Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation IV

MattJH

One Too Many
I was the owner of a Federation III Standard in Carbon Grey from Hats Direct, but ended up selling it to our very own Carter because I thought it was far too big on me.

Then, over a year later, I ordered the very last Federation III Deluxe in Dark Brown from Hats Direct since I had more experience with hats and thought the increase in fur felt quality may sway me back to those giant dimensions, but ended up trading it to our very own Carter because I thought it was too big on me. Haha.

What did I trade it for? A Federation IV Standard in Carbon Grey with a bit of extra cash to make the trade even. I received it today. Know what I did when I got home? Ordered a Federation IV in Dark Brown.

So that's what I think of the Federation IV. My favorite currently produced fedora by far. I like it significantly more than my Akubra Stylemaster and Akubra Sydney. The dimensions are the largest that would work on me, but they work on me.

tm3

Familiar Face
can anyone tell me if the fed IV brown is the same color as the fed IV dlx brown?

i read that in the III there was a difference, but that akubra tried to "correct" it in the IV.

is there still a difference?

thanks

jpbales

Practically Family
Woodfluter said:
...Shrinkage:
I've shrunk down the base of the crown of an Imperial quality Akubra Riverina so it would be a half size smaller. It shrank down very easily. I've done the same operation on the Fed III and Banjo Paterson, both Herigage grade, and it took many repeated applications of very hot steam followed by a hair dryer (not to mention the spray wetting and blow-drying attempts) to get it down to something a bit less than a half-size smaller. So I am quite certain that the Heritage grade is far more resistant to shrinkage. I'm not sure even Akubra knows how much difference, because I'm probably one of very few crazy enough to do this deliberately...

haha i'm one of these crazy people who does that (I did it to my Fed IV, I'm between sizes 59 and 60)lol

Neil

A-List Customer
OK, final thoughts. . .

Got my Fed IV Deluxe back from Vince Corvelli here in Bethesda, Md.
He did a great job blocking and sizing it. It feels great, and that tall, stovepipe crown, while distinctive, takes getting used to. Makes me look about ten feet tall.
Anyway, a good hat, especially for the money.
But.
Don't let anybody tell you (and many will) that rabbit felt is somehow the equal of beaver felt, or that it doesn't really matter. Nonsense. The Federation is coarser, and stiffer, than the Stetson Pinnacles I bought from Carter, and the Optimo I picked up in Chicago. Cardboard compared to creamy vellum.
Akubras might be a great deal nowadays, but you ultimately get what yez paid for.
Not that I won't be wearing it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neil said:
He did a great job blocking and sizing it. It feels great, and that tall, stovepipe crown, while distinctive, takes getting used to. Makes me look about ten feet tall.
But.
Don't let anybody tell you (and many will) that rabbit felt is somehow the equal of beaver felt, or that it doesn't really matter. Nonsense. The Federation is coarser, and stiffer, than the Stetson Pinnacles I bought from Carter, and the Optimo I picked up in Chicago. Cardboard compared to creamy vellum.
Akubras might be a great deal nowadays, but you ultimately get what yez paid for.

worthlesswithoutpics

We need pictures, Neil!

Having recently received a VS custom for Art, I completely agree with you about the difference between beaver and rabbit. When I first talked to Art he told me that beaver is far and away the choice hat material. Now I know he's spot on. Art's hat is very soft and luxurious. I have another beaver coming from Major Moore as well as a beaver rabbit blend. I'm certain his will be top notch too.

By the way, have you left that Optimo in the box for Christmas so far?

Neil

A-List Customer
Hey, BobC

Yes, it remains boxed, despite my deep desire to release it.
And yes, I'll put up a pic of the Fed IV, although it will look exactly like every other Fed IV. (I'm not too keen on modelling).

BobC

No need to be shy, Neil. You're among friends here, but I understand your reluctance. I felt the same way for quite a while.

Neil

A-List Customer
Also. . .

Am waiting for my own VS. The weeks are slipping by quickly. Art sent me a bunch of felt swatches, some thick, some thin. I am thinking something in dark moss, and one of his snappy ribbons with a stripe of color in the bow. What did you order? Heavier or lighter felt? Does it make a huge difference?

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Neil said:
But.

Akubras must vary in stiffness. My Campdraft is very soft felt and has a vintage feel to it.

BobC

Neil said:
Am waiting for my own VS. The weeks are slipping by quickly. Art sent me a bunch of felt swatches, some thick, some thin. I am thinking something in dark moss, and one of his snappy ribbons with a stripe of color in the bow. What did you order? Heavier or lighter felt? Does it make a huge difference?

I ordered a granite colored Sportaire from Art. I chose the granite because it is probably his most neutral color, and I wanted a first custom hat that would go with almost anything I choose to wear it with. Most people seem to see the granite as a gray color, but I can see some brown tones in it as well. The hat looks good with say khaki pants and a blue shirt as well as grays, blacks and greens.

The dark moss is a very nice color too and is on my wish list as well as midnight blue.

I think that Art calls his lighter weight hats Artlites. He surely can give you more accurate info than me, but I think they come unlined which helps make them lighter and cooler...a more year round hat.

I found that the weeks slipped by quickly too until Art e-mailed me that his hat was on its way. Then the days started to crawl. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the rabbit is stiff and somewhat coarse. But it's far from scratchy, it presents a handsome appearance, and most importantly, it's tough. It'll take rain, snow, probably everything short of acid and fire. You needn't baby it.

This plus the elegant style (and low price!) of the Fed make it the ideal duty lid.

MattJH

One Too Many
Neil said:
The Federation is coarser, and stiffer, than the Stetson Pinnacles I bought from Carter, and the Optimo I picked up in Chicago. Cardboard compared to creamy vellum.

I like this quality in the Federation IV because it makes it feel and seem far more sturdy and durable. There's no way I would wear my Stetson Whippet or Herbert Johnson of Whippet-proportions or Dobbs 20 out in the rain or while I'm doing anything strenuous outdoors, because I'd be afraid of damaging them, not just because they can't be replaced (especially in my 7 5/8 size), but because they're so supple. I wouldn't hesitate to wear my Federation IV in any situation, though. Rainstorm, hailstorm, snowstorm, camping, yard work... anything. That's what the Federation IV is for -- all-conditions gear.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dumbjaw said:
I was the owner of a Federation III Standard in Carbon Grey from Hats Direct, but ended up selling it to our very own Carter because I thought it was far too big on me.

Then, over a year later, I ordered the very last Federation III Deluxe in Dark Brown from Hats Direct since I had more experience with hats and thought the increase in fur felt quality may sway me back to those giant dimensions, but ended up trading it to our very own Carter because I thought it was too big on me. Haha.

What did I trade it for? A Federation IV Standard in Carbon Grey with a bit of extra cash to make the trade even. I received it today. Know what I did when I got home? Ordered a Federation IV in Dark Brown.

So that's what I think of the Federation IV. My favorite currently produced fedora by far. I like it significantly more than my Akubra Stylemaster and Akubra Sydney. The dimensions are the largest that would work on me, but they work on me.
Here's a bit more information to round out the tale of the travelling hats begun by our inimitable dumbjaw.

The Federation III Standard which I purchased from dumbjaw was nice but I never thought it looked quite at home on my head. It was subsequently traded to a Fedora Lounge member in Sweden for a Borsalino which was nice but still not quite me. THe Borsalino was soon sold to our own Mr. Lucky. I believe it resides with him still in an Orenna incarnation.

Fast forward a year or so and I got caught up in the Camp Draft craze and ordered a Tawny Fawn from Hats Direct. Once it arrived, I liked it so much that I ordered another that is somewhere in the pipeline between production and Texas.

Then I decided that the Federation IV Standard might be more to my liking than the aforementioned Federation III Standard so I ordered one in grey which was soon delivered. While it was a nice hat, I suspected that I might not wear it very often. Then I remembered that dumbjaw had advertised a Federation III Deluxe in the classifieds and indicated that he might be interested in a trade. So I contacted dumbjaw and the trade ensued.

Now he has the Federation IV Standard and I have the Federation III Deluxe. I like the [Deluxe] Heritage Quality felt much more than the felt used in the standard. It is more substantial and has a better feel to the hand. I also find that I prefer the dimensions of the Federation III over the Federation IV.

However, as noted by Neil and others, there is simply no comparison between the quality of a beaver felt vs a rabbit/hare/lapin felt. Beaver is better.

By the way, for those who wonder, Art says to wear his hats in all weathers. That's what they're made for. I know many, perhaps most, of us don't due to their cost but I suspect they'd hold up better than rabbit over the long haul. What felts are found in most of our vintage hats? They're not all Beaver but I suspect the largest percentage are.

MattJH

One Too Many
carter said:
What felts are found in most of our vintage hats? They're not all Beaver but I suspect the largest percentage are.

None of mine specify, so I don't know what type of felt they're made from. Anyone know what a Stetson Whippet that originally cost $10 would be made from?

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
The Federation sounds like the perfect Adventure hat for all conditions. I ordered a standard last Saturday, so it should be to NYC any day now. I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow. I'm not going to worry at all about wearing it in downpours; if my modern Stetson can take it (it can, and I was surprised to due the modern Stetson reputation) then I know an Akubra can. By the way, has anyone tried the "turn" they talk about over at Indy Gear? (turning the hat a bit to the right and then bashing it to get that Indiana Jones brim shape)

Chilli

New in Town
I would like to thank Indycop for helping my wife out. She got me a Fed IV deluxe for christmas. Thanks for the help mate. I have bashed it and wear it everyday. It has a very rich and beautiful felt feel. Thanks again Indycop. I would recommed it to anyone. I haven't posted ant pics as I don't know how to. Thanks again to everyone that help if I have missed anyone. Chilli.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Chilli said:
I would like to thank Indycop for helping my wife out. She got me a Fed IV deluxe for christmas. Thanks for the help mate. I have bashed it and wear it everyday. It has a very rich and beautiful felt feel. Thanks again Indycop. I would recommed it to anyone. I haven't posted ant pics as I don't know how to. Thanks again to everyone that help if I have missed anyone. Chilli.
Huh, what did I do?lol Welcome to the lounge!:D I like that avatar too, it looks like some kind of secret organization.;)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I could use some Federation IV advice.

I'm looking for a new grey hat for daily wear and it seems as though the Fed IV might fill the bill, but I'm not crazy about the notion of a brim that's not the same width all the way around. I'm not a Indy fan (no offense intended to those who are), so I am definitely not interested in replicating that look.

Does Akubra sell any Feds with brims that are 63mm all the way around? (And in case anyone is inclined to suggest trimming the brim myself, I'd never have the nerve to do that. I'd botch that job for sure.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21