Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Motorcyclists: Safe Gear with a Vintage Vibe

Vanson also is my go-to. Not much to add but I read mention of winter jackets. The gear definitely has to be comfortable in the environment you ride in, if not it stays in the closet. Living down south the concern for me is finding gear that I still will wear when it is hot. I have tried a number of different brands' perforated jackets and IMO, the ones with the most flow are Vanson. More than enough flow to keep me comfortable while moving and the leather still feels substantial. My armored perf Force is my go-to summer jacket. Also, I always wear a full-face helmet (Bell Star). I purchased the helmet with the same concern in mind, airflow. This one provided great flow. Since I need music and to be able to handle the occasional call when riding, I have the Sena 20S BT headset, love that thing. I also have perforated gloves with the knuckles guards (can't recall the brand right now, either Rev'it or Dainese) though admittedly I do not always wear them.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting info on the Gringo in the UK, Edward. I tend to believe that the UK/European attitudes on moto safety are quite superior to those in the US so I'm not surprised to hear that the Gringo isn't fairing well across the pond. It's a great helmet; very large viewport and no heavy padding or chin curtain around the bottom so airflow in the hottest part of the summer is superb. For me, it's like wearing a 3/4 with a chin bar. Probably couldn't compare with the protection of a Shoei or Schuberth in a high speed crash, but it could save your face in a lower-speed off around town.

In all hnoesty I don't know the details, but it is often said that the standards for the ECE are higher. It's also possible that Biltwell just never got around to sumitting the Gringo for testin,g if they don't see it as primarily for the European market. I am told that the (not legally reuired) SHARP Test is actually better than both of them. Interestingly, the Premier Trophy does better on that than the Bell Bullit (despite being markedly cheaper), and across the board both do as well as many pricey modern helmets. It was ertainly interesting to me to lern that being much more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it'll perform better than another helmet. I'm just waiting for the helmet-mounted airbag to become a thing..... (like that scarf for bicyclists that turns into an airbag).

The tanker boots are just a shade lower than my 10-inch engineers. Without measuring, I'd say they are closer to 9 inches tall. What I like most about them is that the upper straps secure them so well. Really gives you confidence when you put your foot down in all kinds of weather. And under jeans they like like a pair of rugged engineers. Great boots, IMHO.

They lok superb. Chunky, but without being overly modernist.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Dainese have just announced their Settantadue collection, which is inspired by old school motorcycle gear. MCN have an introductory article on the range.

The Patina72 is a straightforward café racer jacket. It's not as sexy as the Vanson x Union Garage, but it's pretty cool.

Patina 72.jpg

But I prefer the Toga72 in white and red.

Toga 72.jpg

Edward

Bartender
First one looks nice.... THe second rather too modern for my tastes, though I'm sure well made. Quitea few companiesdoing those late 60s / ealy 70s racing type jackets at present, though - Helstons do a line in them for one. Not my bag for civvy street, but I can appreciate the look. Some of them remind me of Steve Macqueen, who seems increasingly to be a serious icon of cool in biker world, even moreso thanhe always was.

Is that first noe completely shorn of logos on the exterior? That's long been a pet hate of mine about so much motorcycle gear. Looks good, until you turn it round and there's a huge, crude logo stamped into the leather....

IXL

One Too Many
For any of you guys looking for warmth while riding, Patagonia produces the "Nano Puff," a very compressible high-techie synthetic jacket. It can easily be worn under any of my close-fitting jackets and adds a tremendous amount of warmth. It will expand to fill the voids between the wearer and the outer jacket. Additionally, they can be smushed down to almost nothing for easy carry on/off bike.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
For any of you guys looking for warmth while riding, Patagonia produces the "Nano Puff," a very compressible high-techie synthetic jacket. It can easily be worn under any of my close-fitting jackets and adds a tremendous amount of warmth. It will expand to fill the voids between the wearer and the outer jacket. Additionally, they can be smushed down to almost nothing for easy carry on/off bike.

Good call. I regularly wear that or the North Face thermoball primaloft jacket under my riding jacket during colder weather. Works really well.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
For riding in colder weather, if you don't have a heated vest or heated jacket, you are doing it wrong. I have an Aerostich Kanetsu vest, and plugged into my FZ1 by SAE connector, I can happily ride into the 20s. I commute 2 hrs/day, so gotta do what keeps me comfy. The Gen II FZ1 thankfully puts out about 550 watts at 5000rpm, so plenty of juice for GPS, heated gloves, and a heated vest in addition to the electrical load of the bike.

This thread makes me really miss my bike. Poor ba***rd hasn't seen the light of day in four years. It's always this time of year, when the weather turns, I'm reminded of my now annual failure.

IXL

One Too Many
For riding in colder weather, if you don't have a heated vest or heated jacket, you are doing it wrong. I have an Aerostich Kanetsu vest, and plugged into my FZ1 by SAE connector, I can happily ride into the 20s. I commute 2 hrs/day, so gotta do what keeps me comfy. The Gen II FZ1 thankfully puts out about 550 watts at 5000rpm, so plenty of juice for GPS, heated gloves, and a heated vest in addition to the electrical load of the bike.

My Kanetsu vest works well in frigid weather. My Gerbing heated jacket and gloves works even better, but I just don't like the whole wire-up-and-plug-in thing if it can be avoided. But at some point I'll pay big money to have insta-warmth available, usually when the temps hit the 20s°F

This morning I rode about 90 miles, starting just before sunup and in 34°F weather. The greater problem was the 54mph winds at that temperature, and they just got worse when I started moving. A long-sleeved tee, a hoodie, the afore mentioned Nano Puff, an insulated leather jacket, and the worlds heaviest pair of leather overalls, complete with a heavy quilted liner, did the trick. The battery-powered heated gloves were a big help, though. Now that I think about it, I could have just grabbed the Kanetsu and been dressed about an hour earlier.........

Peacoat

Bartender
@IXL thanks for the tip about the Nano Puff; I may give that a try. Might be warm enough for cool mornings that I don't need the electric vest and the attendant wire.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
As a rider, I wear a few items which are intended to protect me from hot pipes, rock strikes and minor abrasions.

Chippewa Engineer boots #27908, 17 inch high calf coverage and good grip soles. Expensive, but they last a long time for me. These particular boots are not steel toes as the steel toes are pretty heavy.

For gloves, I buy the white leather work gloves from Home Depot. The gold ones will turn your hands yellow in the first rain, but the white does not seem to bleed through.

Mossi® Tour Vent Leather Jacket - these are for the leanest bikers. Even I have trouble putting it on as these are cut very thin. (I have a runner's body.) There is also an annoying seam across the elbow which hurt. Love the look and concept, but the final package is not very pleasing. Pass on this jacket unless you are very lean and have iron elbows.

FMC First Motorcycling Corp has some good jackets. I got an Enforcer jacket on sale in a tall size and love it. Made in Pakistan, but it has held up to hard use and looks good.

I have a Harley mesh jacket in white and orange which gives me airflow option in summer with a high viz look. It has pouches for elbow pads. Pricey, but nice to be visible and have a blow through design in the Gulf South.

Keep your knuckles in the wind and the shiny side up!

Fed

Peacoat

Bartender
Chippewa Engineer boots #27908, 17 inch high calf coverage and good grip soles. Expensive, but they last a long time for me. These particular boots are not steel toes as the steel toes are pretty heavy.
I went with the Red Wing steel toe MC boots about ten years ago. Several years later I was taking a police course. During a keyhole exercise to the right I hit the base of a cone on the far wall while leaned way over and scraping the floorboard. The cone skidded and the motor went down hard with my right foot caught under it. The leather was scraped off down to the steel toe. The instructors pulled the motor off of me, and I got up. My ankle was a little sore, but no damage was done. The instructors examined the boot and made the comment, "Yep that's what the steel toes are for." Those Red Wings have never felt heavy after that incident.

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
For those of you looking for gloves with some "retro" appeal, I just picked up a pair of Vanson Rockets from Thurston Bros. Review coming shortly. In the process of breaking them in now so I can take them out on the road a bit. They're definitely built like Vanson makes their jackets so you have to spend a little time breaking them in before you can really get to know them.

Rev-O

New in Town
new member here but just adding to this thread by saying I'm a big fan of the Merlin waxed cotton jackets.

Mine is in an olive / brown colour just like a nicely aged Belstaff but with the added advantage of full removable CE body armour, a better fit / cut and a lower price. It's a winner.

Edit: I've got the Armitage jacket and would recommend it 100%

http://www.merlinbikegear.com/product-category/textiles/heritage-textiles/page/2/

Edward

Bartender
I went with the Red Wing steel toe MC boots about ten years ago. Several years later I was taking a police course. During a keyhole exercise to the right I hit the base of a cone on the far wall while leaned way over and scraping the floorboard. The cone skidded and the motor went down hard with my right foot caught under it. The leather was scraped off down to the steel toe. The instructors pulled the motor off of me, and I got up. My ankle was a little sore, but no damage was done. The instructors examined the boot and made the comment, "Yep that's what the steel toes are for." Those Red Wings have never felt heavy after that incident.

Steel toes definitely have their place. I'm wary, given the incidents I've heard of where they got crushed in a prang, but I certainly (when working in retail as a student, of all places) had my foot saved from a nasty break once or twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana