Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feathers in your hatbands?

MJL

One of the Regulars
I hate the feathers and ALWAYS remove them. They were, in my opinion, a gesture towards style in the past but they just look pimpish today. The only positive thing I can say about them that is that my cat loves my hat feathers tied to a string and dragged around the house!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Whether or not I remove it, depends on the feather. My Jaxon Bogart came with a long, flowing feather taller than the crown of the hat itself. :eek: Very pimpish. That one came out the second after I opened the box. On the other hand, I have a black wool beater fedora that came with a red-white-and-grey feather. Nice and small, but adds just a little splash of color to it. Very tasteful, and I kept it in.

Case-by-case, I guess.

-Tofu

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
all my feathers leave me in the end. Even the ones I like. They just blow away in the wind. Or if my wife tells me to get rid of them.
If I am out for a walk and see a nice feather (usually a Magpie) I will stick it in my hat. But its just a vicious cycle (damn wind).
Johnny

griffer

Practically Family
Hmm.

I love feathers in my cap.

Not all, but some. In fact, I have a small bundle of feathers speckled orangem with rusts and brown, that i actually move from hat to hat i like it so much. See avatar.

but nothing like this...
B000G6S8F2.01-A25KCI3KJ0JKBZ._SCMZZZZZZZ_V41693375_.jpg

MJL

One of the Regulars
griffer said:
Hmm.

Not all, but some. In fact, I have a small bundle of feathers speckled orangem with rusts and brown, that i actually move from hat to hat i like it so much. See avatar.

but nothing like this...

Nice...ah...feather. I barely noticed the feather the first time I saw this photo.:rolleyes:

griffer said:
Hmm.

but nothing like this...
MST2K did their magic on a 50-60's educational music film with a Mr. B-Natural that looked alot like this lovely lass. Along the lines of having a woman play Peter Pan. Hilarious.

For me so far, the feathers come out. I just haven't come across a hat that i have said, now that feather has to stay.

D

DBFedora

Feather? Yes

I like the feather myself, as long as it isn't too big for the hat and doesn't stand out and draw attention to itself. My hat feathers are no longer than three inches and accentuate the color of the hat well. For me, the feather completes the look I want.

When I purchased my latest fedora last February, the lady who fitted it for me gave me a few extra feathers in case I lost mine due to wind (or children). I appreciated the gesture. So far I have not had to get into my reserves.:)

G MAN

One of the Regulars
rockyj said:
Sometimes they look O.K on the hat. But they never look O.K on the hat that's on my headlol

I feel the same way. I like the look of a feather on a hat but for some reason I expect it to be on a much older head than mine.

Lonn

Familiar Face
they make more

Hi,
The guy with me in my avatar makes a lot of feathers and my three other kids do too. If he gives me a pair of his longest tail feathers, I wear one of them as often as I can for as long as it holds up.
A few weeks ago at a hot tub party a woman asked me if that was a Macaw feather as I walked by. I ended up chatting with her the rest of the evening. Made a new friend.
So, I guess it depends on the feather. I like the ones my kids give me and they will make more.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've yet to see a feather or feathers in a fedora that didn't look campy or cheap. I imagine that a small fan shape above the bow that's matched to the ribbon or body of the hat might look tasteful...but the bow is decoration enough, really...a feather just seems like overkill.

Lonn, you seem to have a good take on them. I'm sure I'd find a way to work them into my wardrobe if I had feathered friends.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I like it, Dinerman. Tasteful, adds a bit of flair without screaming, "HEY! I'M A FEATHER! LOOK AT ME! YEAH, YOU!" The color coordination helps, too, methinks. Looks like it's part of the hat (or at least belongs with it) rather than something that was just slapped on there.

-Tofu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points