Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero - Modified Board Racer - Dark Seal Vicenza … Arrived in China!

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
Hello All,

This is my first Aero jacket, and my first post on this forum. I referenced The Fedora Lounge a lot when deciding on my Aero, so figured I’d make my contribution.

I currently live and work in China, so I initially contacted the Aero dealers in-country here. They carried no stock and said there was a 3-month waiting period, and actually told me it was cheaper and faster to order from the shops in the US and Canada. I then contacted the dealers there, and ended up finding it would be cheaper and faster to order directly from Aero in Scotland.

So, I ended up corresponding a lot with Holly at Aero (about 30 emails back and forth) before making my final decision. I’m a bit slim and wear slimmer fitting clothing (I’m 5’10” and 155 lbs), so I ultimately decided on the Board Racer…the Cafe Racer was too boxy, and my female counterpart argued that the 1930s Half-Belt, Highwayman, Dustbowl, and Sunburst all looked “too old”.

I live in the South of China which has a humid and moderately cold winter, and I wanted a jacket that would be warm enough that I didn’t have to layer it … thus, I ended up choosing the Alpaca lining. I have another leather jacket that weighs 1.7 kg (3.75 lbs), and I find that to be a bit on the heavy side, and I wanted something lighter. Holly strongly recommended I avoid the CXFQHH as it is quite heavy, and recommended I go with the lighter-weight Vicenza leather. So, I did, and ended up going with the Dark Seal Vicenza.

When it came to the sizing, I corresponded a lot with Holly and sent her several fit pics and measurements of other leather jackets that I have. She said for a Board Racer, a 38 would be very slim fitting, and a 40 would have a more relaxed fit. I figured I’d likely gain weight rather than lose it over the next 5-10 years, so I opted for the larger size. Also, I commonly find that most off-the-rack shirts and jackets have sleeves that are too short for my liking, and the pics of other people wearing their Board Racers appeared to have sleeves that were a bit too short too, so I requested that extra width be added to the shoulders and another .75” be added to the sleeves.

Here are my measurements:

Height 178 cm – 5’ 10”
Weight 71kg – 155 lbs
Relaxed Chest 96cm – 38”
Expanded Chest 98cm – 38.75”
Stomach 78cm – 30.75”
Waist 82cm – 32.25”

Here was my actual order:

Board Racer
Size: 40"
Pit to pit 21”
Shoulders 17.5” (I request for them to be made a little wider, if you can)
Sleeves 25.75”
Back 26.25”
Waist: 19.5” at it’s narrowest and 19.75” at the bottom hem

Leather colour: Dark Seal Vicenza
Lining: Gray Alpaca
Zippers: Antique Brass
Windflap: No Windflap

I ordered the jacket in mid-September, and it was amazingly ready to be shipped in 4 weeks. I strongly requested that the jacket be shipped to China via DHL, as it is often the fastest and most reliable courier for imports to China in my experience (it usually takes other couriers 4-6 weeks to go through shipping and customs). But, Aero claimed that DHL shipments always got returned to them when shipping to China, so they shipped it via ParcelForce. I was quite worried about that, so I watched the tracking on the shipment very closely. It made it from Scotland to China in 4 days, and then spent another 7 days lost in the China EMS (Express Mail Service) before making its way to me. I have zero complaints, however, as this shipment didn't get charged by customs, and the customs tax on an item like this in China is officially 30%. Phew!
01.jpg
02.jpg
WechatIMG28.jpeg
WechatIMG29.jpeg
WechatIMG35.jpeg
WechatIMG25.jpeg
WechatIMG26.jpeg
WechatIMG27.jpeg

A few notes upon receiving this item and trying it on for the first time:

• I’m REALLY glad I got the extra shoulder and sleeve length. I would not want it to be any tighter in the shoulders, or any shorter in the sleeves. It fits perfectly, and is exactly as I ordered, so hats off to Holly!
  • The Alpaca lining is a little itchy, but I can’t feel it through my undershirt and dress shirt. The lining is only in the body, not the sleeves.
  • The jacket weighs 1.8kg (4lbs). It has some weight, but actually feels rather light for a leather jacket.
  • The style looks a bit short, especially with an untucked shirt, but I knew that when I ordered it. No worries, just gotta tuck in the shirt.
  • I keep reaching to put my hands in the non-existent pockets, because my other leather jackets do have pockets. I’ll just have to get used to that. I also knew that when I ordered it.

Hope this helps some others out there making a similar order!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge! You did very well for a first Aero jacket, it takes most of us much longer and more jackets to figure out one's individual best measurements but your BR fits very nicely! Don't worry about the body length, it has a very cool and casual, laid-back look to it when worn over a longer shirt or a sweater if you don't wanna tuck in and go for the more formal look. Congratulations and best of luck dealing with the addiction to come.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
I'm more of a black leather guy but damn that dark seal is nice! Good call on the 40, looks great...

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello All,

This is my first Aero jacket, and my first post on this forum. I referenced The Fedora Lounge a lot when deciding on my Aero, so figured I’d make my contribution.

I currently live and work in China, so I initially contacted the Aero dealers in-country here. They carried no stock and said there was a 3-month waiting period, and actually told me it was cheaper and faster to order from the shops in the US and Canada. I then contacted the dealers there, and ended up finding it would be cheaper and faster to order directly from Aero in Scotland.

So, I ended up corresponding a lot with Holly at Aero (about 30 emails back and forth) before making my final decision. I’m a bit slim and wear slimmer fitting clothing (I’m 5’10” and 155 lbs), so I ultimately decided on the Board Racer…the Cafe Racer was too boxy, and my female counterpart argued that the 1930s Half-Belt, Highwayman, Dustbowl, and Sunburst all looked “too old”.

I live in the South of China which has a humid and moderately cold winter, and I wanted a jacket that would be warm enough that I didn’t have to layer it … thus, I ended up choosing the Alpaca lining. I have another leather jacket that weighs 1.7 kg (3.75 lbs), and I find that to be a bit on the heavy side, and I wanted something lighter. Holly strongly recommended I avoid the CXFQHH as it is quite heavy, and recommended I go with the lighter-weight Vicenza leather. So, I did, and ended up going with the Dark Seal Vicenza.

When it came to the sizing, I corresponded a lot with Holly and sent her several fit pics and measurements of other leather jackets that I have. She said for a Board Racer, a 38 would be very slim fitting, and a 40 would have a more relaxed fit. I figured I’d likely gain weight rather than lose it over the next 5-10 years, so I opted for the larger size. Also, I commonly find that most off-the-rack shirts and jackets have sleeves that are too short for my liking, and the pics of other people wearing their Board Racers appeared to have sleeves that were a bit too short too, so I requested that extra width be added to the shoulders and another .75” be added to the sleeves.

Here are my measurements:

Height 178 cm – 5’ 10”
Weight 71kg – 155 lbs
Relaxed Chest 96cm – 38”
Expanded Chest 98cm – 38.75”
Stomach 78cm – 30.75”
Waist 82cm – 32.25”

Here was my actual order:

Board Racer
Size: 40"
Pit to pit 21”
Shoulders 17.5” (I request for them to be made a little wider, if you can)
Sleeves 25.75”
Back 26.25”
Waist: 19.5” at it’s narrowest and 19.75” at the bottom hem

Leather colour: Dark Seal Vicenza
Lining: Gray Alpaca
Zippers: Antique Brass
Windflap: No Windflap

I ordered the jacket in mid-September, and it was amazingly ready to be shipped in 4 weeks. I strongly requested that the jacket be shipped to China via DHL, as it is often the fastest and most reliable courier for imports to China in my experience (it usually takes other couriers 4-6 weeks to go through shipping and customs). But, Aero claimed that DHL shipments always got returned to them when shipping to China, so they shipped it via ParcelForce. I was quite worried about that, so I watched the tracking on the shipment very closely. It made it from Scotland to China in 4 days, and then spent another 7 days lost in the China EMS (Express Mail Service) before making its way to me. I have zero complaints, however, as this shipment didn't get charged by customs, and the customs tax on an item like this in China is officially 30%. Phew! View attachment 90724 View attachment 90725 View attachment 90726 View attachment 90727 View attachment 90728 View attachment 90729 View attachment 90730 View attachment 90731

A few notes upon receiving this item and trying it on for the first time:

• I’m REALLY glad I got the extra shoulder and sleeve length. I would not want it to be any tighter in the shoulders, or any shorter in the sleeves. It fits perfectly, and is exactly as I ordered, so hats off to Holly!
  • The Alpaca lining is a little itchy, but I can’t feel it through my undershirt and dress shirt. The lining is only in the body, not the sleeves.
  • The jacket weighs 1.8kg (4lbs). It has some weight, but actually feels rather light for a leather jacket.
  • The style looks a bit short, especially with an untucked shirt, but I knew that when I ordered it. No worries, just gotta tuck in the shirt.
  • I keep reaching to put my hands in the non-existent pockets, because my other leather jackets do have pockets. I’ll just have to get used to that. I also knew that when I ordered it.

Hope this helps some others out there making a similar order!

That is a completely awesome jacket. A huge win. Fits extremely well and is very much the "look" many people only wish their physiques could pull off. Congratulations! Enjoy.

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
Congratulations! Very beautiful jacket, I am also prepared to buy my first Aero jacket, I am a Chinese from Harbin in northeast China, in fact in China to buy a AERO jacket is very difficult,I hope I can be as successful as you!

Hi Frank,

Yeah, it was a bit of a pain getting the jacket to China. Remember to be prepared to pay up to 30% in customs taxes! If you're really having trouble with doing the transaction from China, you can do it through the Ozzy Leather shop or Vintage N & S shop on Taobao. They're official stockists for Aero in China. I recently wrote a thread on leather jackets in China and mentioned that http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...aobao-vintage-and-custom-leather-shops.92795/

My Aero was just fine in the autumn, but it is not nearly warm enough for the winter. I haven't used it at all in January or February this year, and I live in the south of China. If I lived in Harbin (the "Ice City"), that would give me an excuse to get one of the shearling-lined jackets from Aero, like the B3 or something similar!

Anyways, good luck with your Aero and enjoy!

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
Wait!!

You can ask for wider shoulders on a BR? When did that happen?

Do you mind tell us what they actually measure at please?

Mine measures 18", so they were able to add an extra 1/2". Every time I consult with Holly about another Aero jacket, I always ask If I could/should get more width in the shoulders. It seems to be possible on many of their models. Ask Holly though!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi guys,

We have been in contact with Aero this morning with regards to the request for widening the shoulders on Aero patterns, since this would have been a new offering from the factory. As confirmed by Denny, it is not the case that the shoulders can be widened on Aero patterns.

There is a small amount of variation in measurements from jacket to jacket in the same size/style. Many things can affect the numbers on any given pattern--leather thickness, leather stiffness, leather stretchiness, etc. While the actual measurement variation is within normal tolerance, the feel of the fit is affected a lot by the leather itself. The same size jacket, made in a different leather, can feel smaller or larger to the wearer.

Regarding the size 40 Board Racer shoulders--the average numbers for a size 40 BR is about 17.75 inches. We've measured every single Board Racer that has come through our shop since this style was introduced and we've found that the jackets made in CXL lean toward 17.5 inches and the ones made in Vicenza lean toward 18 inches. This isn't a given--it's more of a tendency.

Hope this clarifies things!

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
HI THEJUNIPER,
"Leather Jackets in China: the Fabric Markets, Taobao, Vintage, and the Custom Leather Shops" is a great thread, can let more people to understand Leather Jackets in China, I am very very admire you, I have strikingly similar experience with you, I was before I meet you and AERO Leather ,I wants to buy an A2 Jacket, I find on Taobao for A long time, also visited A Tired Child, RISK RIDER and so on, and then from the TFL found after AERO was fascinated by it,Then through bbs.33oz.com, I learned that Vintage by N&S, Ozzy Leather, and Back to the Original (in TaiWan), because immediately to the Spring Festival, Vintage by N&S and Back to the Original is not very enthusiastic,I carried the things of the reputable custom brands to Aero, Schott, and Vanson,too!And about'size, Leather and style of Aero jacket, this is a very great shop, a very experienced the boss, but relative to the other two stores may need to pay extra for postage (RMB 600)。
. I have communicated through E-mail and THURSTON - BROS, it's all in store, if not considering the uncontrollable 30% Customs fees me almost to the custom there, because they provide a fit jacket, (I'm too fat 183 cm, 120 kg, so I was almost on the XIANYU it is hard to find a suitable for my jacket).
After the Spring Festival,I will get started with an order -- a AERO HIGHWAY jacket,from TAOBAO,and OZZY is highly likely because it is more professional (though it pays an extra 600 to 800 RMB).Vintage by N&S for jacket size seems to be not very accurate, it makes me a little worried。Back To Original (in TaiWan),but recently they seem to be on holiday, who knows? Let's talk about it at that time.
In Harbin, it is only possible to wear leather clothes from April to may and November to December every year, but he doesn't affect my love of Leather.
Finally, I am very happy to meet you, and you are always welcome to come to Harbin for vacation. My English is not good, so I write these all by the YOUDAO translation APP, I hope you can understand.Best Wishes!

Hi Frank,

Yeah, I'm used to reading translated text all the time, so no worries. Ozzy did seem the most promising of all the shops I found in China. Working directly with Aero is also a good option. Good luck on your Aero order!

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
You’ve achieved a really great fit!

I hope to do the same while currently discussing my BR with Aero.

May I ask you how you have determined the jacket measurements? Have they been proposed by Aero (based on your body measurements) or have they been specified by yourself?

If the later, what for a translation you have used (body measurements —> jacket measurements)?

Any thoughts about the vertical seam? Does it bothers you while sitting in a chair / leaning against the backrest?

非常感谢。

Hi GoAround,

Aero does have instructions on how to take your measurements: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/sizing.php

What they needed for my body measurements were the following:
Height
Weight
Relaxed Chest
Expanded Chest
Stomach
Waist

If you can, go to a tailor shop or a professional clothing repair/cleaning shop and have them take the measurements.

It's also a good idea to give Aero some pictures of you in a "fit jacket". Find some leather jackets that fit you well, and take the measurements of the jacket:

Armpit to Armpit
Shoulders
Sleeves
Back Length
Waist

Then take several pictures of yourself wearing the jacket.

Send all of that information to Aero and have them advise you on the sizing.

Remember, Aero deals with online orders like this every day. They are good at sizing people over the internet. But make sure you give them a lot of accurate information, and let them know exactly what you want!

As for the back seam ... I don't feel it at all.

One piece of advice for you, though ... the sleeves will wrinkle and shrink with wear. I wish I would have added 1.5" to the sleeves on my Board Racer. I like my sleeves to cover my wrists when I'm riding a bike.

Enjoy the journey to getting your Aero!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk