Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson coats - anyone?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
That was a great post above. ^^^^ :cool:

Thanks sir.

I do enjoy a Filson jacket like that you posted (mine in tan, not the elusive black) and miss it as my nephew has claimed it and he has recently taken off to college.

I too have a short list that includes the Shirt Jac . It has seemed of late when I am ready for the item, the item is not available to me. Last year I was jumping for joy as I quires one. When it arrived, I was chagrined as it was sized(cut) for the Asian market. Thank goodness they continue to be sized in Alaska fit. IMO, too many iconic outdoor clothing items have switched to a closer fit. I can layer and move in the Alaska fit. (BTW: I am a short balding guy who is not hefty.)

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello sir, I'm just a few hours south of you and get to enjoy some very similar weather as the Twin Cities. Nice collection of Filson wear, I really should make a pilgramage to the Filson shop in Minneapolis this fall. I also agree that thier prices refect thier quality, craftsmanship and long-tern durability. Seems a lot of folks in my neck of the woods can't see beyond a Carhartt (and some of the products are still ok) but there are more durable, longer lasting products out there.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hello sir, I'm just a few hours south of you and get to enjoy some very similar weather as the Twin Cities. Nice collection of Filson wear, I really should make a pilgramage to the Filson shop in Minneapolis this fall. I also agree that thier prices refect thier quality, craftsmanship and long-tern durability. Seems a lot of folks in my neck of the woods can't see beyond a Carhartt (and some of the products are still ok) but there are more durable, longer lasting products out there.

I do enjoy Carhartt rough jackets when helping out at the horse barn. The jacket stays at the barn. It is not city/suburb ready.

The Filson products are something that I have been raised with. My father and grandfather wore Filson wool jackets. Our relatives in the Northern Minn. area wear Filson. My relatives in N. Finland I have sent Filson products to wear them. Fondly we refer to the red/black Filson (same given to Pendleton jackets of similar ilk) jackets as Minnesota Tuxedos.

I too should visit the Filson store in my area. Most of my Filsons have been picked up in other stores in the US and even a couple on ebay. The Packer I lucked into and picked it up at a local used clothing store. The owner had called my office and said she got a jacket in that I should see. I happened to be nearby and stopped in to see the new Packer (tags on) that had been part of an estate sale. Lovely jacket and the price made it superb (<$150.00 US).

I look forward to seeing what you and others pick-up or showcase in the future. Best, Eric -

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Worf, it is obvious you have too much if you forgot your Filsons!

I have a charcoal Mackinaw wool vest I use for layering in the Winter and a waxed tin cloth vest I wear over a wool shirt when the temps are in the 40s or above. It is wind proof, waterproof and is warm enough for mild temps. It is just easier and more comfortable to wear the tin cloth vest instead of a jacket with mild temps.

Fie upon thee..... I'm just absent minded from the heat. Can't think about Mackinaws when I'm so hot and sweaty. :mad:

Worf

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
The Filson products are something that I have been raised with. My father and grandfather wore Filson wool jackets. Our relatives in the Northern Minn. area wear Filson. My relatives in N. Finland I have sent Filson products to wear them. Fondly we refer to the red/black Filson (same given to Pendleton jackets of similar ilk) jackets as Minnesota Tuxedos.

Someone introduce @Short Balding Guy to Filson HQ. This pull quote should be above their entranceway.

I use and abuse a Filson Ranger backpack, Original briefcase and small duffle, all in Olive. They're bomb proof to the point that I enjoy trying to hurt them. I have yet to dive into menswear, though, but you've all just given me the itch for a vest (blasted enablers, each and every one of you!).

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'll keep enabling...the vests are "cheap" compared to thier other articles of most high quality clothing. And you can wear it as an Alaskan fisherman, which truley has to be one of the toughest occupations out there. It was one of these that inspired the vest purchase last year.

MercuryMan76

New in Town
I also have the Levi's X Filson collab jackets. Actually have all three, the tan, black and green. Tan has gotten the most wear and is all broken in and beautifully dirty now. The waxed canvas definitely doesn't breathe initially and you'll get sweaty but once broken in it's really comfortable.

I rewaxed the green one last year at some point. Here's a before and after.

IMG_7083.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
WINTER IS COMING!

Filson Short Cruiser_Khaki_02.jpg

My first non-luggage/backpack Filson piece arrived today. It's the limited run Short Cruiser in Khaki from January. I couldn't find any specific info for it online, so I shot Filson's customer service department a note with a few images, and they ID'd it right away (high-five, Filson).

It is a 7 ounce dry cotton canvas, and is much lighter than I had expected — half the weight of my Gustin Waxed Trucker Jacket, and a bit less than my Pointer Brand Chore Coat.

Giddy up.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good stuff - a Filson Wool Cape Coat arrived yesterday! Just perfect. Our recent cool mornings found me doing chores and enjoying the wool jacket. It should be a fav to wear in my neck of the woods.

i-Gpr5thd-S.jpg

For those "inquiring minds," the Cape Coat is a 24 oz. herringbone gray wool. It has a double yoke and snap buttons. The Filson longer, hip length, style provides warm and weather protection that are features that I enjoy. Open pockets and snap chest pockets are well made and positioned. It is a traditional piece of "kit" for city/country use. I intend to use it for a chore jacket/coat. Trad Filson Mackinaws have the same weight wool, a harder felted surface and many more pockets (tool pocket is iconic). This jacket, to my eye, has a clean classic clean look. The jacket gives me the impression that it up to the task and should give me decades of service.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Good stuff - a Filson Wool Cape Coat arrived yesterday! Just perfect. Our recent cool mornings found me doing chores and enjoying the wool jacket. It should be a fav to wear in my neck of the woods.

i-Gpr5thd-S.jpg

For those "inquiring minds," the Cape Coat is a 24 oz. herringbone gray wool. It has a double yoke and snap buttons. The Filson longer, hip length, style provides warm and weather protection that are features that I enjoy. Open pockets and snap chest pockets are well made and positioned. It is a traditional piece of "kit" for city/country use. I intend to use it for a chore jacket/coat. Trad Filson Mackinaws have the same weight wool, a harder felted surface and many more pockets (tool pocket is iconic). This jacket, to my eye, has a clean classic clean look. The jacket gives me the impression that it up to the task and should give me decades of service.

Best, Eric -

Pairs perfectly with the Gannon in Silvermist!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I just acquired a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser and a pair of Mackinaw bibs today. I dropped the jacket at the dry cleaners on the way home to make sure it is moth free and was going to leave the bibs too, but the suspenders are sewn on at the back side and they have bridle leather tabs on them. So I had to bring them home with me. I'll rip the threads on the suspenders in the morning and then take the bibs to the cleaners sans leather. It will only take about 5 minutes to take them off and sew them back on.

The pair should make for some great cold weather gear. I may have to move back to MN to really enjoy it. Or maybe Canada.

Michael

David B West

New in Town
Filson. The best, like buying a Rolex (though now I even wear Filson/Shinola watches). If I don't have everything they have produced in the last 15 years, I'd be shocked. Well, not everything but close. I wore a Filson green wool vest all day today and it hit about 65 degrees. My double Mac is my by far #1 winter coat. Have thought about getting the double Mac with the big sheepskin collar but I'm afraid that white collar would end up not at all white. I may give it a try anyway.

Had quite the battle on eBay getting Filson's "Magnum" (the photo guys) camera bags as I didn't order them before they were discontinued. The photo backpack is now my man purse or whatever, holds my Leica plus all the other garbage I choose to pack around. Tin Cloth rocks, and it doesn't pick up dog hair like an Aussie duster. Wish I'd grabbed the trucker jacket. Have about a dozen vests, several safari jackets, many shirts....

I live in southwestern South Dakota, where the weather is tough on everything. Life is tough on everything. I have filled the pockets of Filson wool vests with nails and tools, had big game animal blood all over my double Mac (and ate well that year on bison) and our Filson bags have literally been dragged through things I'd hate to mention. We have the extra-large duffel bag, which they discontinued because if filled, it's about impossible to pick up. We've tied it over a load in the pickup and have driven thousands of miles with that thing subjected to terrible weather. Zero leaks.

Filson is the only clothing/accessories/luggage where my fiancée sees it and doesn't say a word about what it costs, she just approves. I'd agree with an earlier comment that some items are just too big, so check and recheck sizing. For sheer ability to be abused, nothing beats Filson. And if you do tear it up, just send it back and they will replace or repair it. I even have a Filson goose down vest, can't believe we ran across that in a gun shop and they were closing out their Filson garments.

This reminds me that my double Mac really should get dry cleaned. Problem is that I don't want to spare it for a couple days

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice write up there David. Just passed through your area back in June, what suprised me most about South Dakota are the Badlands areas and the presence of (many) rattlesnakes. Never would have guessed.

David B West

New in Town
Nice write up there David. Just passed through your area back in June, what suprised me most about South Dakota are the Badlands areas and the presence of (many) rattlesnakes. Never would have guessed.
The Badlands are stunning, so stark and surreal. I used to get over there early mornings just to watch how the light changes the views. I've heard about rattlesnakes being all over the place, they are supposed to be thick right where I live now, yet I've never seen one. Maybe they are all scared that I'll make them into boots and belts?
Actually, I think I'm just too noisy for them to stick around.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Just in the past few days I sourced a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser for a decent price. The double Mac is too much for virtually all of Texas.

Interesting post of the SD Badlands that I visited once a few years ago. Fascinating experience. As I recall it got its name from the Indians that lived there who said "This land is bad!"

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
OK, I'll weigh in with my meager Filson collection.
Just got an older version of the Tin Packer coat off the Bay. I'm normally a 40, but this jacket is a 38 and fits perfectly. Haven't worn it yet as it's been uncharacteristically dry here in NJ this year. I'm looking for a wool liner for this jacket. It's the old style that takes a snap in liner, not the zip in liner like is sold now. If anybody has a lead on a med or small snap in liner, lemme know. I also have a black/grey plaid Mackinaw wool vest. This thing is great and I wear it under everything. It's especially good under my leather riding jacket for fall riding. Then I have a wool lined jean jacket in brown which is probably my favorite Filson piece now. It's a Med and a perfect fit with the exception of one thing: the wrists are made for somebody with pencil thin wrists. There's no way I can snap them closed. This jacket is quite warm down to the 40's, and lower if I wear a thin wool shirt underneath. Also have a Tin Cloth duck bill baseball hat that really looks funky and is great in the rain. Finally I have 2 pieces of luggage, an older duffel bag that has been carried to the gym millions of times and is nicely broken in. It was a bit large so I finally found a smaller bag, the Sportsman's Bag which I think is discontinued now. It's great with many zippered and non zippered pockets that I now carry to the gym. Both these items are their heavy waxed twill and I have no doubt they'd survive a nuclear blast.
I'd love to get a double mac wool coat, but I don't think I'd wear it much as I have a very substantial and warm vintage Pea Coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ