Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flinders Street to be Renovated/Restored? Maybe...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Flinders Street Station is in the news.

Again.

Where we'll be told that it will be renovated and restored to its former, Victorian glory.

Again.

And that it will form a new cultural hub in the "world's most livable city".

Again.

1779114_1409926025932546_612106094_n.jpg

I took this photograph a year or two ago during the annual "White Night" event. That's Flinders Street Station (big Victorian railroad thingy) in the background, with the dome and clock tower).

Enjoy it while you can. It may not be around much longer.

http://www.domain.com.au/news/flind...ourne-needs-a-brave-solution-20160224-gn260v/

I have lived in Melbourne 30 years almost. I've never seen that station get so much as a clean window. I am HIGHLY skeptical of this article that it's going to be restored.

They churn out another one of these every five years, and then we all sit and wait to see absolutely nothing happen. And then wait for the change of government, and the next announcement of no work...to be replaced by the next one...and the one after that... and five years later, another one...

I've lost count of how many of these things I've read over the years. I'll believe it when i see the scaffolding go up.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Ha! I still have a hat from City Hatters! Truly, you Aussies have nicer Central Business District renovations than anything we see in most of the US. As long as an area has no alternative to being modernized and re-purposed that technique I saw all over Oz of using the old building as the bottom floor of a skyscraper is very cool. Just the fact that you are willing to call an area a CBD indicates that it is intended to still have life. Here we let all fall to ruin then flatten it and start again.

I will keep my fingers crossed for Flinders.

I was there in 2014, and marveled at Flinders Street Station. Even caught a train from there. It is a super cool structure. I hope it gets the attention that it deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21