Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fireplaces and Stoves

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I didn't find a thread about this anywhere on the Lounge. If there is one already, I apologise. It didn't show up in any searches which I did.

So this will be the Lounge's resident discussion-thread about fireplaces and stoves of the wood/coal-burning variety. I'm sure I'm not the only member here who likes a nice, crackling fire. Show off your bits and pieces, your fireplaces, your fireplace kits and accessories, vintage or otherwise. Share tips, tricks and advice :)

Dad and I just finished building this:

The reflective fireback behind the grate. Manufactured from stuff that we bought at the local hardware shop, and a couple of old bricks. Protects the rear brickwork, and reflects light and heat back into the living-room, significantly improving a fireplace's heating efficiency.

This is what the same fireplace looked like before:

It's a simple metallic panel bolted onto a simple steel stand, weighted down with two bricks for stability.

Our fireplace setup:

Fuel-bin (Back, left), fire-irons, ash-bin, bellows.

Albert.Tatlock

Familiar Face
gazelle-fireplace.jpg

20th Century Fires, here in the UK have lots of original and repro fireplaces and fittings

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Here is my fireplace. It is original to the house which was built in 1925. Located in Doylestown PA, the tiles on the fireplace are from the Moravian Tile Works located just a few blocks away. Supposedly this is the oldest Moravian tile fireplace in the county, but I've never really researched it.

IS-1ke47gmym5m59.jpg

GJ nord

Familiar Face
anyone on here use a Baxi lift out system fire place? just found out we've got one after the chimeny was cleaned......never had need to clear the area out before today see.....

This is the wood-burning fireplace in our 1928 apartment (8th floor). I love that there was a time when apartment building were built with fireplaces.

It's all original - the brick, hearth and mantle. Also, we've been told by long-time residents, that the fireplaces were once both wood-burning and gas. The gas was shut off decades ago, but as you can see in the second picture, the nozzle for ours is still there.

This is the handle to turn the gas on and off

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I was told that it was not. The lady that I bought the house from, said her husband got the mantle and the insert for free. Here's the kicker, he got the peaces one at a time. I am not lucky enough to just get one or the other and pay for it! Although, this may not be true, she was suffering from dementia, I heard from her Grandson, less then two years latter, she did not recognize him. So I really don't know for sure.

Our fireplace in our 1928 NCY apartment building. Many people are surprised that apartments have fireplaces, but it was quite normal prior to WWII.

IMG_4785.JPG
IMG_4783.JPG

We haven't really "decorated" the apartment but have put out some things / items we like, so in case you were wondering, here's a close up of one of our favorite items on the mantel. A (we think) late '20s toy iron car.
IMG_4787.JPG

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Family and homemade stuff. I built the mantle in my wood shop. Jackie took the photo hanging above it. The Remington model 1889 was my maternal great grandfather’s. The pocket watches belonged to my father and great grandfather. The jugs, churns and plates are antique North Carolina pottery, mostly from the Brown, Cole and Owens families in the Seagrove area.

8333ED78-AB18-4DC8-B72B-3B67BBCFEF71.jpeg

AF

Bugguy

Practically Family
I picked up this reconditioned stove for my basement in Wisconsin. I had a poured concrete foundation wall behind it, and put up metal studs and cement backerboard behind and below. I found the metal sheets from a site in St. Louis(?) that has the original dies. It's vented straight through and goes up through the same chase as my upstairs fireplace. I even had recessed ceiling spots to highlight it. I wanted this to be a memorable feature of the walkout basement.

100_1559 2.jpg

Bugguy

Practically Family
Well, here's this weekend's Nashville flea market find:

Tennessee Stove Works, Chattanooga No. 413... 33" H X 13" W. I like it because it's small. The metals in good shape and it still has the mica ports. Seller said it was from a caboose - could be, but I'm having a hard time finding vintage coal/wood stove documents on-line for the company. I'm soaking the screws with penetrating oil so I have a small chance of getting them out without drilling. Then its off to be blasted to clean it up.

All great fun!

IMG_0106.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112