Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Has anyone ever heard of Motorcowboy.com? They make a pair of 36' pattern boots. I even owned a pair up until last year when I sold them. I bought one of their first-run protoypes for around 260.00 I believe and it did have issues. The uppers did not have quite the right shape to them, the buckle was just plain wrong, and the sheepskin lining was ORANGE. The outside leather was extremely thick as well, I probobly wore the things for a month straight and they still didnt come close to being broken in. They did have the correct long "vamp" though. Now this was several years ago, those boots now cost somewhewre in the range of 560 bucks and I would hope they have done some revisions for the better.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
OK guys, I'm getting annoyed now. First you give me Jacket Envy and
now here I am with Boot Envy. Where is it all going to end........

Saw these on ebay though, thought they looked rather good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-RAF-1943-...yZ112473QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can I ask Spitfire how he finds his Aero's for width. I have very wide feet, I
did ask Aero and they told me a size 11 is 4.5 inches at the widest point. But
that is not necessarily helpful.... maybe if I drew round my feet and sent them that?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Ethanedwards.
Don't know if I have narrow or wide feet[huh] But they fits perfectly and are even "roomy".

P.S. Like your avatar by the way - I' ve used it too at some stage here:)

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Thanks Spitfire. I reckon if you had wide feet you'd know it though - nothing ever fits me, new or old - oh well, there's always the jackets!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Why not give Aero a call? They are very helpfull and serviceoriented, and might give you a measure to judge from. Or you could make a drawing of you foot and mail to them. I am almost sure you could work something out together. Best of luck.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just to let you know Ethan. WPG have some 1936 Pattern repros in the pipeline.

It's still not sure when they'll be out but the general feeling doing the rounds among RAF reenactors is that they should be good - and with an accurate pattern.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for reminding me of this thread again Speedster.

I scanned this the other day with the intention of posting it here as I am sure that at least Andrew (Windsock) will like it. This is a press photo from the Weekly News and also The NZ Herald of 485(NZ) Spitfire Sqn at Driffield in March 1941, just after their formation and prior to going operational.

Thought that the flying boot enthusiasts would enjoy the mixture of 1936 and 1939 Patterns in this great and evocative photo. It's also a great image of RAF period flying kit.

485DriffieldMarch41.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting this great pic, Smithy.
Also a brilliant example of my idear of "stylish" uniforms (See post in WWII section)
Kind of like the canvas/leather boots too. But I read somewhere, that they got mighty cold in high attitude when wet.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Another owner here of a set of Aero's '36s. They're warm, comfy and are perfect when I'm working with a window open at four in the morning. lol

I can testify to Aero's customer service as well: I've just been on the phone to them about something else and ended up discussing these very boots with the chap who was helping me out. Apparently they're also perfect for watching rugby on a winter's day! It's nice to deal with a company that actually want to know what you think of their products and have enough experience with them to hold up their end of such a conversation.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Thanks for posting this great pic, Smithy.
Also a brilliant example of my idear of "stylish" uniforms (See post in WWII section)
Kind of like the canvas/leather boots too. But I read somewhere, that they got mighty cold in high attitude when wet.

I believe aircrew ( Bomber Command at least ) would dress slowly, trying
not to sweat as they pulled all this heavy clobber on - because the sweat would then freeze at altitude and make them (even more) uncomfortable.
Maybe this is a myth though?

Doc is bang on about Aero. I just ordered an A2 from them, they responded to all my many foolish questions with the patience of a saint.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
ethanedwards said:
I believe aircrew ( Bomber Command at least ) would dress slowly, trying not to sweat as they pulled all this heavy clobber on - because the sweat would then freeze at altitude and make them (even more) uncomfortable.
Maybe this is a myth though?

The version I heard (and this is hearsay, so take it as you will) was that the problem came from dew on the airfield's grass. The suede parts of the boot would apparently collect the moisture on contact and then freeze when they got upstairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk