Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the seamstresses out there...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Because I'm silly and bored, here's a questionaire for you:

*How long have you been sewing?
*How did you learn to sew?
*What was the first project you made that you remember?
*Do you have a favorite thing to sew?
*What is your favorite step in the sewing process?
*What is your least favorite thing?
*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns?
*What era do you like sewing best?
*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them?
*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances?
*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why?
*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew?
*What are your favorite trims?
*Do you use a dress form? Which brand?
*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others?
*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out?

Elaina

One Too Many
*How long have you been sewing? 16 years.

*How did you learn to sew? Cross between my Aunt Glorene taking me to Hancock's sewing club in the summer of my 12th year, my mother making me rip out 100+ hours of bad sewing, self teaching through trial and error, then fashion college.

*What was the first project you made that you remember? A 1022 apron for a present for an old flapper I knew when I was...7. All hand sewn of course (and very badly done I may add). First thing on a machine was a pair of 1930 bermuda shorts in shockingly bright purple to match my shockingly ugly concert t-shirt.

*Do you have a favorite thing to sew? No. I have things I HATE to sew, nothing I love.

*What is your favorite step in the sewing process? Don't have one.

*What is your least favorite thing? Handsewing hems.

*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns? Laughing moon merchantile. I love JoAnn, she's awesome.

*What era do you like sewing best? Depends on my mood. If I have to pick an era 30-40's. Usually I pick and choose what I like from every era and wear accordingly.

*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them? Yes. Copy to newprint, cut the heck out of it, and resize on yet more newsprint. Take envelope and instructions to the copy place and put the whole of it into a manilla envelope, vintage patterns go up.

*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances? If I can, I machine hem everything. If not, I *grumble* handsew the hems. Seams are always french seamed. I hate unfisnished insides.

*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Uh. Both. Why? I usually create the good stuff for me, but I am in the process of opening up a plus size boutique for tranvestites and women.

*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew? Oh goodness. Brocades I would say.

*What are your favorite trims? I don't have one.

*Do you use a dress form? Which brand? I have one, and I don't use it. Uniquely you is the brand.

*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others? Singer: 66 treadle, 99-13 e-machine and a 201. I also have a Universal 1950's bullet model. The 201 and the 66 I recommend.

*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out?[/QUOTE]
Take it slow, but keep at it. Choose little projects you can finish.

Elaina

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive had sewing in my life since I was a kid. My mother was a professional seamstress.

Mama :)

I use to make a lot of cloth bags and purses. Hand stitched.

Women's coats, I love fitting a coat to the bust (Strange I know). :p

When its finished!

Ironing!!!:mad:

Vogue and all those obscure pattern companies that came and went.

50's baby. The patterns were clean and simple. The 40's too, but they are more time consuming.

I do use vintage patterns, but like with all my patterns, I trace them out on paper first.

I had a serger (my moms) but I broke it. I got mad at it and bent a looper :( So right now I zig a stitch then turn it under. I HATE raw edges. HUGE pet peve.

I sew for myself. I could sew for other people but am never asked. I dont think Id like it. People dont understand how a fitting works. They get all stranged out if you ask them to come in and try the garment on. Dude, Im sculpting a garment to your body, the least you can do is see if it fits well.

I love 100% cottons! MMMMM!

Dont really have a fave trim. But Im open to suggestions. I guess a clean edge is my fave.

My mothers vintage form is on its way to me :) Ill post pics when I get it.

I have my mothers Singer. Before that, she had a Brother. Those seem to be the only two machine brands shes had, so I guess my brand loyalty will be to those.

Sewing is a craft, and art. It 3D construction on a living being. I guess Im looking at it in a romantic sense, but it is. You have to understand the dimentions of the body in order to know where to fix mistakes, and to know how something will hand. Dont be afraid of asking for help, doing a garment twice, and messing up. Dont use $50 a yard silk on a garment you have never done before! Sketches (cloth mock ups) work in all fields of art! Have fun and dont fret if it isnt perfect!

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender

The earliest sewing memory I have was sewing the troop numbers on my Brownie uniform, which must've been when I was about seven.

My grandmother.

I made a few doll dresses early on, but the first project I remember making for myself was a little apron when I was about eight or so.

Late '30s/early 40's day dresses -- practical clothes I can wear for everyday.

Cutting -- I kind of zone out, and it's a nice escape from daily stress.

Basting. I really really hate basting.

I'm a Simplicity kinda gal.

c. 1939-1944 -- styles that work best for my body shape.

Most of my sewing is vintage patterns -- I can't remember the last time I used a modern one, in fact. If I only see myself making one garment off a pattern, I'll use it straight out of the envelope, but if it's something I'm going to make in multiples, I might make tracings of the pieces first.

Don't have/can't afford a serger, so I either pink or zigzag depending on the fabric. I don't have the patience for French seaming...

Just me, although my niece wants me to make her a prom dress (out of Sponge Bob Squarepants fabric, no less!)

Cottons in vintage prints -- washable, practical, and easy to work with. Rayon crepe is nice for classier garments, but it's hard to find around here.

I have been known to use piping -- and sometimes I really like eyelet lace.

I don't -- I've always wanted one, though, and given my odd proportions (small bust/thick waist) I might have best success doing the duct-tape thing.

I started out on my grandmother's New Home treadle machine, which I wish wish wish I still had. That got replaced by an early '80s-era Brother, which I used until it finally died, and I replaced it with another Brother -- nothing fancy, just a good, serviceable machine that does what I want it to do. So far I'd recommend it!

Put a little loop of tape on your stitch ripper and wear it on a string around your neck. No matter how good you get, you'll always need it.

shindeco

A-List Customer
25 years

Trial and error at the start. Both my sister and my partner are trained in design and construction so I've got great resources now!

Folkwear pattern number 202 -- Victorian shirt

nope

finishing

laying out, pinning and cutting--yeuch!

nope

hmmm ... first half of the twentieth century

Only in reprints

Hems- by hand
seams-depends on the project; French seams, pinking, binding...

just me, 'cause I'm not that good!!

cotton shirtings

tatting, and no, I DON'T put it on my shirts!

nope

Pfaff, great machine

Never assume that you can't do it, just because you've never done it before.

Rosie

One Too Many
About 9 years off and on.

Trial and error (I still am learning my trial and error)

A denim pocket book. Second was a pencil skirt that I still wear.

Pencil skirts, they are very easy. Though I do love a good circle skirt near it's end.

When its done and I get to wear it.

Fitting. :( Takes too long and I am a bit impatient.

I don't use patterns but, I LOVE Vogue and Butterick.

I guess the '50s, pencil skirts,circle skirts and wiggle dresses.

No vintage patterns :cry:

Before coming here, I didn't. I've been using a triple straight stitch or zig zig stitch lately.

Normally for myself though I have made a few dresses for my youngest niece.

I like the feel of silk.

I don't use many trims (impatience) but, I love the look of eyelet which I may use in the future.

No dress form :cry: though I am supposed to be making a duct tape twin, I have the stand for her and everything.

I use a Brother. This is my first machine, I've had it for 7 years and it has served me well. My auntie used a Brother and that was the brand she suggested.

Keep trying, it will get better, I promise.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I started sewing when I was about 13'ish when I used to make dresses for my barbie dolls (which I still do!!!)

Kind of taught myself at first and then I did some textiles at school. I found that I was able to do embroidery from a very young age straight out of my head with no pattern or book as guidance. I am still learning a lot about garment construction.

This was a cushion that I made at school in pink cotton with a dog embroidered on it.......I still have itlol

Definitely dolls clothes especially from vintage repro patterns. I am now branching out to "big" clothes for me and am gaining confidence in fitting slowly.

Anything that is really tiny like sewing on seam tape or buttons. I also LOVE pressing things!!

Trying to figure out patterns, especially around the neck collar region where it can all become a bit of a "dot" and "notch" minefield.

Simplicity or Vogue

50's definitely, love the fitting of pencil skirts from this era.

I used magic tape to reinforce around the curved seams.

OOh another favourite bit of sewing for me, I love stitching up skirts hems with invisible herringbone stitch and I also love using rayon tape. I don't have an overlocker yet but would really love one, at the moment I pink anything that I think will fray and put a row of tiny stitches down the edge next to it.

I only sew clothing for myself as I'm nowhere near experienced enough to fit for anyone else yet. I have made other things for people though, cushions, dolls clothes etc.

Quilters cotton.

Vintage lace and ric-rac.

Nope.

My baby is a Bernina that has changed my life! I struggled with a vintage Singer for many years that finally gave out on me 3 years back and I replaced it with a sewing machine that I think must have been made by the gods. I could go on about it for pages....D/C motor,fine control, and the walking foot for quilting is something else.......... The first time I tried one out at a sewing show I almost cried it was so wonderful......

I have so much to learn but it's so much fun and soooo rewarding that I would recommend that all of us ladies learn to sew.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
shindeco said:
Never assume that you can't do it, just because you've never done it before.

That is so great I love it!:)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Sewed when I was a teenager then stopped till about 6 months ago.
Mum, and school, and now I'm bodging along with Vogue Sewing Book
I think it was a drindle skirt is some awful flowery cotton stuff when I was about 12
Whatever turns out right!
Choosing the material and envisaging a perfect outcome.
Having to undo a bit and start again
Vogue, Butterick, and I'm quite partial to Marian Martin and Ann Adams
40s and 50s
Vintage and Repro. Copy them first then adjust to fit which is always necessary with my shape.
Used to zigzag and pink, but the machine I now have has an overlocker.
Me, and husband eventually - why - 'cos I'm too bad at it still to inflict on anybody else.
Don't really have one, but unfavourites are satin and velvet.
Not a trim type of gal. Buttons are good
Have a second hand one but haven't used it because it doesn't really suit my shape so it's pretty useless. I have a dress displayed on it at the moment.
Elna. It does what it's supposed to do.
Fingers - moving needle. These two things do not go together without lots of pain. Just something to bear in mind. ;)

Nashoba

One Too Many
"Fingers - moving needle. These two things do not go together without lots of pain. Just something to bear in mind."
I just had to comment on this Caledonia. You couldn't be more right!!!!! That's the kind of pain that stays with you for a long time. I missed the bone by milimeters. Went right through my nail, my finger and back up again. Needless to say I'm a little more attentive to where my fingers are now!

just about 20 years now...(geez, that's scary!)

My mom taught me on the Kenmore machine that she got from her grandmother when she graduated from Fashion School

My mom sat me on her lap when I was 6 and had me move the fabric through the sewing machine while she worked the pedal. We were making my girl scout uniform.

Complicated things. I love challenges...except that sometimes I get frustrated and things get put in my unfinished box for a while ;)

The finished project part

Cutting, laying out, and pinning the pattern. Oh and basting. I hate that too.

I like simplicity, vogue and butterick

30's - 50's. I hate the 80's. Too many scary styles.

I do. Depending on how delicate the pattern and how many times I plan on using it I will usually trace over the pattern with pattern tissue or the new gauze like pattern drafting material. I love that stuff.

Like most others here I prefer clean edges without frays so I will usually zig zag the pieces or french seam. I don't have a whole lot of patience for french seams though so it has to be something worth do them on.

I sew for myself and for others. I actually sew for a living. I make unit flags (called Guidons) for the Marine Corps, so I get to sew every single day. I like sewing the clothes better though, the flags get repetetive. Luckily I work for myself so I get to mix it up a little when I get bored.

I love, love, love vintage rayon. but I also like cottons and nice sturdy fabrics. I'm not a big fan of knits, they can be tempremental.

Call it the american indian in me but I love ribbon. I was a fancy shawl dancer for a long time and I had ribbons everywhere.

I wish I had a dress form. I really want to do that duct tape one, but I'm a little nervous about asking my husband to wrap me in duct tape...

I have a Janome Memory Craft 3500. I love it. I used to have a brother and I loved that one two but I went through 2 machines in 4 years so I needed to upgrade.

Patience, perserverance, and more patience. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners once, if we can at all remember what that was like we will always be willing to help.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
*How long have you been sewing? I'm 36 so probably off and on for 30 years, not much sewing during my teen years.

*How did you learn to sew? Osmosis from Mom

*What was the first project you made that you remember? We did tons of craft things when I was a kid, oddly I can't remember a single specific thing until I started sewing again as an adult and that was maternity clothes.

*Do you have a favorite thing to sew? I love making costumes for kids, they are so appreciative.

*What is your favorite step in the sewing process? finishing

*What is your least favorite thing? mending things

*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns? Vogue for grown up stuff, Simplicity for kids stuff

*What era do you like sewing best? Just starting my attempts at vintage styles. Currently I am working on a "pride and prejudice style" dress for my daughter's Halloween costume.

*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them? not yet

*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances? Blind hems with an inner folded edge so it's clean/ want to try french seams

*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why? Mostly kids as I have a horrible time fitting things to myself. I tend to do home projects for friends or alterations sometimes. Ready to start sewing more for myself, I just spent a mint on work dress suits that I don't love all that much.

*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew? need to branch out here, mostly cotten

*What are your favorite trims? none just now

*Do you use a dress form? Which brand? My Mom always made us do a million fittings for everything she sewed. I have never tried one but I am interesting in using one.

*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others? Some cheap brother brand, no.....I like Viking Husquavarna - that is what my mom always used.

*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out?[/QUOTE] I don't sew when I am tired, I mess it up every single time.

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
About 12 years.
My Mom got me a doll kit one year for Christmas, and I sorta trial and errored it from there
That doll.
Not really
Finishing the garment
Pressing seams
Simplicity, because you can get them cheap
Mid 19th ce.
Yes, I copy the originals onto tracing paper and then use to copies.
Depends on what. :p
Yes to all of the above. I sew for myself because I don't like the stuff I can find to buy, and I sew for others because either they pay me or I feel pity for them.
Anything natural fibered.
Silk ribbons and glass buttons.
Yes, I got it for 5 dollars used, so I really don't know the brand. (really should upgrade to a better one though)
I have two- an 1886 Vindex Special and an 1880 Wheeler and Wilson Model 8. I don't recommend a Model 8 for everyday sewing, as it liked to jam, but over all I would recommend an antique machine over a modern one. They don't break down as often and just have more personality.
Be patient, and invest in a seam ripper.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
This is hard. I made doll clothes by hand when I was small. I got my first sewing machine when I was 11. I'm going to judge from then, so 15 years.

Trial and error. My mom taught me the basic running stitch when I was little, but that was all she knew. I practiced on the sewing machine but never got very good with it till I worked in theater. That's where I learned all the other hand stitches you need, and how things should be constructed. I never took a construction class because the professor at my school was a big jerk who said she wouldn't write me a recommendation because I didn't have "Passion" and wouldn't teach the construction class as an independent study because she'd given all the design work to students and was looking forward to not having to work at all that term. (4 years ago. Still bitter.)

A dress for a report on Colonial clothes. I made a big skirt with a gathered waist, copied the pattern for the bodice from a bridesmaid dress pattern, but I made it lace up the front and sewed an overskirt to that. I faked panniers by folding bed pillows in half and tying them to my waist.

Straight seams.

cutting the fabric.

Finishing: sewing in closures, hand-stitching hems, and realizing I did something wrong and have to undo something to re-fit it.

I love what Vogue offers, but Simplicity are very easy and are easily altered.

Long floofy things.

Please don't get mad. I just cut them up and use them like normal patterns.

I hem with a cross-stitch or a slip stitch, depending on what Im doing. I serge all the edges, usually flat, and then press them open. I don't like to serge them together because I'm afraid I'll change size and need to alter it later.

Just for me. I want to make what I want to make when I want to make it. When I sew for other people I have to do what they want.

Duchesse satin for ease of sewing, but I *adore* anything with a bit of stretch to it. Lycra, vinyl, stretch velvet, whatever. It's *so* easy to fit and pattern that stuff, it just sucks right into the shape I want it. You don't even have to think about it.

I have problems with trims. I am trim-blind and never know what to use. Also, trim is expensive! It's not fair how expensive trim is.

I use a Wolf form. I've got two, one standard basket-bottom and one hanging one with legs.

Bernina. It's not an industrial, but I love it. My serger is a Juki. I think I want a new serger, I don't like the way my perl edge looks. (Actually, I hate the look of machine roll hems in general, but I hate the way my machine does it in particular.)

don't stress, and practice. Sewing isn't something you need talent for, it's just a plain, mechanical skill. There's no secret to it other than practice, and everyone can be a master with just a little attention and work. Also, don't forget to learn hand-sewing so you can finish everything nicely.

Oh yeah. Iron everything. Nothing looks good that hasn't been ironed. I iron the fabric every time I do anything. Pressed fabric is easier to sew.

Also: Step 1 is learning to sew a straight line. It's easy, you can use the guidelines by the presser foot and just keep the fabric lined up with that (if you've cut it straight.) To practice controlling the fabric, take a piece of muslin or scrap fabric, draw a bit swirly line that curves, points, and goes in weird directions, and then practice sewing on the line till you can stay on it perfectly.

BV - and it's expensive. You probably won't be able to make stuff cheaper than you can buy things for. But by that point you probably won't care that your fabric is $40/yd.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Sale at Hancocks - Patterns!

Hey Ladies,
I just got an email from Hancock fabrics. Simplicity Patterns are 99 cents each from Sept 28 - Oct 1. This is a nation distribution email so I can only assume that all Hancock stores are running this special in their stores. So if you've had your eye on some simplicity patterns now is the time to jump on them!!!!
Nash

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sorry guys! I wasn't around yesterday. Ok, this is really interesting, and I love reading everyone's!! Kinda fun!

Since I was about 8- so nearly 18 years on and off.
I taught myself when I was little but didn't know the "rules". My cousin helped me learn how to make doll clothes for my American Girl dolls, and she taught me about seam allowances and such. I sewed them by hand until my mom helped teach me how to sew on machine. I learned a lot by quilting with my mom, actually, then at fashion school tuned up my skills.
I made matching "victorian" outfits for my cousins when I was about 8. I had no idea about construction or openings and just looked at the fabric and cut it out. I wish I still had the fabric- it was teal and gold late 50's brocade!
Costumes! Sometimes I love to whip out a vintage repro, but I really love being up to my ears in silks and trims for Victorian dresses.
Figuring out trims and accents for victorians, picking out fabrics and patterns for vintage repros.
Hand finishing. I hate sewing hems and hooks and eyes and buttons and facings. Ack!
For modern wear, Vogue. For vintage, Mccalls, for Victorian Truly Victorian.
1870's or 1930's.
Yes. I generally use them out of the envelope if I know I'll only make it once, like LizzieMaine. If I need to resize it or I know I'm going to use it a lot I'll transfer it to manila paper then pattern paper and resize.
If I'm lazy I cut them with pinking shears. If I'm feeling inclined to change thread I'll serge them. If it's a sheer I use french seams.
Mostly for myself now, but I'll sew for friends on occassion or if someone wants to pay me enough :p. I don't really like sewing for other people that much because of the fittings and I'm always paranoid I'll mess it up- especially if I have to resize it significantly. If I'm sewing for myself and I mess up I can cover it cleverly. If it's for someone else I feel like it needs to be perfect inside and out, and that's scary.
Silk Dupioni!!! It was seriously sent from heaven.
EVERYTHING. Except beaded things because I have to handsew them on and I hate handsewing for the most part.
Yes. I have several for all different sizes (I LOVE doing bridal). The one I use the most and who is my true love is my Wolf form. For sewing for me I generally don't use a dress form unless I need to see how a skirt will hang.
A Phaff and I love it, but it's going to die within the next few years. I think I'll need something more heavy duty the next time around and I've heard great reviews about the new Husqvarna 122. I heard it would even sew through a yardstick. That's heavy duty enough even for me!
Don't worry if it's not perfect! It takes time to perfect anything. Start with cottons because they're some of the easiest fabrics to sew. If you can, get in a class. It's more motivationall to see how others are doing and know you're not the only one struggling along. Sew with patterns that are marked Easy, because you'll just get frustrated if you try something harder at first. And have fun! :)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Oh, now I really want to see the Viking sew through a yardstick! That would be better than the guy on TV who cuts pennies in half to show how tough the knives are! (And I want an embroidery machine very very badly).

BV

Nashoba

One Too Many
Elaina said:
Thanks Nash, there's a repro pattern that was out on the last sale so I'm stepping out as soon as my son gets dressed *glares at kid*.

lol, he loves the fabric store, just today is a chore to get him to do anything.

Elaina

LOL I hope they have it! I've been having that problem alot lately. I have a list of patterns that I want from each of the major companies....then I have to patiently wait for them to go on sale.

I too would LOVE to see a sewing machine go through a yard stick! That's my kind of machine.
I'm dying for an embroidery machine..but I need one of the industrial ones that interfaces with my computer so I can expand my business....needless to say I still don't have one....but someday..maybe...

Nash

Elaina

One Too Many
Nashoba said:
LOL I hope they have it! I've been having that problem alot lately. I have a list of patterns that I want from each of the major companies....then I have to patiently wait for them to go on sale.

I too would LOVE to see a sewing machine go through a yard stick! That's my kind of machine.
I'm dying for an embroidery machine..but I need one of the industrial ones that interfaces with my computer so I can expand my business....needless to say I still don't have one....but someday..maybe...

Nash

They did. I got the 40's 4044 or this
4044.jpg

which is the last one I'm missing, a purse pattern, my son's halloween costume and some underpinings.

I'm working on
50.jpg

right now, got mostly through the pants and had my cat eat chocolate all over them, so I had to clean them before I could finish. Camo colored hawaiian print, khaki colored top to match, vintage pattern purse of pants material.

Thanks again!

Elaina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto