Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fox Creek Leather Appreciation Thread

jchosko

Familiar Face
Hi Folks:

I just thought I'd start a thread devoted to Fox Creek Leather jackets. They seem like they don't get talked about too much around here--even though I know some members have them. Perhaps it is because they are not really vintage-inspired--with the exception of the Classic models that are similar to the famed Brando Perfecto. In any case, I think they are top-notch jackets, of amazing quality and craftsmanship.

The best part about them is the soft and supple 3.5 oz naked cowhide that is incredibly soft and flexible, yet indestructibly thick. I have the Vented Reflector model and the Vented Bomber. So who else has Fox Creek Leather jackets around here? What are your thoughts? Also, please post pics if you've got them (I'm especially interested in seeing some pictures of the Grayson model--a traditional cafe racer style). I'm going to try to get around to posting some pics on here of my various leathers soon...

Cheers!

Fiver64

Practically Family
news to me!

Until browsing your query, I had never even heard of Fox Creek! Checked them out and they do seem to have some impressive quality leather, and at seemingly reasonable prices. I drift more towards the more traditional look (Highwayman style), and would be interested if they made more such styles available. Sold my bike years ago so not real need for the biker jacket look. Thanks for bringing them to my attention though!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I have a grayson. Here's a pic from a year ago.

I plan on getting another made for me in the near future. Maybe a brown grayson w/ full perforations.

Yeah these are definitely underated. Leather quality is top notch. Prices are very reasonable and the grayson has provision for body armor.

011m.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I have the Vented Bomber motorcycle jacket from Fox Creek. It is a well made jacket with thick supple cowhide. The sleeves are long, as they should be on a motorcycle jacket. There are vents in the sleeve, chest and back. The advertised thickness is 1.4mm to 1.6mm. As I remember from years ago, for real protection the leather needs to be 1.4mm thick or more.

The jacket is comfortable to wear, and is my go to jacket when the temps are in the 60s to 70s. Below that, and I need to layer more in a larger jacket. Above that and the sun gets mighty warm, even with the vents. Although I think I remember that the jacket is fairly comfortable as high as the 80s because of the vents.

It has a really neat double front zipper arrangement whereby the outer zipper may be unzipped but the jacket is still zipped with the interior zipper. There is vented leather on either side of the inside zipper, which allows even more air flow.

They recommend going one size up from one's regular size. I tried that, got a 44, and it was too tight. Sent it back for a 46, and that is a good fit. Not much room for layering, though.

I'll try to get some pictures taken and posted in the next day or so.

jchosko

Familiar Face
Caveman:

That Grayson looks awesome! Thanks for posting the pic!

My experience with the FCL stuff is that it is very practical--a lot of attention to detailing that makes the jackets as rider friendly as possible. Like Peacoat said re: the inner perforated leather front on the Vented Bomber that can be zipped up while leaving the front of the jacket open on hot days...

Fox Creeks are interesting too in that when they break in the leather smoothens out. My experience has been that they start out much more pebbled, but the more you wear them the more they develop a kind of smoothness and shine--rather than heavy creasing like a Vanson for instance. I believe there is somewhere on the FCL website that mentions this unique quality as well...

jchosko

Familiar Face
Nice fit Peacoat! I have that same jacket in a 42. What do you think of it relative to some of the other leather jackets you own? I would compare Fox Creek very favorably against my Schott (vintage 641, and leather peacoat), Vanson (Comet and Enfield), Aero (HG-5), Brooks (vintage 60s cafe and NOS 80s Brando style), and Johnson Leathers (goatskin bomber--a European military repro that Johnson made for the Japanese market).

Peacoat

Bartender
The Fox Creek is the jacket I pick for most of my rides, depending on the weather. Even though it is a 46, and my suit size is 42, it is still a little tight for much layering. It is large enough, however, to wear the electric vest under it, which is what I use when the temps go under 60. After lunch, when the temps have risen, I take the vest off and open the vents for a more comfortable ride. It is a versatile jacket, especially with the vents. That, plus the comfort, is probably why I choose it more than the others.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
captaincaveman1 said:
I have a grayson. Here's a pic from a year ago.

I plan on getting another made for me in the near future. Maybe a brown grayson w/ full perforations.

Yeah these are definitely underated. Leather quality is top notch. Prices are very reasonable and the grayson has provision for body armor.

011m.jpg

Captaincaveman - what size is your Grayson, and what size do you normally wear? I am liking the Grayson a lot, but I'm wondering how Fox Creek's sizing is. I have heard some people say to go up a size with them.

celtic

A-List Customer
I have a set of gloves and I bought my wife a jacket.

Thick, heavy leather; reasonable price; Made in the USA, fantastic customer service; lifetime warranty -

What's not to love?!?

Peacoat

Bartender
Jimmer, I went up one size to a 44, as recommended by the company. It was too tight. I sent it back and got a 46 and had enough room in the 46 for a vest. Even without the vest, it isn't a loose fit.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
jimmer_5 said:
Captaincaveman - what size is your Grayson, and what size do you normally wear? I am liking the Grayson a lot, but I'm wondering how Fox Creek's sizing is. I have heard some people say to go up a size with them.
I bought mine used off ebay. It's a size 42. I usually take a 42 - 180 lbs, 5' 9".

It's a bit tight in the shoulders but fits well everywhere else. If you have a slim build, I think these fit true to size. Otherwise, you may want to go up a size. Of course, try emailing FCL first. They're a small family run business and are pretty quick with responding to questions.

Also, I hear there is some variation in the production runs... so they might be able to pick a jacket off the rack that better suits your individual dimensions.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks foryour replies guys! It's always helpful getting info from firsthand users.

I gave Fox Creek a quick call today to inquire about the possibility of ordering a Grayson in brown leather. They said it would be a special order and it would cost $80 more than the standard price, so a 44 long or 46 long would end up being $488 ($408 for the long size plus the $80). I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I was just curious about the possibility.

My only remaining question is, does their leather have teh soft, grainy feel to it, or is it smooth? The pics on their website make it look like their leather has that soft hand and "pebbly all over" look and feel to it. I have a Fieldsheer jacket that feels this way. On the other hand, my Aero has a smooth finish, and a relatively stiff hand. How is the leather on your fox creek jackets?

Also, what is the full sleeve liner like?

Thanks!

- Jim

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Yup, what he said. I also have two Fieldsheer jackets. The leather on the Grayson feels almost 50% again as thick as the Fieldsheers'.

Foxcreek jackets have a pebbly but smooth texture as you should expect of a top grain leather. You can clearly see individual skin cells in the grain. It's also quite soft and doesn't need any break-in.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks again!

When I referred to the liner, I was wondering about the removable lining that comes with the jacket - they describe it as a "full sleeve liner".

It's also nice to hear how thick the leather is. I thought my Fieldsheer was tick when I bought it, but apprently I was wrong!

apba1166

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
The removable lining is a quilted Thinsulate type of lining.

Buttons to attach, one button at the cuffs, sometimes pulls a bit when taking off mine, which is a very heavy Bomber-type w/perf zip inside, and vented. But the jacket is great, balances well, weightwise. I also have a Vanson which fits much tighter (as a 46 vs. FC's 44), more lean and mean and cut to the waist. I'm 6' 180, take a 42R sport coat and the FC 44 fits me well. It's not too short in the back.

Peacoat

Bartender
apba1166 said:
Buttons to attach, one button at the cuffs, sometimes pulls a bit when taking off mine, which is a very heavy Bomber-type w/perf zip inside, and vented. But the jacket is great, balances well, weightwise. I also have a Vanson which fits much tighter (as a 46 vs. FC's 44), more lean and mean and cut to the waist. I'm 6' 180, take a 42R sport coat and the FC 44 fits me well. It's not too short in the back.

Interesting. I am 6' 185 and also a 42R. I got the same Fox Creek jacket as you did. I followed their recommendation and ordered one size up for a 44. It was way too tight through the chest and shoulders. Couldn't comfortably layer. Sent it back for a 46, and it is a much better fit. I can wear a vest or a sweater underneath without feeling constrained.

We had some nice weather this weekend so I rode and wore the jacket. I noticed how heavy it seemed when I picked it up. It felt as heavy as my Aero Highwayman. Weighed them both and they were 6.5 lbs. each. As you say, it balances well and the weight isn't noticeable.

The Fox Creek is a much more comfortable jacket to wear than the Highwayman, and with the armor in the elbows (and shoulders, if one goes that route), it is a more serious motorcycle jacket than the Highwayman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ