Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Well, not a fedora in action but a miniature top hat. Wife and I spent a few days at the Pelican Inn, a reproduction of a 16th century English tavern. I had to get this pic of me next to the cider that was named after me (I wish...I think they should still pay me royalties:

i5osx2.jpg
Maybe someone could convert your photo to a Sepia tone for a more vintage look. This is not Sepia but as close as I could get.

71nwu9.jpg

Aren't they called Half Top Hats?

2ymaavc.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I like that effect, Jack! I'll see if I can get a sepia effect and check back if I can. I was indeed inspired to get the hat after seeing Dead Man. Not a fantastically great movie but I like that hat.

I was indeed inspired to get the hat after seeing Dead Man. Not a fantastically great movie but I like that hat.
I like the movie because it's a "thinker" where I come up with different intereptations every time I watch it. Plus I like Neil Young's soundtrack.

If you ever go back to the Inn it would be fun to work at getting some "period looking" photos, realizing they didn't have photography in the 16th century.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Good point about it being a "thinker." My only gripe is the last 20 minutes of the movie, which should have taken maybe 3 minutes. But it is very interesting up till then, I have to agree.

I like your idea of doing "Period Looking" photos. We didn't, exactly, since my wife was wearing modern clothing, but the idea was there in this one:

2afze53.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This morning I took a walk on a sunny and cold winter morning. Temperature decrease of 10 degrees Celsius from yesterday :rolleyes:
I went from my office in the north of Verona neighborhoods to the west crossing the river Adige to arrive in an architectural firm where I had a document to be withdrawn.
Here's what I propose of my journey

2ypg32g.jpg

The Tower of the Chain is a military building built on the river bed as part of the defensive system of the city of Verona. The tower, now abandoned, is located between the Chain Bridge and the Ponte Risorgimento
1zwgk1v.jpg

It was built in the fourteenth century, about the same time at Mid Bastion of Upper Chain.
It's called "the chain" because it was built, in the midst of the current of the Adige, to attach a chain that connected and closed the two banks of the river.
2zxw8wx.jpg

Being located right where the walls of Verona came on the river Adige, the tower had the task of preventing the commercial traffic on the river at night, and then smuggling, as well as to take a defensive task, since in it was also stationed a garrison of soldiers.
28i9am9.jpg

In addition, the tower also served as customs control for goods entering in Verona and coming down the river.
The Tower of the chain gave its name first to Porta Catena, this close on the right bank of the Adige, and then to the Chain Bridge, which is located at the main Hospital of Verona, although the tower now is closer to Ponte Risorgimento, built later.
vkr2a.jpg

Stra Barbisio
I arrived in the "Orti di Spagna" a land inside the walls of the city grown up to 50 years of this century.
The architectural firm is located in the house where my paternal grandmother Giuseppina De Biasi (1885-1959) was born
20k7zah.jpg

The interior of the court
156pldf.jpg

Restored almost thirty years ago
jab7nq.jpg

This group of old houses, dating from the Middle Ages were a courtyard with the main house and outbuildings for the peasants who worked the orchards that stretched between the walls and the banks of the Adige
24fdagk.jpg

This is the back of the "Corte Spagnola" towards the walls
2434268.jpg

The place has been fully built during the 50s and sixties when the town hall of Verona has built a road that passed between the walls and then the next bridge, from which I made the photographs, which combined the two banks of the Adige.

This morning I took a walk on a sunny and cold winter morning. Temperature decrease of 10 degrees Celsius from yesterday :rolleyes:
I went from my office in the north of Verona neighborhoods to the west crossing the river Adige to arrive in an architectural firm where I had a document to be withdrawn.
Here's what I propose of my journey

2ypg32g.jpg

The Tower of the Chain is a military building built on the river bed as part of the defensive system of the city of Verona. The tower, now abandoned, is located between the Chain Bridge and the Ponte Risorgimento
1zwgk1v.jpg

It was built in the fourteenth century, about the same time at Mid Bastion of Upper Chain.
It's called "the chain" because it was built, in the midst of the current of the Adige, to attach a chain that connected and closed the two banks of the river.
2zxw8wx.jpg

Being located right where the walls of Verona came on the river Adige, the tower had the task of preventing the commercial traffic on the river at night, and then smuggling, as well as to take a defensive task, since in it was also stationed a garrison of soldiers.
28i9am9.jpg

In addition, the tower also served as customs control for goods entering in Verona and coming down the river.
The Tower of the chain gave its name first to Porta Catena, this close on the right bank of the Adige, and then to the Chain Bridge, which is located at the main Hospital of Verona, although the tower now is closer to Ponte Risorgimento, built later.
vkr2a.jpg

Stra Barbisio
I arrived in the "Orti di Spagna" a land inside the walls of the city grown up to 50 years of this century.
The architectural firm is located in the house where my paternal grandmother Giuseppina De Biasi (1885-1959) was born
20k7zah.jpg

The interior of the court
156pldf.jpg

Restored almost thirty years ago
jab7nq.jpg

This group of old houses, dating from the Middle Ages were a courtyard with the main house and outbuildings for the peasants who worked the orchards that stretched between the walls and the banks of the Adige
24fdagk.jpg

This is the back of the "Corte Spagnola" towards the walls
2434268.jpg

The place has been fully built during the 50s and sixties when the town hall of Verona has built a road that passed between the walls and then the next bridge, from which I made the photographs, which combined the two banks of the Adige.
Thanks for great photos and history Daniele!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112