Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need hat advice

Natekirk

New in Town
Hello everyone, first I just want to say my name's Nathan, I'm new to the forum. I've wound up here many times while researching various things on google so I figured I should join.
Anyway I need some advice.

I work as a landscaper here in Michigan, and I've found that a wide brimmed hat is an essential piece of equipment. My Stetson airway died last season so I'm now in the market for a new hat. I'd like to get something more durable than straw, and have been looking into the more quality cowboy hats made of beaver felt, but I don't want to invest in one if it's just going to meet the same fate as my airway. I need a real hat that can handle the work of a real cowboy.

So what I'm really asking is this:
-Will a quality beaver felt hat hold up to the sun, rain, dirt and dust for 7-9 months of the year? If so, then for how many years can it be expected to do so?

-Are there any hatmakers that I should lean to or avoid? I was looking into Knudsen Hat co. but I've seen postings from others that say their customer service is terrible.

I suppose I could do some testing on the 8x Stetson centennial that I wore in my teens, but I'm hesitant to potentially destroy a perfectly good hat. I'm also aware that I could just keep buying more cheap hats, but I hate disposable items. I'm willing to pay for quality so long as the hat can do it's job for several years.

For those that help, thank you so much, and sorry about the long post!:oops:

Natekirk

New in Town
Akubra uses rabbit felt correct? Is there any advantages or disadvantages to rabbit over beaver?

Yep, I think they represent the best value in hats right now. And they have a great selection of styles that would suit as a working man's hat. Even if you pay a little extra from Hats Direct (they have stock and ship quickly) it is still great value.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Make it a foursome.
I'm outside a good portion of the time and Akubras have been my "everyday" hats for some years now.
I like their hemp hats during warmer weather, as well.

tommyK

One Too Many
Is there any advantages or disadvantages to rabbit over beaver?

In theory the Beaver would take the elements better, however they are also much more expensive. Usually more than you'd want to spend on a hat that you will sweat in and beat up. For $83 you could get a new Akubra every year

Beaver makes a "superior" felt to rabbit but they are both excellent. If you are into Western hats and willing to shop The Ebay look for a hat made of Nutria felt (a rodent!). They are not readily available but at one time they were the go to felt for working man's western hats. Highly impervious to the elements. If you buy an Akubra rabbit you will get many years of use and certainly get value for your money.

Duper

Practically Family
Well broad brimmed and outside work. I am wondering if something with grommets would help with the summer heat. How about their most famous Akubra Cattleman. Just about every colour under the Sun. No pun intended. If you wanted a slightly different crown shape again with grommets you could look at the Tablelands. Both of these hats offer over a 3 inch downturned brim to maximize your Sun protection.

,,,Mike In Canada

Duper

Practically Family
get yourself an Akubra Bushman and a Campdraft and alternate every few days and you will be set for years

great work hats that will take a beating and look better for it

The idea of combining shipping for multiple hats is very wise if ordering from Australia! With the current strength of your dollar you are sitting in a nice spot.

,,,Mike in Canada

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
There are a few Akubra hat models, such as the Bushman, that are only sold by U.S.A. retailers.
They can be purchased from David Morgan, Kakadu Trader, and The Cultured Cowboy.

Everything Australian will throw in a free chin strap if you buy an Akubra hat from them with vents, but you have to ask them for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112