Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Vintage Perfumes

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
wow, This thread has inspired me. I don't wear any vintage scents but now I think I better try some. I wear Oscar de la Renta's Volupte which I think was released in the 90s, I think it smells like Mr. Bubbles that is probably why I like it. I also wear a perfume oil called Rain from a little shop in St. Paul, MN called The Garden of Eden, this one really does smell like spring rain. Both of these scents are very light and not too over powering which is important to me.
Any suggestions for a light and fresh scented vintage perfume?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissMissy said:
wow, This thread has inspired me. I don't wear any vintage scents but now I think I better try some. I wear Oscar de la Renta's Volupte which I think was released in the 90s, I think it smells like Mr. Bubbles that is probably why I like it. I also wear a perfume oil called Rain from a little shop in St. Paul, MN called The Garden of Eden, this one really does smell like spring rain. Both of these scents are very light and not too over powering which is important to me.
Any suggestions for a light and fresh scented vintage perfume?

Hi MissMissy,

You could see if you could find Apres L'ondee by Guerlain, it literally means "after the shower" bit like your Rain. It has middle notes of Violet and Hawthorn, but packs a good dry-down with musky base notes. You may find it too, too much but it's always good to try something and see.
The vintage bottles of this are just beautiful, (formulated in 1906).

You may also like Diorissimo, which is very fresh, I think it is a 50's scent.

There were a lot of true florals about in the 30's and 40's too, things like Apple Blossom,Violet,and Bluebell. Penhaligons of London do gorgeous pure flower scents in very lovely bottles, whilst they are not true vintage they are all excellent. I have the Violet http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/ishop/1/shopscr110.html

A lot of the older perfumes generally seem stronger when you use them as they are based on very good ingredients; absolutes etc. Don't let this put you off though as once the top notes have evaporated many of the initially powerful scents have an incredible, haunting linger.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Thanks AllAboutEve, I think my husband will like these too, he likes my perfume but says they are so faint he can't hardly smell them.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I can't believe I didn't mention Apress L'ondee, it's lovely.

Another classic Guerlain that you might try is Jicky. It started a perfume revolution. It is a fougere, from 1889 it opens with a fresh, cool lavender (and citrus) note, and warms up as it dries.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
So many good perfumes, I should start wearing them more often.

Without even knowing it my two first perfumes were more vintage ones and they still smell quite nice:

- Diorissimo
- Fracas

Ah, but what about White Shoulders--I remember hearing that it was first introduced during the 1950s. Anyone know? Just for sheer trivia?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Here's the 40s bottle of Joy, and the Arpege one. The Arpege could be anywhere 30s-50s for all I know, but I don't think it's later than that.

joy.jpg

arpege.jpg

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I LOVE your bottles Caledonia, they must look so good on your dressing table. :)
Did you wind up opening anything in the end or did you decide against it?

Caledonia

Practically Family
The Arpege came "slightly" opened. So I have to confess to having a sniff at that. It smells only, how to describe it, slightly older than the modern Arpege. The Joy I'm keeping till I've used my other scents then I'm going to open a bottle of champagne, dress in my best vintage, and herald its awakening!

Orchids Please

New in Town
"...I followed her by the trail of her scent...chypre & sandlewood..."

Okay ladies. Here is the absolute best place to find older fragrances anywhere on the net and I know because...well...perfume is my addiction.

It is scentiments.com. I've found Shocking which is and was for the time it arrived, Jolie Madame,( gardenias, gardenias, gardenias, which it smells like,)
Youth Dew, Vol de Nuit, etc. They have both the Coty fragrances, L'Aimant &
L'Origan which is what Coty Face Powder smells like.

#5 also smells like baby powder on me, Shalimar the same.

Does anyone know about the perfumes that would made to go with furs? Detachma is by Revillion is the only one that remains around and is rarer than hen's teeth.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
perfume

I really love Chanel #5 Elixir Sensual which comes in an elegant bottle it's diferent because it is a gel like fluid you can pour on it is very lovely. I also really like poison by Christian Dior but i don't know if that is vey old fashion but it does smell like it could have been around a while. I also love to where Youth Dew by Estee Lauder but it is a bit strong going on but after a few hours it really mixes with you chemistry really nice teh body cream is wonderful it comes in a huge jar with elegant gold lid and i love how it displays in my bathoom it is by far the best moisturizer and will leave you as soft as can be like satin.But i gota be honest here my signature pefume is Happy by Clinique which isn't very vintage at all:eek: !

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Irrisistable perfume

I wanted to ask any of the lady's about this vintage perfume i recently bought on ebay! It is called Irrisistable i think it might have came out in the 1930's or 1940's. It had a drop left over still in the bottle but it smelled so so lovely that i wish they still made it!It has a very feminine scent do you know where i might find it or if there is something i can buy that's close to this scent? If any lady's know where i can find it or have smelled this perfume before let me know!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Dollfaced,

I do not know anything about the Irrisistable perfume that you have found but I have an idea for you...I have a book by a perfume maker by the name of Mandy Aftel - she is becoming quite popular and famous. The title of the book is Essence and Alchemy - A Book of Perfume, it is a book about perfume making and is quite facinating. (she goes way back in the history of perfuming back to the midieval days then down through the ages to current times) If you are not able to track this perfume down Mandy can custom make a perfume for you and she is quite knowledgeble in all the different perfumes and the different notes so she would probably be able to duplicate it, her website is:
www.aftelier.com, I have always wanted my own custom made perfume!

The perfume I wear currently is Shalimar (it does not end up to powdery on me fortunatly) I believe it was made in the 1920's.

I know earlier in this thread-recieving gifts of perfume was mentioned. I had a sweetheart in the late 80's and he would always give me perfume for Christmas and my birthday. I never would drop hints as to what I liked or wanted so it was always a total surprise as to what he would come up with. It was always expensive perfumes from Nordstrom and all of them smelled good on me. He would have his sister help him shop-she has excellent taste in everything.

Brooksie

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Thank you Brooksie for your interesting post i will definatly check out that site! That sweetheart you had in the 80's really want to go all out for you how sweet :) . He must have really wanted to be perfect when picking out something out for you by taking along his sister maybe his sister had good taste since you liked everything he got you. I thought about taking the perfume bottle with me to the mall and trying to find something close to it but since it is vintage possibly from the 1940's i thought my chances were going to be slim in finding a perfect match.I bought this tin sign that has a really pretty girl on it with all these products in the picture like a perfume bottle.rouge,lipstick,face powder,face cream all called Irresistable and the sign says be Irresistable tonight it is so cute i hung it in my restroom one day on ebay i saw the perfume for bid so i won it then i won a brand knew rouge still in the package thought this was really cool to put in the bathroom.

Southern Belle

New in Town
CherryRed said:
Reading and re-reading the favorite vintage makeup thread got me thinking of vintage perfumes. I know some old sents are still available today but I am just unsure when they are from. I know Emeraude is an older one. Anyone know when it was first out? I also recently saw L'Air Du Temps by Nina Ricci at TJ Maxx. I remember my grandmother having the empty bottle from that on her dresser, so I know it would be at least from the 1960's, maybe older.
I would love to hear what your favorits are and also a description of the sent. :)
Emeraude can be found at this e-mail address <beautyboutique.com>
it is $11.99 for 1.8 cologne spray. Emeraude is a very nice scent and my 83 year old Daddy loves it on my Mother who is 81.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci is still avaiable in fine department stores all around the south, it has a light clean,green,floral scent. Try belk's.com.

Southern Belle

New in Town
Southern Belle

CherryRed said:
Reading and re-reading the favorite vintage makeup thread got me thinking of vintage perfumes. I know some old sents are still available today but I am just unsure when they are from. I know Emeraude is an older one. Anyone know when it was first out? I also recently saw L'Air Du Temps by Nina Ricci at TJ Maxx. I remember my grandmother having the empty bottle from that on her dresser, so I know it would be at least from the 1960's, maybe older.
I would love to hear what your favorits are and also a description of the sent. :)

Emeraude available at some Walgreen's Drugstores, CVS Drugstores, and at:
www.beautyboutique.com
It is $11.99 for 1.8oz cologne spray.

L'Air Du Temps by Nina Ricci can be purchased at fine department stores all around the south, try belks.com, this is a clean,floral,green scent very nice.

Southern Belle

New in Town
jitterbugdoll said:
Another wonderful Depression-era fragrance is Joy (1935). It was described as the most expensive perfume in the world

Apres L'Ondee was released in 1905.

Some of the Coty perfumes are still available as well. I found a bottle of L'Origan (the same scent used in Coty Airspun powder) on Ebay.

Also, Tabu (1932) is still around--though my very proper southern friend once said that her mother threw her bottle out, because "that is not a perfume for ladies." ;)

Here's another good article:
http://www.beautybuzz.com/scent.asp?page=history

Coty perfumes Emeraude 1.8oz cologne spray is $11.99 at www.beautyboutique.com
as are L'Origan Cologne spray 1.8 oz. for $12.99, and Muguet des Bois Cologne spray 1.8 oz. for $12.99 and L'Aimant cologne spray 1.8 oz for $10.99.
And these are new in the box, unlike e-bay and etc...

You can order on line at www.beautyboutique.com or by calling 1-800-497-7463, 24/7.

Blondie

Practically Family
Has anyone used "My Sin" ?
I read an article from a Womens Mag in the 40's, the author was talking about this perfume, so i googled it and it's still being made........
My Sin Perfume was created by the Parisian house of Jeanne Lanvin in 1925 and has top notes of bergamot, heliotrope, neroli, aldehydic accord and carnation. Middle notes of ylang-ylang, lily of the valley, violet, iris, rose and jasmin. Dry down notes of musk, vetiver and sandalwood. My Sin Perfume is a classic, sensuous beauty.
Wonder if it smelles good, it's too expensive to take a punt, even though i just love the name !lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112