Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

Dav

One Too Many
Hello Jonathon
I've got three of them black, grey/green and grey, the grey/green is the heaviest, not sure why. No, I didn't ask for any specific wool, I just took them how they came, to be honest I don't know much about wool I just liked the jumpers. I'm sure Peter would give you some advice if you get in contact.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I ordered one from Peter a while back. It was a denim blue color with a turtleneck (a polo neck in the UK?) and turn back cuffs. Great product and great service. Once you contact him, he will send you a pic with the colors available.

Sweaterguy

New in Town
hi nick
thanks for the reply. l like the jumpers as well. will speak to the guy there. would like to get one in a kind of hairy natural wool.
maybe the grey/green is the heaviest because its a mixture of two wools.
did you post pictures of the grey one?

Dav

One Too Many
Here you go, not the best pic I'm afraid.

IMG_1616-1.jpg

Last edited:

Sweaterguy

New in Town
Thanks alot Nick. Pic is fine. Looks great. Might have to get one in both colours. Grey is just as nice as the black.
Might also check out the rollneck option.
Can never have too many sweaters in this country.

Regards

Jonathan

Dav

One Too Many
The Grey is a much rougher/hairier wool than the black which is way softer and I think warmer. The grey/green is sort of between the two in texture but the thickest and warmest. They are all buggers to get dry when you wash 'em though! ;)

Sweaterguy

New in Town
l think they might do an undyed natural wool which will be what l want. Rougher and hairier. the black one does look warm. probably dont need a jacket with that one. they are all a good fit so you got the sizing right. might order mine abit larger than my size.
Drying is a pain with all the thick wool sweaters. Hate it when they are dried too hot and go matted though so tend to put mine outside or somewhere cool.

Sweaterguy

New in Town
Thanks for all your help and info Nick.
Looks like you have a great collection of jackets too. l have a few of the Schott brand jackets.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
They are totally worth it. Ask Peter what colours they have. When I bought mine they had some nice colours that weren't mentioned on the website.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I remeber my grand dad and my uncles always wearing this dark blue fishermans sweather when I was young and lived in a small village, called Lyngby at the heath of the north of Jutland, only 2 kilometres away from the coast of the Northsea.
It is a very rough and wild country up there, and my dad and mom...especially my mom realized soon that this was not the place to grow up a kid, being part of a fishing boat at 45 ton, in which my dad, his 3 brothers, and grand dad had shares - but were making very little money, so we ended up moving to Copenhagen as the only part of the family.

On the local cemetary lies 16 family members through time, - lost to the Northsea doing their job as fishermen.
esbjerg2.jpg
[/IMG]
I have literally never seen my grand dad and my uncles without wearing this special piece of clothes, and I often wondered if they ever had a replacement sweater to wear when wet and dirty, but they must have had though, but the smell of fish and saltwater was immense sometimes.

Finding this place on Fedora lounge have brought back many memories, and finding the company that provided these sweathers still continues doing so, made me order one yesterday.
I haven`t yet received the sweather, so I am posting some commercial photos from the SNS company site, to show they look like.
I find that the sweaters from this company has a lot of stories to tell, if they could.

S. N. S. Herning
The registered trademark S. N. S. HERNING was founded in 1931 by Søren Nielsen Skyt (1899- 1972) in Herning, Denmark. As a young man, he made a living by selling knitted garments of his own making. In the mid1920'es, he learned about a technique of knitting with "bobble" patterns that increased the insulating abilities of garments.

Relying on these techniques, he began manufacturing the so-called FISHERMAN sweater, which was intended to protect its wearer from the rough weather at sea, and to be robust enough to withstand the wear and tear from the hard work.

All their FISHERMAN sweaters are still being knitted at the knitting factory in Herning - after the same recipe as that of Søren Nielsen Skyt - with strict rules for the layout of the bobble pattern, the cut, the measurements, and the finishing etc. Something about the design and feel of this garment makes them shy away from making even the slightest of changes to it.

Eighty years have passed since the release of their first FISHERMAN sweater. Even if the production has had its highs and lows, they never stopped knitting it. And to this day, the FISHERMAN sweater remains at the core of the entire production of knit-wear.

[IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/alsendk/snsfiskertrje
[IMG][IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/alsendk/sns-herning-fisher-man-pull-22.jpg[/IMG].jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
snsmaskiner.png
[/IMG]
snsmaskinerstor.png
[/IMG]
gamlefiskeskippere.png
[/IMG]
skippertrjesns.jpg
[/IMG]
snsfiskertrje.jpg
[/IMG]
sns-herning7.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Sweaterguy

New in Town
yeah, the weather has been typically british. weeks of rain and then last week seriously hot and humid. hail and thunder storms today.
havent got tickets for any of the games but judging by the tv coverage, there are alot of empty seats.
what did you think of the opening ceremony?

Sweaterguy

New in Town
l thought it was amazing. some stuff was abit hard to fathom but overall great. didnt like the 'lost mobile phone' sketch. bit lame.
bbc coverage wasnt the best so l think we missed alot on tv.
good old Queen for joining in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112