Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

53Effie

A-List Customer
For motorcycling primarily, I have a pair of White/Hathorn Open Road engineer boots and I have a pair of Wesco harness boots. They are both size 10D and I can tell no difference in fit or quality of construction. I think the leather on the Wesco's may be just a bit thicker, but not much. I also have a pair of White Smokejumpers and the leather on those and the Wesco's feel just the same. Both companies make an excellent product in my experience.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I own two pairs of Wesco's and have owned five pairs of White's over the last few years. I'd say the White's tend to be quite a bit heavier and most of that seems to be coming from their "high arch"-construction.

In terms of quality I can't make out a difference when it comes to their sturdiness.
However I found the Wesco's are made with some more attention to detail, while the White's are definitely made for the craftsman, who chooses robustness over looks. The sizing is exactly the same for my foot.

As a recommendation: if I was looking for a lace-up boot, I would probably choose White's and prefer Wesco's when it comes to pull-up models. Both brands can do both styles, but choosing them on that basis is probably the closest to their own positioning. And while we're at it: don't forget to consider Viberg!

IXL

One Too Many
White's Smoke Jumper model is hard to beat for a lace-up style. They have very supportive and high arches. They do weigh a ton but I can wear them for 16 hours with no problems.

chatreed

Banned
Here are my new boots. I`m incredibly surprised by the service of the Whites staff, and of the quality of the boot. It is a very fine quality boot, with the inner parts really hand made and cut. Damn, I`m at a loss for words...here are some pics...
DSC_5324.jpg

quite good-look,I think it would be handsome for hunting

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
comparing incomparable items from each maker:

whitesnwescos.jpg

You can't order both varieties from both makers, albeit quite similar basic models exist in each range, so these two kind of mark the different ends of the spectrum.

Left is a pair of White's semi-dress with block/90 degree heel, "slim trim" and toe cap in waterbuffalo leather.
Right is the Wesco Boss with the "Motorcycle Patrol" toe, Vibram 100R-sole, double gear patch and triple buckle in burlap rough-out leather.
Both have the lowest available heel for that respective model.

Of course, you could go a lot wilder if color combinations are your thing.
Anyway, I admit the Boss is kind of a freak already, but I love it and it's a dream to walk in.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I happened upon this......

[video=youtube;KC3DlNBb32w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC3DlNBb32w&feature=player_embedded[/video]

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I own two pairs of Wesco's and have owned five pairs of White's over the last few years. I'd say the White's tend to be quite a bit heavier and most of that seems to be coming from their "high arch"-construction.

In terms of quality I can't make out a difference when it comes to their sturdiness.
However I found the Wesco's are made with some more attention to detail, while the White's are definitely made for the craftsman, who chooses robustness over looks. The sizing is exactly the same for my foot.

As a recommendation: if I was looking for a lace-up boot, I would probably choose White's and prefer Wesco's when it comes to pull-up models. Both brands can do both styles, but choosing them on that basis is probably the closest to their own positioning. And while we're at it: don't forget to consider Viberg!

My experience with White's and Wesco is recent, but my thoughts are almost exactly the same as eClairvaux. I am comparing White's standard toe Smoke Jumpers to Wesco Boss pull on boots, but I have also tried out the Wesco Jomaster lace-ups, so I feel like my comparison is pretty much apples to apples. I will be writing up a comparison in the near future with pictures.

The thickness of the leather feels virtually the same to me (both say their uppers are 7 oz). My Wescos use stiffer leather than my White's, which were quite supple right out of the box. White's are heavier because of the thick, high arch construction. Wescos have more of a standard shoe arch (flatter) and are lighter in weight. Wescos have more rounded Toes than the standard White's Smoke Jumper. The Smoke Jumper is not pointy by an means, but not as dramatically round. The Wesco toe is hard while the White's toe is soft (although lace to toe White's use a hard toe).

The sizing is very similar - I can wear the same size in both, but I have a size 12.5 D in Whites and a Size 13 D in Wesco (they don't make a 12.5). For what it's worth, I have tried on a size 13 in White's and they were also a good fit. I feel that both Wescos and White's fit true to size.

Personally, I prefer the White's lace ups to the Wesco Lace Ups. They are both fine boots, but the White's just exude the qualtiy that you would expect from this caliber of boot. I also love the real arch support - it takes a few days to get used to, but once you've had them for a bit, you'll never want to go back. I think my White's have the same attention to detail as my Wescos, but YMMV.

Another great option that often gets overlooked is a company called Nick's Boots. They make boots that are very similar to White's, in the same town (Spokane, WA). I will be reviewing these as well, but I have had a great experience working with them, and their boots are every bit as good as White's or Wesco.

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lace up work boots (Wesco, Viberg, White's, Nick's, and any others, old and new)

We have a thread for engineer/harness boots. We have a thread for
Viberg boots. We have a thread for Wesco boots
( http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?6064-Wesco-Boots ).
We have a thread for Red Wing boots
( http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?54371-Red-Wing-Boots ).
But I don't think we have a thread for all vintage or
vintage style work boots.

I'll start out by linking to the post I made when my Vibergs arrived.
With a bit of luck I'll have time this weekend to post pictures of how
they look today. Excellent boots!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?42226-Viberg-Boots&p=974307&viewfull=1#post974307

Here is my first pair of Wesco boots. Hope to post a new picture
of these and my other Wescos soon, too.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?41624-Wesco-Boots-Sale&p=1024306&viewfull=1#post1024306

feltfan

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Spit-shining the Iron Ranger

I picked up a pair of IRs in the amber harness color a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what kind of finish the other models have but I would call these an oiled naked leather. Whatever it is, it's not the traditional finish that a leather dress shoe would have. I've been applying polish (brown and neutral) about once a week and lightly buffing with a brush. It wasn't doing much but I was making sure to build up a good thick base on the toes for a future spit-shine. Tonight I tried to put a real shine on the caps and I think it worked pretty well. You could probably get away with wearing these to a semi-dressy occasion. Looking closer, I didn't get all the lawn clipping dust off:eusa_doh:
mvnl80.jpg

yhx75.jpg

You can really see the difference here
10zoeqe.jpg

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Interesting Jack, I never considered doing that with mine. I use them for dog walking, gardening and general household jobs consequently they are rather scuffed but do seem to be holding up very well to the abuse.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I didn't know it'd be possible to polish the Iron Rangers, unlike the Beckman. I do apply cream on my Iron Rangers, but it doesn't make them shine like the Beckman.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Interesting Jack, I never considered doing that with mine. I use them for dog walking, gardening and general household jobs consequently they are rather scuffed but do seem to be holding up very well to the abuse.

They seem to dry out pretty quick. So if you're not using the oil that Redwing recommends, I'd occasionally hit em with polish or neutral cream just to keep them moist.

I didn't know it'd be possible to polish the Iron Rangers, unlike the Beckman. I do apply cream on my Iron Rangers, but it doesn't make them shine like the Beckman.

I wasn't sure it would work either. I gotta try the heels next.

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
Interesting subject, Jack.
I also own two pair of Iron Rangers, in dark brown and light brown suede.
Never tought about shining them...
If you want a real glossy shine, try the following:
Take a cotton cloth, a tin of brown shoe polish like Kiwi's. Take the lit off and pour a little water in the lit.
Wet the cloth a little and smear a little shoe polish on the wet part. Not too much though.
Now take your shoe and begin to circle the shoe polish on the part of the shoe you want to polish.
In the beginning it will turn matt. Wet your cloth again and circle the cloth (with the tip of one or two fingers) on a small spot like a square inch or so. Keep circling and wet your cloth so now and then. Maybe add a little bit shoe polish. Keep circling and after some time you will notice a bright shine coming true the matte surface! You will be amazed how little shoe polish you need and how much water. It will take some time to give a shoe cap a good finish. Maybe 30 minutes or more! But it sure will do the trick.
Good luck mate!
Andy

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Interesting subject, Jack.
I also own two pair of Iron Rangers, in dark brown and light brown suede.
Never tought about shining them...
If you want a real glossy shine, try the following:
Take a cotton cloth, a tin of brown shoe polish like Kiwi's. Take the lit off and pour a little water in the lit.
Wet the cloth a little and smear a little shoe polish on the wet part. Not too much though.......

:D That's precisely how I did it and you did a very good job of describing the process. When I was a teenager, an Army Staff Sergeant taught me that and I've done it to certain shoes ever since. Though, I don't think I can get the IR toe caps any shinier.

feltfan

The Vibergs today:

2011_04300007.jpg

2011_04300006.jpg

2011_04300005.jpg

Note that the leather laces broke after about 6 months. They came with the cloth laces pictured
here as well (two pairs of laces- that's classy) and these are top knotch.

I'm not a great photographer and neither is my camera. I haven't polished these shoes all year.
They are pretty much broken in now, but still incredibly stiff. Mostly it's the extremely thick sole.
I see the advantage of wafflestompers now. The leather is also remarkably thick and partly lined.
Overall, probably my best made, heaviest work boot.

feltfan

Burgundy WESCOs.

2011_04300004.jpg

2011_04300003.jpg

I have polished these a couple of times with Meltonian cordovan and it seems to work well. Careful
of the white thread... The WESCO burgundy is apparently only available in a lighter leather. Still not thin
by any means. Between that and the comparatively thin sole, they broke in in no time. Very comfortable.
Heck of a Factory Seconds find. Note how beat up the laces look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21