Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

RJR

Red Wing 2971 Engineer Boots in Copper Rough and Tough

I picked these up in the same sale that I got the 8840's above from. The copper rough and tough leather is really cool. It's similar to the amber harness leather in thickness and texture and has a lot of variation in color.

VpQ0ZtNh.jpg

UCRgQeWh.jpg

yC4O3bgh.jpg
Those are really sharp.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I finally picked up my first pair of Nick's earlier this week. There was a slight delay due to the leather I requested, but it was well worth the wait!!! These are the thickest, stiffest pair of work boots I have ever owned!!!! I like the look of the contrasting tongue. I didn't request it, but it seems to be something Nick's does fairly often, so if you DIDN'T want this, I'd be sure to mention it. In this case, there is no way the Tan Teton leather used on the rest of the boot could be used on the tongue. You would never be able to fold the tongue over to lace up the boots.

I have been wearing the boots every day since Tuesday, and they are starting to soften ever so slightly. I expect a few weeks to get them broken in enough to make them truly comfortable.

As for overall build quality, EXCELLENT! The sole stitching is the most perfect I have seen on any workboots, and the rest of the upper stitching is excellent. These are Tan Teton leather for the uppers, tan lining (which is completely unnecessary for this leather, but it is something I just wanted), celastic toe, 6" height. I take a 9 1/2D in White's, Wesco, and Red Wing and wear a medium thickness wool sock. The Nicks\'s are also a 9 1/2D, and seem to run 1 width wider and maybe 1/2 size longer. This actually worked out perfect for me, because I wanted them for winter wear and can fit the thickest monster wool socks I own in them. These socks are too thick to even get my foot into a 9 1/2D pair of White's or Wesco.

Still in the box:
View media item 745
Fresh out of the box:
View media item 746
On my feet:
View media item 747

Mercer

One of the Regulars
I can't see the photos, and if I click on the image links it takes me to an error message.

I finally picked up my first pair of Nick's earlier this week. There was a slight delay due to the leather I requested, but it was well worth the wait!!! These are the thickest, stiffest pair of work boots I have ever owned!!!! I like the look of the contrasting tongue. I didn't request it, but it seems to be something Nick's does fairly often, so if you DIDN'T want this, I'd be sure to mention it. In this case, there is no way the Tan Teton leather used on the rest of the boot could be used on the tongue. You would never be able to fold the tongue over to lace up the boots.

I have been wearing the boots every day since Tuesday, and they are starting to soften ever so slightly. I expect a few weeks to get them broken in enough to make them truly comfortable.

As for overall build quality, EXCELLENT! The sole stitching is the most perfect I have seen on any workboots, and the rest of the upper stitching is excellent. These are Tan Teton leather for the uppers, tan lining (which is completely unnecessary for this leather, but it is something I just wanted), celastic toe, 6" height. I take a 9 1/2D in White's, Wesco, and Red Wing and wear a medium thickness wool sock. The Nicks\'s are also a 9 1/2D, and seem to run 1 width wider and maybe 1/2 size longer. This actually worked out perfect for me, because I wanted them for winter wear and can fit the thickest monster wool socks I own in them. These socks are too thick to even get my foot into a 9 1/2D pair of White's or Wesco.

Still in the box:
View media item 745
Fresh out of the box:
View media item 746
On my feet:
View media item 747

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure why that is. If one of the admins knows what would cause it please let me know. I don't think I have posted photos here in a long time, definitely since the format was upgraded several months back. There may be a setting I need to change.

lina

Practically Family
Very interesting. Would love to see a few more pics, especially from the side

Where did you get them resoled? Do they feel more comfortable on the Christy soles?

Chippewa made L.L. Bean Katahdin Iron Works boots modified with extra midsole + Vibram wedge sole.
E0Mugv6l.jpg

lina

Practically Family
Really an interested pair of boots. Can I ask where you got them?

Just got some new Red Wing 8840's. I believe these were originally intended for the Asian market and weren't sold in the USA. I couldn't find much info on them other than a couple Korean sites that called them police boots. They're a bit like an Iron Ranger on a Christy style sole with a perforated cap toe. They fit like Iron Rangers but with a bit more width in the toe box which is perfect for me. The leather finish is similar to Doc Martens smooth leather but is much thicker (probably at least twice as thick). Overall very happy with these.

4yXR4jah.jpg

tNDVwTXh.jpg

haistelija

New in Town
Very interesting. Would love to see a few more pics, especially from the side

Where did you get them resoled? Do they feel more comfortable on the Christy soles?
The resole job was done by Suutari J. Erving, a great cobbler and the only official place for Red Wing Shoe repair here in Finland. His Facebook and Instagram. He replaced the original plastic heel rand with leather, replaced the "carpet like filler" with proper cork filler and added 5,5mm Leather midsole + the Vibram wedge sole of course. Here's a couple more pics.
The Morflex sole is a lot more comfortable when walking longer distances than the original neo cork sole which is actually quite hard and very hardwearing. My another pair has their original sole still on and they've been in use since -07.

lina

Practically Family
Thanks. A really nice re-build. I wore a similar pair of pre-Katahdin Chippewa engineer boots for over 10 years. The leather uppers just look better and and better with wear. But yes, the hard soles killed my feet!

The resole job was done by Suutari J. Erving, a great cobbler and the only official place for Red Wing Shoe repair here in Finland. His Facebook and Instagram. He replaced the original plastic heel rand with leather, replaced the "carpet like filler" with proper cork filler and added 5,5mm Leather midsole + the Vibram wedge sole of course. Here's a couple more pics.
The Morflex sole is a lot more comfortable when walking longer distances than the original neo cork sole which is actually quite hard and very hardwearing. My another pair has their original sole still on and they've been in use since -07.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Picked up these boots yesterday. Really wish they fit me. Very thick, sturdy leather. Possibly horsehide. They really don't seem to have been worn a lot. I googled what I could on Gorilla Shoes, but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on a timeframe for these?

Thanks,
B

gorilla_1.jpg
gorilla_2.jpg
gorilla_3.jpg
gorilla_4.jpg
gorilla_5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points