Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

I may or may not know anything about picking walmart bags full of mushrooms....but if I did, they probably didn't look as tasty as those, Bob.

Charlie it's hard to beat clean, ice cold spring water on a hot summer day. I indulged in a little of that myself at a spot near the house.

685433300eeb7ef1cbaa8c41f79a4b0a.jpg

d874d3a2677319af9ec97fe6b4867941.jpg

7709c288009526b847eaef57a1c50dcd.jpg

bc4902eb3202b65ded7b9662c64394fe.jpg

8f34972749aadcd057081b9033d5ab07.jpg

There's a little grotto where the water flows out of the ground from a cave, and even though it's been closed up to public access (probably a really smart move by the city) you can still feel the cold underground air blowing out from between the rocks. It's like a natural air conditioner, and combined with the ice cold water that flows out it's a great spot for a summer afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bob, don't think I have ever had Chanterelle mushrooms before. Don't think I even knew about them. Are they always that golden color? How do you fix them? Tell me more.

Yes, this variety is called yellow or golden chanterelle. There is a similar mushroom that is called red chanterelle or cinnabar. They are very orange. We picked about a half a bag of those yesterday, but they are not nearly as flavorful. They do add a nice color accent to a dish of golden chanterelles.

95e3b9b5f24dc5450ab874099e174368.jpg

I've never run into so many of these golden chanterelles. I pretty much had to stop looking or I would have been out there too long and probably overheated. There was even a few in my front yard in town last week (but that probably just says the wrong thing about how I care for my lawn).

You can use them like most any mushroom and I leave that up to my wife. I know we are going to have to dehydrate most of these for future use. There is still gold in them thar hills!

Charlie and Dale -- those springs look amazing and I bet the water is as good. We are fortunate to have a year-round spring here on the farm. It puts out quite a volume of water and keeps the creek cold on these hot August days.

My wife spotted Big Foot coming out of the woods down at the farm. Apparently he was finding Chanterelle mushrooms that had popped out after the recent rains. We ended up with four Wal-Mart bags full (an official unit of measure here in "Booger" County). It was very, very humid though, so we had to head to the creek with a six-pack of Boulevard Radlers to cool down after the treasure hunt.

There was an odd assortment of road-side trash in the woods going back decades. I think I found PBR cans covering quite a period of time. Some fully tin (punched open with a "church-key"), some tin with an aluminum top and a pull tab. The oddest thing was a vintage Bolens Husky mower apparently unceremoniously dumped off the back of a truck on this logging road. If it's still there next week I'll load it up (didn't have my ramps).

28831379865_36565fba7c_z.jpg
Great pics. Glad you found lots of treasure. You better get back there, now that you have made me aware of the mowers presence. [emoji14]

I may or may not know anything about picking walmart bags full of mushrooms....but if I did, they probably didn't look as tasty as those, Bob.

Charlie it's hard to beat clean, ice cold spring water on a hot summer day. I indulged in a little of that myself at a spot near the house.

It's like a natural air conditioner, and combined with the ice cold water that flows out it's a great spot for a summer afternoon.
Now that looks like a great time, Dale! Especially in the 101 degree heat and humidity.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
He was thrilled! He tried to be stoic for the photo! I'm told bullheads aren't great eating so late in the season because the warmer waters make them mushy. I've been on a fishing hiatus for about 20 years, but am trying to make it a habit again. It's a learning process!
Really enjoying everyone else's pics too! I have a lot of catching up to do, but the shroom pickins look fun!
Arches is amazing, Blackthorn-- great pics.
Frunobulax-- looks like a great time in a great cap!

Great pics. Glad you found lots of treasure. You better get back there, now that you have made me aware of the mowers presence. [emoji14]

Thanks Harv! I thought about that mower all day Sunday. It is a '71 Bolens Husky (1254-01 with 12HP Wisconsin motor) and, even though it has an apparent problem, it would be a good parts donor for someone, a possible restoration project or it is about 650 pounds of scrap if nothing else. Plus it's littering the woods.

The wife wasn't as excited about it as I was... :(

Thanks Harv! I thought about that mower all day Sunday. It is a '71 Bolens Husky (1254-01 with 12HP Wisconsin motor) and, even though it has an apparent problem, it would be a good parts donor for someone, a possible restoration project or it is about 650 pounds of scrap if nothing else. Plus it's littering the woods.

The wife wasn't as excited about it as I was... :(
Man, if I had a Bolens Husky every time my wife was not as excited as me....
.....well, I'd have an awesome looking yard!

The wife went out of town for a wedding ... so ... I went to the woods and gathered some things.

28882530391_9e5841d0ee_z.jpg

28342569673_98a70a8e9a_z.jpg

28854161682_8a823c044c_z.jpg

Check out the burl "walnut" dash. So 1970s.

28339967694_84c5c131e8_z.jpg

Also found a few more chanterelles.

28854163012_979833cf14_z.jpg

And a stump full of tiny, tiny mushrooms. I left those alone.

28342572633_7421f6044e_z.jpg

Good thing the creek level had dropped after the overnight deluge of rain. i could get across the bridge.

28339972034_ef257652b8_z.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On Corfu... Scouting the foundations of the Temple of Hera (circa 500 BC)

A cold reward after a hot hike.... According to legend, that island in the bay is Odysseus' ship; Poseidon turned it to stone after the voyage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto