Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Jackets for dummies...please skool me...

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I'd like to put in my plug for LL Bean. I have worn my 46 goatskin A2 for 20+ years and I receive compliments on the patina. I don't exactly sport a military-cut figure but I get satisfaction out of wearing a legendary jacket that I could replace from ebay for $100.
If you catch the "fever" (possibly from hanging around TFL) you can always upgrade. If that happens, price is only one factor as you are dealing in art, history, aesthetics, the kind of person you identify with - which sometimes manifests as brand loyalty or style preference, to name just a few such factors. Sometimes being a "dummy" is simpler. How many units of agony have been expressed over whether to buy, not buy, or should have bought by TFL jacket afficionados? This is also the fun of it! Good luck.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for hijacking the thread. By the title it looked like a good spot for a newbie to pose a question. I'll delete and try to find an Avirex thread.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charlton Heston's "1950s civilian flight jacket", very interesting to see that in this 1954 movie, when the jacket was a contemporary production, looks pretty much the same as how these brown horsehide/steerhide jacket look today!
Read more: http://www.daily upload_2018-2-17_17-59-38.png

pjman

Familiar Face
...I AM THE DUMMY!

I looked for a thread about this and didn't find one, so here goes...

I want a leather flight jacket. I want to be like other cool kids on this site. Not so much vintage but just for everyday wear.

I have read that the old ones fight tight. Well, I'm a fat bald old guy who wants one that will comfortably fit my overweight self (5' 9", 250 lbs).

My questions are:

1. I've been looking at A-2's...is this what I want? Other options, if any?
2. Do I want cow hide, goat skin or other? What are the pro's and con's of the different leather options?
3. Do contemporary flight jackets fit tight or loose? Do I order my true size or should I order one large/small?
4. I am on a budget. I can't afford a $400 jacket, and I'm hoping to stay at $250 or so. What is the minimum cost of entry for a nice flight jacket for everyday use?
5. I see Coopers on eBay in the price range I'm looking at, but I don't see anything under about $400 for sale on this site. Is Cooper junk or something? What brands are best in my price range and is Cooper A-2 a quality jacket?

Thanks for looking and for any help you can provide.

Have a blessed day! :)

Hi, Addison -

I'd like to suggest you get an A-2 jacket from What Price Glory, for $155. They make XX Large sizes, too. I have one of these jackets, and firth money, they are pretty darn good. Here's a link: http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/6787-US-A-2-LEATHER-FLIGHT-JACKET-2018-RUN/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk