Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First hats, I think I may have bought too many

French

Familiar Face
Hi,

I just returned from a shopping trip to Del Monico Hatters in New Haven, CT. While I really wanted the $185 Borsalino, I settled for the Bailey Kessler Felt Hat. This is a wool felt hat, but it felt good on the head, and looks pretty sharp as well.

I'll post a picture of mine when I get the chance, but here is a link to the picture at Del Monico's

http://delmonicohatter.com/plugins/MivaMerchants/graphics/00000001/Bailey-Kessler-AW07-225X.gif

I have to compliment the staff, they were patient with me and took the time to explain the differences between the wool felt and fur felt, pointing out the Borsalino is the "Mercedes" and a lot of the other fur felts were almost as good. The gentleman who helped me was pretty certain I would become a familiar face at the shop, and I think he is probably right.

French

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Congratulations! Good choice for a first lid. And, yes, more than likely, you will be going back again...and again...and again... One hat? Naaahh.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wait till you make your first bid on Ebay for a hat! Wait till you win one! I just got my first Ebay hat and I guarantee you, the collection will continue to expand! Now I check at every vintage store to see what hats they have. A fine madness.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice 1st hat French....

dhermann1 said:
Wait till you make your first bid on Ebay for a hat! Wait till you win one! I just got my first Ebay hat and I guarantee you, the collection will continue to expand! Now I check at every vintage store to see what hats they have. A fine madness.
Oh boy did he say a Mouthful.....:D

How true.....lol

10Seconds

New in Town
Another new guy, just got my first hat today.

Well to be more precise, I got my first dress hat today, a Royal Stetson grey fedora. I also just bought a black Dobbs Twenty and and brown Cavanagh off eBay but dont have those yet. Just came across this forum earlier when trying to research vintage hat care so I figured I would introduce myself and say thanks for the help, even if as of yet unbeknownst to you. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

fedoracentric

Banned
Three is a good start and a 20 is usually a fine hat. Welcome to the world of hats.... but be warned. Hats are like potato chips, around here. You can't have just one... or two... or only three.

10Seconds

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome. For daily storage is a hook or hat tree ok? Keeping it in the box all the time doesnt seem really practical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

oak1971

Familiar Face
new guy, old hats

Picked up a never worn cavenaugh bowler, dobbs derby and stevens fedora off ebay. All in excellent shape. Also my first hats.

oak1971

Familiar Face
and this...

Dobbs

dobbsblue_zps65b66bdd.jpg

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Just picked up my first brimmed hat, an open crown Squatter model from Everything Australian. Originally wanted a Bogart in black but there was a 2 wk delay getting my size, so I went with dark grey Squatter instead. This was my first time bashing / creasing a hat so Im looking for some feedback on how to improve. Also hoping you guys can suggest a different bash style that might suit the Squatter better. Im trying to wear this casually and I think the current bash I did looks to formal.
IMG_5093.JPG
IMG_5095.JPG
IMG_5094.JPG
IMG_5093.JPG
IMG_5095.JPG
IMG_5094.JPG

Just picked up my first brimmed hat, an open crown Squatter model from Everything Australian. Originally wanted a Bogart in black but there was a 2 wk delay getting my size, so I went with dark grey Squatter instead. This was my first time bashing / creasing a hat so Im looking for some feedback on how to improve. Also hoping you guys can suggest a different bash style that might suit the Squatter better. Im trying to wear this casually and I think the current bash I did looks to formal. View attachment 67238 View attachment 67239 View attachment 67240 View attachment 67238 View attachment 67239 View attachment 67240
Super job on the bash.....don't look like afirst timer's bash to me! I think it suits the hat very well. If you want to play give it a straight centre dent and play with the pinches. To me the centre dent is a little more casual. But either way it suits the hat. I think the formality comes in to play with the wearer...is your attitude casual or formal. I just wear my hats and let other people form their opinion, if they want.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Maybe it was beginners luck, but Im still not sold on the bash I did. I think the brim definitely needs some curving / shaping. But in my rookie opinion, the Squatter gives you plenty of crown height and brim to work with. Almost like it needs the shaping to take up material, otherwise it's too large if worn straight out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points