Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Vintage Perfumes

Kishtu

Practically Family
My dad used to buy "Joy" for my mum - has done for at least 30 years now.

Which is one of the most romantic things I ever heard, because her name is Joy...

Sadly I never took to it - too rose-scented for me.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Vintage Perfumes

I don't have a vintage perfume yet and I'm trying to find one. Chanel is the only brand I know from the early-mid 1900's and it is too musty for me, too heavy. I like floral scents.

I know Vermont Country Store has a bunch of purfumes...I'm just always so nervous to try them without smelling them first.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi Emer

Chanel have reworked No 5 and it is now on the shelves as No 5 Eau Premiere. It's lighter than the original but still definitely No 5. You might want to try it. It doesn't suit me any better than No 5, but it just might be you.

Shalimar is classic and still one of the most popular scents ever (not mine I'm afraid). Fracas is still also popular. Patou's Joy is still available but I find it too heavy. Do a google for vintage perfumes. You'll find research sites quite easily. This is a good one.

http://www.fashion-era.com/perfume_history.htm#Famous Early Perfumes

Just thought. Evening in Paris (Soir de Paris) is a classic 50s scent. Still powdery, but very floral.

nico demouse

Familiar Face
I love Givenchy L'interdit, which was created for Audrey Hepburn in 1957. Apparently it was reformulated and rereleased a few years ago. Somehow my husband tracked down a bottle of the original for a Christmas present when we were courting. It is really lovely. I wore it at my wedding. If you can find a bottle of the old stuff it is wonderful.

TheRedHead

New in Town
I was searching for a vintage signature perfume and yesterday found Guerlain's Mitsouko. I bought it on impulse and am so glad I did, since I got it home, I absolutely love it, its so rich and mysterious. Its strange that when I looked it up on the internet, it was created in 1919 and I love the 20's so maybe this is why Im drawn to it

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
I am on an "auntie mame" kick - the books, etc. and Nuit de Noel is mentioned. There's an oldie from Caron. Very potent.

Re Guerlain Mitsouko.. does that have a "peach" vibe to it, or am I confusing it with something else?

TheRedHead

New in Town
Yes, Mitsouko does have a peach note, personally I find the whole thing so well blended that the individual notes don't stand out from each other very strongly but as it dies down you get the peachy warmth from it.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Lucky you, Guerlain's products are GORGEOUS. Do you know Jicky? It's the Guerlain unisex one. I believe Bardot was a fan. A little too mannish for me.. but unique, just the same.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'm glad this thread is back!

While I have been enjoying Chanel No. 5 for a couple of years now, I'm in the mood for a change. Normally I'm not much for floral scents, and I would like something lighter than No. 5, but still musky and spicy. Any suggestions? I should probably check out Guerlain, it sounds like they have a lot of nice perfumes and they should be available here in Copenhagen.

Any of you ladies have any Caron fragrances? I have not tried them yet, but they sound mesmerizing. Unfortunately I won't be going to Paris any time soon, but I will be going to London in January and I'll be sure to go to Harrod's to check out Caron's Tabac Blond:

The perfume: Mild and powerful, coppery overtones combined with a floral heart note. True to type. Oriental leather.
The personality: Troubling sensuality of a woman in a dinner jacket… A touch of masculine nonchalance.

Also, while I'm there, I'll have a look at Creed Fragrances. Oh it will be marvelous!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'mSuzyParker said:
I own Tabac Blond. Very potent stuff. Lots of leather to it. But the bottle is gorgeous. I want to try Nuit de Noel now.

Ooh, potent sounds good to me, although I might just need something a little less potent, now that I'm starting to find No. 5 a bit to heavy? Where do you buy Caron parfumes?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'mSuzyParker said:
There's a Caron shop in nyc. They also sell face powder in beautiful compacts.

Also, Tabac Blond is much heavier than No. 5

I would love to try it. And I don't really know if No. 5 really is so heavy or if it's just that I've gotten so used to the smell and just need a change in order to be able to appreciate it fully again.

No. 5 will always remind me of this night at the opera when I sat next to a women who smelled so wonderful that I just kept leaning closer and closer to her, it was intoxicating and I had no idea what it was. Afterwards I asked her and she told me it was No. 5.

I've worn No. 5 ever since, every day, so I guess I've worn it out. :) Is that common with a scent? Is it better to switch between a couple so you don't get so used to it? I've always just used one perfume at a time.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Laura,

not sure if you know about this one. Chanel makes it's own "leathery" perfume. Cuir de Russie. It too conjures up a dark, mysterious feeling.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'mSuzyParker said:
Laura,

not sure if you know about this one. Chanel makes it's own "leathery" perfume. Cuir de Russie. It too conjures up a dark, mysterious feeling.

No, I didn't know about it but it sounds like I should check it out, the notes sound somewhat similar to Tabac Blond, but more citrusy, right? Thank you for the tip!

Chanel's Cuir de Russie 1927
Top: Orange blossom, bergamot, mandarin, clary sage
Heart: Iris, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, cedarwood, vetiver
Base: Balsamics, leather, amber, vanilla

Caron's Tabac Blond 1919
Top: Leather, carnation, linden
Heart: Iris vetiver, ylang ylang, lime-tree leaf
Base: Cedar, patchouli, vanilla, amber, musk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member