• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Fireplaces and Stoves

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by Shangas, Jun 22, 2013.

1. I didn't find a thread about this anywhere on the Lounge. If there is one already, I apologise. It didn't show up in any searches which I did.

So this will be the Lounge's resident discussion-thread about fireplaces and stoves of the wood/coal-burning variety. I'm sure I'm not the only member here who likes a nice, crackling fire. Show off your bits and pieces, your fireplaces, your fireplace kits and accessories, vintage or otherwise. Share tips, tricks and advice :)

Dad and I just finished building this:

[​IMG]

The reflective fireback behind the grate. Manufactured from stuff that we bought at the local hardware shop, and a couple of old bricks. Protects the rear brickwork, and reflects light and heat back into the living-room, significantly improving a fireplace's heating efficiency.

This is what the same fireplace looked like before:

[​IMG]

It's a simple metallic panel bolted onto a simple steel stand, weighted down with two bricks for stability.

Our fireplace setup:

[​IMG]

Fuel-bin (Back, left), fire-irons, ash-bin, bellows.

[​IMG]

2. gazelle-fireplace.jpg

20th Century Fires, here in the UK have lots of original and repro fireplaces and fittings

3. BladeOfAnduril

BladeOfAnduril One of the Regulars

Here is my fireplace. It is original to the house which was built in 1925. Located in Doylestown PA, the tiles on the fireplace are from the Moravian Tile Works located just a few blocks away. Supposedly this is the oldest Moravian tile fireplace in the county, but I've never really researched it.

IS-1ke47gmym5m59.jpg

4. Nice tiles.

5. GJ nord

GJ nord New in Town

anyone on here use a Baxi lift out system fire place? just found out we've got one after the chimeny was cleaned......never had need to clear the area out before today see.....

6. This is the wood-burning fireplace in our 1928 apartment (8th floor). I love that there was a time when apartment building were built with fireplaces.

It's all original - the brick, hearth and mantle. Also, we've been told by long-time residents, that the fireplaces were once both wood-burning and gas. The gas was shut off decades ago, but as you can see in the second picture, the nozzle for ours is still there.

[​IMG]

This is the handle to turn the gas on and off
    [​IMG]

BobHufford and Bamaboots like this.
  7. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Here is mine. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kampkatz

kampkatz Practically Family

Stearmen, what an admirable piece of workmanship. Is it all original with the house and if so what year was it built?

9. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

I was told that it was not. The lady that I bought the house from, said her husband got the mantle and the insert for free. Here's the kicker, he got the peaces one at a time. I am not lucky enough to just get one or the other and pay for it! Although, this may not be true, she was suffering from dementia, I heard from her Grandson, less then two years latter, she did not recognize him. So I really don't know for sure.

10. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

Here's my home fireplace. I also have a Moore wood stove that heats the shop out back in the Winter.
    [​IMG]

11. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

Thought it would be nice to bring this one back.

Fireplace in use:
    [​IMG]

And my wood burning stove:
    [​IMG]

3fingers and BobHufford like this.
  12. From our farm on the edge of the Mark Twain National Forest in the Missouri Ozarks.

[​IMG]

13. Our fireplace in our 1928 NCY apartment building. Many people are surprised that apartments have fireplaces, but it was quite normal prior to WWII.

IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4783.JPG

We haven't really "decorated" the apartment but have put out some things / items we like, so in case you were wondering, here's a close up of one of our favorite items on the mantel. A (we think) late '20s toy iron car.
    IMG_4787.JPG

vitanola and BobHufford like this.