Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

LouisBailie

Banned
I love the way the 6" Wescos look. I like that Wesco is hanging back from Viberg and White's insofar as the fashion crowd, while showing that they can absolutely play in that arena. I know Nick's is dabbling a bit harder in the fashion world, but I have hopes that both Wesco and Nick's continue to be work and industrial based.

Both make anything anyone orders and lots of those custom designed "dandys" then almost immediately show up for sale on ebay. When the new stiff leather boots hurt the "new" type owners feet.

They are always listed at 10% off though....:D

Here's a pair for you hardcore enthusiasts.....
3bc16040ef60f17edd7af8b2c4347214.jpg

Mud Dogs, made by Georgia boots, after an afternoon of doing their job.

Something a little more civilized for today.....
6ac5cc440dfe50578fba5dd0152d50aa.jpg

These are the Iron Rangers I bought at Christmas time, with about 4 months of near daily wear. They took a lot longer to break in than any of my other Red Wings, but are comfortable on par with them now. About six weeks ago I got some industrial lye splashed on them and it made light spots that no amount of polish seems to cover up, I even tried coloring them with a sharpie but it just rubs off. I've decided to just let them go and give them a good thrashing. I bought them for work, anyway.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Just snagged a pair of Wesco Morrison's in black domain leather from their sale page, $250 shipped. woot woot. I forgot to grab a pic save before i bought them but they look like these only mine have khaki stitching and brown edging. One boot is 1/2 inch shorter than the other but frankly my dear i don't give a
morrison.jpg

Attachments

• wesco.jpg
    wesco.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:

Harry Morgan

New in Town
These "Knobelbecher" have been work- and hunting-boots for the upper-class-people in the German countryside of old. Extremely sturdy and protecting the wearer from the elements, from the mud and manure and ****. You could imagine old Bismarck wearing these when inspecting his estates east of the Elbe before he became "Rechskanzler" and iron and so.;)

PS: He great, I just noticed you have automated removal of swear-words, how crazy is that! Loving it!!!:D:D:D

After seeing the boot in that link, I remember having a pair like those when I was in high school. Mine were some kind of German military surplus, and though about a size too narrow I still wore them a lot. I think I paid $20 for them at a surplus sale that used to come around and set up once a year at the local U's student union.

dddrees

New in Town
I certainly wouldn't call them work boots.

Being that they are made from a fairly thick waxy water resistant leather (Heather Gorse) using the Veldtschoen weldt on a Ridgeway Sole which happens to be on the more bulbous EG 64 Last then I think some might disagree such as myself. Besides at the core these particular boots happen to be some pretty tough boots.

Now the same model boot on a different Last using different leather make them look less work boot like and much more casual.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Something a little more civilized for today.....
6ac5cc440dfe50578fba5dd0152d50aa.jpg

These are the Iron Rangers I bought at Christmas time, with about 4 months of near daily wear. They took a lot longer to break in than any of my other Red Wings, but are comfortable on par with them now. About six weeks ago I got some industrial lye splashed on them and it made light spots that no amount of polish seems to cover up, I even tried coloring them with a sharpie but it just rubs off. I've decided to just let them go and give them a good thrashing. I bought them for work, anyway.
Nice. That will just add character to them. I have the same boots (8111s), and I wear mine a lot -- love em'.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Just snagged a pair of Wesco Morrison's in black domain leather from their sale page, $250 shipped. woot woot. I forgot to grab a pic save before i bought them but they look like these only mine have khaki stitching and brown edging. One boot is 1/2 inch shorter than the other but frankly my dear i don't give a
View attachment 29070
Hardly noticeable -- great score

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bought these Red Wings new in 1974. (Yes, 1974.)

Just got 'em back from the repairman, who reattached the soles.

These boots got used quite a bit the first few years I owned them. Since then, they've been worn mostly when there's snow on the ground. In greater Seattle, that's infrequently. Now that I'm in Denver, though, and have every expectation I'll be shoveling snow come winter, well, I wanted a good serviceable pair of boots.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana