Chiller channel and they've been showing Alfred Hitchcock regularly, starting with the first season.

The one Lizzie mentioned is a great one, I think it ran a few seasons in... I didn't catch the pilot episode when it started on Chiller, but I have the first season on DVD.

from IMDb:
Season 1, Episode 1: Revenge
Original Air Date: 2 October 1955
Carl and Elsa Spann have moved into a trailer park in California, after Elsa suffered a nervous breakdown. She is adjusting well to a more peaceful lifestyle, after her rigorous training as a ballerina. But then Carl comes home from work to find Elsa shocked and traumatized after a man assaulted her in the trailer. The police investigate, but find little to go on. Carl becomes increasingly angry about what has happened, and he is determined to kill the man responsible, if he can find him.

Shearer

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Quentin Tarantino totally ripped that story off in the movie Four Rooms. I believe it was the episode called, The Man From Hollywood.

Doesn't it sorta get ripped off in that Stephen King movie Cat's Eye, too? I can't remember. I really need to stop watching bad movies. :eek:

Feraud

Bartender
Shearer said:
Doesn't it sorta get ripped off in that Stephen King movie Cat's Eye, too? I can't remember. I really need to stop watching bad movies. :eek:
I am not sure about Cat's Eye.
Watching bad movies are the only way to appreciate good ones. :D

Still working my way through Season One. Used to watch the show every night when I was a kid . 11 o'clock on Channel 5. Lamb to the Slaughter stands out, of course. Roald Dahl's story of a woman (Barbara Bel Geddes?) who kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb. The other one I remember from Dahl was with the two men in Malaysia. One of them wakes up thinking a deadly snake has crawled on to his stomach.

Wasn't there one about a guy who gets hit with a board and loses his memory? All he has is the name of psychiatrist in his pocket and when the psychiatrist helps him remember his identity, it turns out the guy had come to kill him.

Love what Hitchcock says at the end of 'Revenge'. 'Oh well, they were a pathetic couple anyway.' lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Still working my way through Season One. Used to watch the show every night when I was a kid . 11 o'clock on Channel 5. Lamb to the Slaughter stands out, of course. Roald Dahl's story of a woman (Barbara Bel Geddes?) who kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb. The other one I remember from Dahl was with the two men in Malaysia. One of them wakes up thinking a deadly snake has crawled on to his stomach.

Wasn't there one about a guy who gets hit with a board and loses his memory? All he has is the name of psychiatrist in his pocket and when the psychiatrist helps him remember his identity, it turns out the guy had come to kill him.

Love what Hitchcock says at the end of 'Revenge'. 'Oh well, they were a pathetic couple anyway.' lol

I believe it was on TBS in the 80's, too. I recall watching them during the day, unlike Twilight Zone on channel 11 at 1:00 a.m. Back then I didn't appreciate his commentary as much as I do today. He kills me!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
two favorites from the last two days:

"And now, a word from the shug-ah daddy of tele-e-VISION, ow-ah spon-sah."

"I am standing in front of a wanted poster with my pictures that my wife made as a joke. She doesn't really want me."

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Our local UHF station runs half hour and hour long Hitchcock episodes nightly. They are quite entertaining all with that ironic Hitchcockian twist in the end.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana