Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

A couple of pictures of the hats... Borsalino Pocket Hat and Dobbs Cross Country. Dad's got a big black Resistol.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

On the ride home, stopped in Owego, NY. Monday special... 2 slices and a Coke for $2.99. Now that's vintage.

e.jpg

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice pics and nice hats Alan .
Yes mike that VS is my official campfire hat and had the ash residue to prove it.
I am thinking in another 20 yrs god willing the hat should finally have a nice patina.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm gonna hop in si nce now thi is a new thread and I'm still a new member.
Here's a pic of my family and me on a recent outing to Sloss furnaces, a historic landmark in Birmingham.
And since there's a trend to combine threads afoot, I remember seeing one about weird comments about your hat but I couldn't find it. This photo is on my desk at work, and a coworker saw it and told me I "look like Sammy Davis Jr. in that hat" ?????

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Sammy Davis Junior???? Really? Man and I thought I had it bad. You Poppa to all of those beautiful kids? Man Fedora off to you!

Worf

Sammy Davis Junior???? Really? Man and I thought I had it bad. You Poppa to all of those beautiful kids? Man Fedora off to you!

Worf

TOO Funny Worf!! It IS unbelievable what you hear from some folks... poor things!

Great still life composition Bond. Two of my VS lids are reserved for the smell of campfire. That smell will be part of the patina.

Thanks for taking us along Alan. Grandparents (presently our folks' generation) are only here "on loan." Good to see him doing so well.

Last edited:
Joao and Alan, thanks for sharing the coasts. Alan you are a lucky man to still have your dad around, your kids even luckier.
Dave thats a beautiful spot for a shot with your little girl. You are a lucky man as well.
Worf - your reaction was probably on par with mine, and yes, I claim em all. Made most the old fashioned way and took a few in, but they're mine now too. Makes life more "interesting", having a bunch

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
THANKS! A big thanks to all recently.

This thread is a big reason I tune in to the FL. Your pics, portraits and adventures are truly enjoyable and elicit memories and provide me the recovery of emotions of same places or similar places I have visited. I love it!

I am planning some adventures and need to visit a coastal vista.

Keep it up. Eric -

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
It was a birthday present from my wife two years ago, my first trip to a real hat shop here in the centre of Brussels, and the only fedora there that looked right on me. The shop owner, who is in his eighties, and a third generation hatter, got it out of the back of an antique closet (the whole shop is antique, it's exactly as it would have been in the early 1900's) after having me try several Barbisio's, none of which fit right (long oval head, almost like a crystal skull :p).
I love the hat, it's very light and comfortable. It has no brand markings, a cloth sweatband, and no liner. I went back recently, in vain, for a beaver felt fedora, and they told me it's a Guerra.

And thank you all for the kind words and welcome. :cool:

Last edited:
That Borso is sublime, wow!
I can't tell, is that a Cavanaugh edge on the Dobbs?

Thank you for the comments...

Dan, the Dobbs has an overwelt brim edge.

... Alan you are a lucky man to still have your dad around, your kids even luckier.

Very true. My Dad is 88. Before heading out to spend a few days with him, I visited with my in-laws and stopped to play a round of golf. My father-in-law is 94. He taught me this silly game about twenty years ago. Now on a good day, I can beat him by two strokes.

golf_buddies.jpg

casechopper

The mod's combined it into the What hat are you wearing today thread. Then, after some protest from a variety of members here they said to make a new thread as the old thread couldn't be returned (this was my understanding of the situation anyway).

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Yes Josh, the old thread is closed, that is the new thread opened from Lefty!

The mod's combined it into the What hat are you wearing today thread. Then, after some protest from a variety of members here they said to make a new thread as the old thread couldn't be returned (this was my understanding of the situation anyway).

Ah, I see. Thanks Gentlemen. Just to clarify......are there any specific rules with this new thread? Like, does the picture of me have to be taken outside to qualify?

casechopper

You could take it literally like GTDean and actually be in a field when taking photos for this thread :D

I think in general the idea is that this thread includes photos of more than just the hat you're wearing. If it's just the hat then the WHAYWT thread is probably the best option while if you have a photo series of doing something while wearing a hat then this would be a good place for it.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
You could take it literally like GTDean and actually be in a field when taking photos for this thread :D

I think in general the idea is that this thread includes photos of more than just the hat you're wearing. If it's just the hat then the WHAYWT thread is probably the best option while if you have a photo series of doing something while wearing a hat then this would be a good place for it.

That's kinda what I thought and fully agree with that. Thanks for the clarification :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider