Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends of the good old leather-belts!

The last time, I needed to buy a new belt, I thought, these times, why not finally buy one of the better belts, instead of go further with the priceworth Polyurethan-mixed ones?? So, I avoided to choose the simple storebrand ones again and grabbed one of the premium-storebrand ones. It's 100% buffalo and no synthetic mixture. :)

But, I tell you, the belt is really so nice, but the clasp isn't to underestimate! It really a heavy piece and for such a belt, it's a rock of a clasp. But, for sure very robust.

So, the next time, I will more exactly look on the clasp, too, because normally I like the flatter clasps, which I was accustomed. ;)

Last edited:

xmr

One of the Regulars
Friends of the good old leather belts?

I don't know anyone wearing a belt that's not made out of real leather (?)

Edward

Bartender
One thing I've learned over the years is that it's worth paying a little more for a decent leather belt; cheaper, bonded leather types that last only a year or two are a false economy in the long run. I'm rather sceptical about the USD150 and up charged for some very plain leather belts, but it is worth investing in as decent one.

Exactly! That's what I learned the hard way. Which is why I went with army belts. Quality is the one thing the army guarantees.

I only have these.
jna-oficirski-remen-ramenim-remenom-kopcama-pistolj-slika-7365215.jpg

Without the shoulder straps of course.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the buckle is not that huge.
rather than bonded leather or fake leather, obviously real leather is much better, would last longer, but if your weight is changing it will leave permanent mark at the hole where you frequently use.

However for me since I wear my shirt out or at best only exposing the buckle, my first choice is canvass, very strong, doesn't stretch, can be washed, I have 4 colors (black, khaki, green, blue) with similar buckle to match with my pants color, and they're dirt cheap.

Edward

Bartender
@Monitor - it very much depends on the army, mind.... I've had great experience with German, Russian, Scandanavian and Czech stuff, mixed experiences of British and US stuff, and the Chinese stuff is very hit and miss. ;) Is that a Sam Brown, or something similar? an't quite tell from the photo.... I wish someone would do a version of the Sam Brown in a smaller width.... 1" would be cool, but I imagine that would be too narrow for the two-tracks of button holes...

@Navatsea - those canvas belts can be great too - decent ones are very hardwearing. I have a couple I wear sometimes, usually causally with khakis.

My next buy is gonig to be another nice black belt with studs for changing the buckle: one of the souvenir items on sale at the Damned's 40th Anniversary show the other week was a really nice beltbuckle, in a decent size: about an inch and a half deep by three inches long. I love a good buckle, but most of them these days are stupidly oversized.... even on me now I'm gonig through, eh...... my Vegas period, physique wise....

@Monitor Is that a Sam Brown, or something similar? an't quite tell from the photo....

Nope, it's a Yugoslavian National Army officers belt. I've heard from foreign collectors that these guys used to make the best paratrooper army boots ever made, and one of the best and most sought after army binoculars (two TFL members actually contacted me out of the blue if I could find one). Don't know if that's true, but their belts are super high quality. I've had mine for literally 20 years.

Friends of the good old leather belts?

I don't know anyone wearing a belt that's not made out of real leather (?)

In Germany, we got on solid quality-storebrands usually two sorts. There are the really ok ca. 15 EUR-belts, made of leather and often polyurethan, mixed half and half. I weared them all the years until 2015. They are mainly very ok and you can have your pleasure on them, for 6, 7, 8 years or even longer, if you want. They got no real problem.
But you please have to avoid these supermarket-leather belts for 2,99 EUR or so. They are really cheap-made and fail after two or three years.

But, as you can see on my pictures, it's highly recommended, to pay 30 EUR for the higher-quality storebrands heavy buffalo! :D

robrinay

One Too Many
I bought a set of army mule straps and shortened one using copper rivets and saddle stitching to make a belt that should last forever. I gave it to friend as he'd been complaining about how rubbish the bonded leather ones are. It's similar in design to the surplus stock Swedish Army Belts that come up fairly frequently on eBay. If you search on eBay for Swedish army belt you'll find them for around £39.99. I'll post a link in the vintage finds section for anyone who is interested.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/swedish-army-leather-belt.86445/

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Respectfully, the belt depicted in the original post is, at best, a mediocre, generic belt that can be purchased at any department store, including discount department stores. Moreover, the notion that leather distinguishes a high quality belt from a poor quality belt is like saying silk distinguishes a high quality tie from a poor quality tie. Only the absolute cheapest, poorest quality belts are made out of pleather/fake leather, and inexpensive leather belts are far from high quality.

As with leather jackets, high quality belts are made from hearty, robust leather . . . often 10+ oz. leather. I personally am a fan of Rogue Territory belts.

rogue-territory-black-leather-belt-product-5-6544804-573525737.jpeg

Nick Hollows (TFL member) also makes a mean belt:

P8180505.jpg

3Sixteen:

316_BRWN_01-683x1026.JPG
\

Sugar Cane:

SC_BELT_BLK_01-652x979.jpg

Tanner Goods:

standard_hickory_stainless_2015_01_1024x1024.jpeg

RMF308

One of the Regulars
If you are interested In a durable belt I highly recommend looking at belts that come from the concealed carry firearms industry; the best are thick double leather stitched together to support a handgun/holster/magazine carrier combo which rely on lateral support in order to keep things in place and guns concealed. Some of the best are double leather thick horsehide and some are even cut on the contour to make them more comfortable. They are not always the belt I choose as they are thick...but it you want a belt to match your FQHH on your Aero this might be something you would be interested in. I have a couple of these that are nearly 20 years old and have taken on a beautiful patina.

As an example of belt thickness- the belt above is a Tanner, the one below is a Kramer horsehide belt (double thick horsehide leather which measures 6.5mm thick) from Kramer Handgun Leather.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
I bought a buckle from Elliot Rhodes in Covent Garden the last time I was in London and made a simple black butt hide belt. I bought the strap and the poppers (plus tool) on eBay. I can change the buckle by unpopping the poppers. The buckle caught my eye as it is a similar design to those of Bjorn Weckstrom - a designer who has designed jewellery for Lapponia.
http://www.elliotrhodes.com

Nick Hollows (TFL member) also makes a mean belt:

P8180505.jpg

This is really cool!

I honestly never had a belt that... broke down, or whatever it is that happens with belts that would render them... unusable. Or seen one. But then again, I never had a crap belt. Those army ones weight a ton and are literally indestructible. Worst that happened to one of my belts was that the leather finish became a bit flaky, like what you would see on an old jacket but the belt is still as good as ever.

What exactly happens to cheap belts? Do they snap? Does the hardware falls apart?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There are people who are into belts. I'm not but all mine are solid leather made here by local leather craftsmen. Simple, with small buckles and no ornamentation. I have never bought a belt from a store as such. That said, any belt that lasts 10 years is a good belt. I'm still wearing a belt I got 30 years ago. Lucky I never wear a suit as it would look pretty worn and ruin the look.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have had cheap belts that fell to pieces. Usually, it's a case of, if its bonded leather, the glue comes apart - that's when you discover that there's cardboard layered in with some flimsy leather. The other thing is the buckle is made from cheap, brittle metal that snaps unexpectedly.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
JERo5bx.jpg

for years this had been my only belt, look at how my waistline has shrunken over the years from 34 size pants to 30-31 size pants. the leather is slightly warped making a slight curve halfway the length not straight anymore.

then I found canvas belt $10 a pop, and never look back!
but I'm lucky not to work and live in a formal environment.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Like others here i probably have too many belts, but my favorite is a 1 1/2" ostrich leg belt I found at an upscale flea market in Anacapri while we were in Italy a couple of years ago that was handmade by the guy that sold it to me.
2016-06-05 17.50.21.jpg 2016-06-05 17.50.40.jpg 2016-06-05 17.51.10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21