Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson tin cloth pants and bibs question

andy richards

Practically Family
Gentlemen,
For hunting and working in the outdoors I need a pair of trousers to keep me protected against the elements. I have tried some overtrousers of Fjallraven and Mammut, but in the end they all got punctured by brushes or the zippers broke. My old cotton army-overtrousers are so worn out that I need a new pair.
I have set my eyes on the Filson brand. Already ordered a tin cloth Field jacket (which has not been delivered, yet) and matching hood and liner.
I am thinking of the tin cloth (double layer) pants or tin cloth bibs.

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-...valsProduct=mens/bibs-chaps&fmetaProduct=1011

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-...lsProduct=mens/pants-shorts&fmetaProduct=1011

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-...lsProduct=mens/pants-shorts&fmetaProduct=1011

Are there any of you who wear these bibs and pants? What are your experiences with these?
If I read the Filson website, the bibs are meant to wear over you normal trousers, right? And the pants are meant to wear as normal pants or are they like overpants? About sizing of the pants: My normal pants size is 34-34, but on Filsons' website there is no 34 - 34... What to choose?
Any pro's and con's of the bibs and (double layer) tin cloth pants?

Thanks,
Andy

Optionseeker

New in Town
I remember years ago, Filson's description of the double tin pants read something like 'If you don't really need them, you don't want them but if you need them, you won't want anything else'.

I don't have any experience with the pants but I do have the Tin Cruiser and it is VERY stiff and takes a lot of wearing to break in. I wouldn't want the pants next to my skin and would suggest the bibs. I think the double tin pants will actually stand up by themselves.

Cheers,
J

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks J.
I really don't care if the pants are very stiff. My guess is that it is as stiff as a horsehide jacket. The reason why I need something like Tin Cloth is that I need something what keeps me dry and well protected for my out-doors activities. Not sure if I go for the pants or bibs, though...
Thanks for your input.
Andy

rumblefish

One Too Many
Double Tin Pants

I wear them over a pair of long under wear. If it is too warm for real thermals, I'll go with a very light pair of long johns (silk), but I'll always have something between my skin and the tin cloth. I'd suggest to get a pair of suspenders for the double tin pants, don't bother with a belt. I wear a 32 waist and that's the size of the pants own. There is plenty of room for the thickest cotton underwear. Filson warns about losing a size after their cloth is washed, but since they are waxed and never washed it's not an issue.
Also get the piping done at the hem. Since these pants are so stiff and heavy, the hem will wear on your boots and become frayed. I have a pair of the Shelter Cloth brush pants and I treat them pretty much the same as the DTP, but the areas that are not waxed will soak through, so no sitting on the ground in them.
I wear the DTP always when deer hunting, no matter what the weather, and while duck hunting in big water out of a boat (if I know I wont be wading).

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks Rumblefish,
I was a bit worried about the waist sizing. In some reviews on the Filson site some people mentioned that it was too small and order one size up...
How about length? All my jeans are 34 - 34, and on the Filson site there are no 34 lengths...
Thanks for mentioning the hem and suspenders. Good idea, thanks.
Andy

sbhva

Familiar Face
Andy;

I would suggest that you wait until you have your tin cloth jacket before ordering any more pieces of it to make sure you like it. I use a pair of the tin cloth chaps over my jeans for upland bird hunting. They keep the morning dew off and turn away brush and briars while being very comfortable over the jeans. Not to mention the cost savings over the full pants.

If you are intent on full over pants or jumpsuit you may want to look at the Carhart brand. Most outdoor construction workers use the Carharts in winter around here.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I've got a closet full of Filson - just love the stuff. Whoever said, if you don't need them you won't want them said it well. They are like iron and will wear your legs raw without a base layer. Also, keep in mind none of their gear breaths well so a wicking layer is need.

I've had single tin and double tin and single is all I ever needed. The doubles are really nice but, damn they are heavy and stiff. Here in Michigan, the single tins are all I need 90% of the time. I would also recommend ordering a size up for a couple of reasons: 1.) if they are even slightly tight the waist band will dig into your skin and chafe you. 2.) if your're going to wear the hell out of them and get them wet they WILL shrink, especially in the length. I wore my double tins for a long wet weekend hunting in northern Michigan and by the time I got back home they were a full 3" shorter.

I agree with the advice you have been given so far. Wear a base layer, regardless of the tempand the bottoms will fray rather quickly. Also, their chaps are extremely practical. In fact the few times I really need to be clad in iron, I'll wear my chaps over my single tins.

As for the bibs, no thank you. I can only imagine how hot and stiff they would be.

Cheers

andy richards

Practically Family
sbhva said:
Andy;

I would suggest that you wait until you have your tin cloth jacket before ordering any more pieces of it to make sure you like it. I use a pair of the tin cloth chaps over my jeans for upland bird hunting. They keep the morning dew off and turn away brush and briars while being very comfortable over the jeans. Not to mention the cost savings over the full pants.

If you are intent on full over pants or jumpsuit you may want to look at the Carhart brand. Most outdoor construction workers use the Carharts in winter around here.

Thanks for your input, Steve.
I know there are other brands, like Carhart. My Carhart jacket is great but not for rainy weather during field trips. I think in the end I will save some money when buying a Filson pair of pants. Like I mentioned before: all the poly-ripstop-nylon-hightec-overtrousers like Mammut and Fjallraven I ever had got ruïned by brushes and during crawling through the mud. And these are more expensive than a pain of tin cloth pants.
Good idea to wait until my Field Jacket arrives.
Thanks,
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
I've got a closet full of Filson - just love the stuff. Whoever said, if you don't need them you won't want them said it well. They are like iron and will wear your legs raw without a base layer. Also, keep in mind none of their gear breaths well so a wicking layer is need.

I've had single tin and double tin and single is all I ever needed. The doubles are really nice but, damn they are heavy and stiff. Here in Michigan, the single tins are all I need 90% of the time. I would also recommend ordering a size up for a couple of reasons: 1.) if they are even slightly tight the waist band will dig into your skin and chafe you. 2.) if your're going to wear the hell out of them and get them wet they WILL shrink, especially in the length. I wore my double tins for a long wet weekend hunting in northern Michigan and by the time I got back home they were a full 3" shorter.

I agree with the advice you have been given so far. Wear a base layer, regardless of the tempand the bottoms will fray rather quickly. Also, their chaps are extremely practical. In fact the few times I really need to be clad in iron, I'll wear my chaps over my single tins.

As for the bibs, no thank you. I can only imagine how hot and stiff they would be.

Cheers

Thanks Doublegun! That really helps.
Any other FL members here have experiences with the pants or bibs?
Andy

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I have the single tin pants - I sized up from regular waist and they still fit a little snug. I wear them with long underwear or basketball shorts if it's warm. Didn't get the band on the hem - it's holding up fine for now - wish I had that bit of advice before buying.
I wear them when I know I'll be romping around off the beaten path in the woods, dirty work around the house, etc.
Whenever they wear out (which will definitely be awhile yet) I'm thinking to replace with bibs. More coverage, probably more comfortable overall.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Kyle,

Have you washed your tin pants at this point? Did the waist shrink at all? I learned that I definitely need to size up one size, but if the waist shrinks, then two sizes!

Thanks.

KyleK said:
I have the single tin pants - I sized up from regular waist and they still fit a little snug. I wear them with long underwear or basketball shorts if it's warm. Didn't get the band on the hem - it's holding up fine for now - wish I had that bit of advice before buying.
I wear them when I know I'll be romping around off the beaten path in the woods, dirty work around the house, etc.
Whenever they wear out (which will definitely be awhile yet) I'm thinking to replace with bibs. More coverage, probably more comfortable overall.

andy richards

Practically Family
According to Filsons' website, these pants shouldn't be washed at all... My guess is that the cotton used in these pants are not pre-washed and if washed it sure will shrink. Maybe just hose the pants down and brush the dirt off?
Andy

Doublegun

Practically Family
Todd V said:
Kyle,

Have you washed your tin pants at this point? Did the waist shrink at all? I learned that I definitely need to size up one size, but if the waist shrinks, then two sizes!

Thanks.

Whatever you do DO NOT wash any thing made of "tin cloth." Even the oil finish tin cloth will shrink if the oil finish is allowed to wear off or dry out. I'm talking serious shrinkage.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Sorry for any confusion. I was concerned about shrinking the waist of dry finish tin cloth pants. The catalog says "allow for moderate shrinkage" and I cannot imagine wearing dry finish tin for 20 years without washing. Gross! :eek: my experience tells me that I have to order one size up from usual. But, I'd the waist shrinks, I better go up two sizes.

Doublegun said:
Whatever you do DO NOT wash any thing made of "tin
cloth." Even the oil finish tin cloth will shrink if the oil finish is allowed to wear off or dry out. I'm talking serious shrinkage.

andy richards

Practically Family
Cleaning Filson Tin Cloth?

No confusions, mate. I was wondering myself how all Filson pants owners keep their kit maintained...
So, here is a call to all (tin-cloth) owners: How do you keep your clothes clean and maintained? That is, if you do that at all...;) .
I have some things on order so I am very interested in this.
Andy

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
andy richards said:
No confusions, mate. I was wondering myself how all Filson pants owners keep their kit maintained...
So, here is a call to all (tin-cloth) owners: How do you keep your clothes clean and maintained? That is, if you do that at all...;) .
I have some things on order so I am very interested in this.
Andy

I wear my tins over jeans (and long johns if it's cold and wet enough). As others have already said, get them a size larger. Just a once over with a hose now and again, but mother nature tends to wet them down really good wear I live. Applying more wax when it wears down in areas is required sometimes and the pants come with extra long legs, I cut off the excess and keep it for patch material. My work eats up even tin pants but they would last forever doing typical activities.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
andy richards said:
Thanks mate! Great advice.
Any chance of posting a pic of your tin cloth kit?
Andy

I'm due for a new pair this winter, my current ones are ripped to shreds. Normal wear won't do that to them but steel will.lol

budrichard

Familiar Face
Filson makes two types of 'Tin Cloth', un-oiled and Oiled.
You don't wash 'Oiled Tin Cloth' period.
Filson also makes or made all of their oiled Tin Cloth garments in 'un-oiled Tin Cloth as well.
I started out of 35 years ago with a set of double oiled Tin Cloth pants and a double Oiled Tin Cloth hunting jacket. Nothing and I mean nothing can hurt them but they are stiff. I still have them.
I switched to the same set in un-oiled Tin Cloth because it is so much more pliable and I really didn't need the added protection from water that oiled tin Cloth affords.
Filson will custom make you any garment in their line in un-oiled Tin Cloth If you ask but at a price increase. I had a shirt made in un-oiled Tin Cloth and on a cool day that is usually all I wear now for hunting. I have a number of sets of pants in double un-oiled Tin Cloth as well as a double jacket.
I much prefer the un-oiled these days and that is all I wear.-Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk