Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
0c3fc7fb97d804a48695d7912a975523.jpg
Red Wing IRs today

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
PLEASE!!!! Tell me the best way to break these in. I bought a pair almost a year ago and its been pain and misery ever since. They fit there is no doubt but, my feet are wide and once they relax, my right foot in particular, well it rubs pretty much where my little toe "knuckle" juts out. no such thing on my left foot its breaking in fine there. Here's the thing, I have cancer. I have had it since 1995 and I have never had a problem, ( you know "slow healing") but this thing has formed "king corn" and it ain't ah goin' away, please if you know some kind of remedy, could I maybe have the secret?
THANKS!
Desperate in Pennsylvania!!!!

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
No problem sir, it happens to a lot of folks who wear RW footwear. I myself have a wide foot, so I feel your pain (no pun intended). I've had success with soaking my boots in the tub, and wearing them until they dry off. This helps the leather stretch and mold to your feet. But, make sure you wear them with the socks you normally wear with your boots. Trust me, it works. The same concept applies for loosening up a snug-fitting leather jacket by wearing it in the rain. If works great on horsehide jackets. Hopefully, this will help alleviate painful rubbing/blisters.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dancinggods

New in Town
I posted this in its own thread, but this seems to be a thread about what I'm looking for, so I'll post here too.

hey, so I pretty much only wear dickies 874 and the long sleeve work shirt, with the pants up at my belly button. I've got a velour fedora and a newsboy cap. Everything is black and I've dressed this way for two years. I like the 40s/50s workwear look. I have a pair of redwing 877s, but for black boots I haven't found quite the right thing. I wore out a pair of Stacy Adams Madison's in a year and don't want those again. I can't particularly afford another pair of Redwings. At modern blue collar prices, what on the market today is relatively unchanged for the most authentic black boot to go with my "uniform?" I was looking into black Corcoran Jumper boots, but without seeing these in person first I don't know if they would have the half dressy half work boot 40s/50s look. The price is right and I've seen on other threads that people like them. Does anyone have any pictures of them being worn in a similar context, rather than with military fatigues? Thanks!!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Red Wing Iron Rangers run borderline narrow (and my feet are that type) so would not think those wold be a good long-term solution for yuo. Mine took ~3 months of daily wear to break in, they are 11.5 D's and fit very well. They are a little "flat" for my tastes but I still use them nearly every day, all day.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Red Wing Iron Rangers run borderline narrow (and my feet are that type) so would not think those wold be a good long-term solution for you. Mine took ~3 months of daily wear to break in, they are 11.5 D's and fit very well. They are a little "flat" for my tastes but I still use them nearly every day, all day.
I did buy them in double E's, and after much careful choosing how and when (if I am retaining fluid or not) I wear them, at least 6 hours or so a clip, they are finally coming around, pheeew. Plenty of toe space no problem there.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
PLEASE!!!! Tell me the best way to break these in. I bought a pair almost a year ago and its been pain and misery ever since. They fit there is no doubt but, my feet are wide and once they relax, my right foot in particular, well it rubs pretty much where my little toe "knuckle" juts out. no such thing on my left foot its breaking in fine there. Here's the thing, I have cancer. I have had it since 1995 and I have never had a problem, ( you know "slow healing") but this thing has formed "king corn" and it ain't ah goin' away, please if you know some kind of remedy, could I maybe have the secret?
THANKS!
Desperate in Pennsylvania!!!!
I could use my stretcher with a "button" on the appliance that fits inside the toebox of your boot, would push that area of the boot open a bit to allow some "give" to that area of your foot.

Anyone own a pair of "Thursday" brand boots?

I don't, but have noticed them on line - they look fantastic.

Also, since seeing it posted here, I've been thinking about getting a pair of these ⇩ Iron Ranger #8083 in Hawthorne Muleskinner Leather and wanted to know if anybody had any experience on:
  • Sizing: I'm 11.5, but they suggest, owing to the # 8 last, ordering down a size (which I do with Alden boots and that works perfectly) - anyone have any thoughts?
  • How do these do in the rain and snow? I know they aren't waterproof but
    • Do they provide any protection / at least in drizzles, i.e., when it's not too wet?
    • How do they do getting wet - any issues with the leather?
Thank you

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't, but have noticed them on line - they look fantastic.

Also, since seeing it posted here, I've been thinking about getting a pair of these ⇩ Iron Ranger #8083 in Hawthorne Muleskinner Leather and wanted to know if anybody had any experience on:
  • Sizing: I'm 11.5, but they suggest, owing to the # 8 last, ordering down a size (which I do with Alden boots and that works perfectly) - anyone have any thoughts?
  • How do these do in the rain and snow? I know they aren't waterproof but
    • Do they provide any protection / at least in drizzles, i.e., when it's not too wet?
    • How do they do getting wet - any issues with the leather?
Thank you

If you wear a size 11.5d in dress shoes then you'd probably be fine in a size 10.5 or 11 pair of Iron Rangers. 11's would probably be safer if you can't try them on first. If your feet are wide then you could probably stick with size 11.5 and be fine unless you can find a pair in 11e. E width sizes are hard to find though.

That leather will mark up when it gets wet. If you like that rugged beatup look then they are good for that. If you want them to look clean and un-marked then a different leather would be better. You should be fine in drizzles. As long as you aren't in the wet for a very long time or stepping ankle deep into puddles your feet should stay mostly dry. The leather should handle getting wet just fine. The sole on these newer Iron Rangers has some grip to it so it should handle decently on ice/snow.

If you wear a size 11.5d in dress shoes then you'd probably be fine in a size 10.5 or 11 pair of Iron Rangers. 11's would probably be safer if you can't try them on first. If your feet are wide then you could probably stick with size 11.5 and be fine unless you can find a pair in 11e. E width sizes are hard to find though.

That leather will mark up when it gets wet. If you like that rugged beatup look then they are good for that. If you want them to look clean and un-marked then a different leather would be better. You should be fine in drizzles. As long as you aren't in the wet for a very long time or stepping ankle deep into puddles your feet should stay mostly dry. The leather should handle getting wet just fine. The sole on these newer Iron Rangers has some grip to it so it should handle decently on ice/snow.

Awesome info thank you. I plan to wear them and have no issue with a beatup look. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to be too careful on the slightly wet / drizzling type of days. Thank you again for great info.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi, Cindy, yes, I have two pairs: brown Presidents and Midnight Suede Captains. Great boots and a good buy.
Well now, I guess I can move forward to order a pair. Daniel has about 18 pairs of Redwings left that are not yet worn, but I have wanted to buy something a bit different for him. Thanks for the input!

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Already shown these boots in this thread a while back, but I figured since I was wearing them today I'd do it again. They're Red Wing 875s.

Here's the rest of my outfit (which you can also see in my new thread in the "outerwear" section of this forum):
89947268-62FF-4D08-B56F-2F49F1CE9775_zpsaeiczprh.jpg

Last edited:

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
UPDATE! for what its worth I believe I stumbled on a cure for the "can't seem to get the iron rangers to break in blues". Actually my wife heard this from somebody, the solution: pack the offending boot/boots as much as you can with wet newspaper and just let it set until the paper begins to dry. Usually that occurs in a couple days, then take out the paper and put on the boots and wear them. The offending boot is still wet but it is supple and easily shaped. Amazing how it will form to your feet/foot. I did the above (out of pure desperation) and wore them all day today, NO "ouchys" have occurred. I will wear them again tomorrow and see how the method holds up but, as of right now they feel wonderful. Fingers are crossed

Haven't visited this thread in a little while, but after 2+ years of daily beating, the Iron Rangers I have were worn out. The girl at the repair shop patiently explained to me how, due to the way the cork sole is stitched directly to the boot, things often fell apart when it was removed. She put me a new heel and a half sole topper on, and the money I saved on a full rebuild - which may or may not have been successful - I put toward a new pair. Decided to try some from the other end of the U.S. and went for a pair of White's. These are the Hathorn Hi-line loggers, an off the shelf, more budget friendly alternative to the custom fitted ones. I'm pretty rough on boots at work, but these seem like they ought to go the distance for awhile. For about the same price as the Iron Rangers they're easily twice the boot, and according to the website they're completely rebuildable. I'm looking forward to breaking these in.
7b0f840768df7796f5a1933bc7516343.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points