Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends of the good old leather-belts!

A-1

One Too Many
Given that I wear my shirts untucked and, therefore, my belts are not seen, I do not derive any "social distinction" from my hidden belts. Moreover, I seriously doubt that even unobscured belts draw meaningful attention or recognition, if any (with the possible exception of adorned belts or large/ornate buckles).

Firstly, my comment wasn't meant to offend anyone.
But I think it doesn't necessarily mean to show off stuff. I actually don't have any "real" persons here to share my obsession of well-done goods with. No one that I know has any idea what my jacket costs, my jeans or my belt. (And they'd probably think it's ridiculous, which it perhaps is!) I think and that is what it is to me, without having to be a show off, to wear "better" and unique stuff. And I know and see that a lot of people recognize that it's good stuff that I'm wearing without me having to show it off.
To me it's also the feeling of having something no one else here in my hometown has. I mean, I truly believe that there is no one here having Viberg Boots, not talking about a Diamond Dave leather jacket.
I don't know why I like it, because I don't really feel superior but it still does make me feel good.
However, my obsession got a bit milder. Or let's put it like this. I have been a bit disappointed by the quality of a lot of goods that I bought that I began to go back to some good ole products, that I knew are not really handmade or anything but I know will last.
I was on the hunt for the holy grail chino but I always had to lower my sights regarding design, fit and/or construction. And I didn't see the reason to purchase a pair of pants for 250$ when having to make restraints.
So, if there is anyone out there with a suggestion for a crispy, rather slim-fitting and affordable pair of chinos, I'm all ears.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
A lot of people do not only buy expensive stuff for their quality and craftmanship but also for social distinction.
I mean, my old pair of Dickies pants is still alive after 12 years of wear. My Rogue Territory, Tellason, Flat Head, Japan Blue (the list goes on) never lasted longer than 2 months without at least one repair. But well, I can still wear them. I don’t know where I’m heading with this post, so I better stop here..

one of the reason they become more expensive because they are a bit obsolete and unwanted by 99% of the world population, the 1% who want to have it need to pay high price to get one made by small scale production ... another reason pure cotton with no give and slim fit cut..

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the context was raw denim jeans/ chinos :)
as for belt I have settled with canvas, blends better with pants, and no need to match it with other leather items
URZYplK.jpg

Last edited:

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Great belts! Especially like the Terry Dear belts his buckles.

I'm going to pick up a few Equus belts. I may go for a Terry Dear in that rectangular buckle (2nd from top). Is that the Russet Baker bridle leather, aged a bit?
That is tan bridle or english tan bridle. I cant recall. And the color is indeed lovely and that is the initial color.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
That is tan bridle or english tan bridle. I cant recall. And the color is indeed lovely and that is the initial color.
The top two (black and tan) are bridle and dyed at bakers. The bridle leather is 4 – 4.5mm (10 – 11 oz. The colours he stocks in bridle are Black, Full-grain Tan, Havana Brown, Australian Nut and Russet(natural).

The bottom two are 15 or 16 oz (6mm?) bakers oak bark natural tanned belts. He hand dyes the natural to saddle brown. And the brass torque celt buckle is a nice buckle pictured on the natural quercus. All orders are done via email and sometimes it takes several days for him to respond. But he is great to work with. He can also dye the quercus to black as well. He maintains a stock of buckles as well, so you can ask him for that as well. His workmanship is top notch and his prices cant be beat! He may go into retirement soon!

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
The top two (black and tan) are bridle and dyed at bakers. The bridle leather is 4 – 4.5mm (10 – 11 oz. The colours he stocks in bridle are Black, Full-grain Tan, Havana Brown, Australian Nut and Russet(natural).

The bottom two are 15 or 16 oz (6mm?) bakers oak bark natural tanned belts. He hand dyes the natural to saddle brown. And the brass torque celt buckle is a nice buckle pictured on the natural quercus. All orders are done via email and sometimes it takes several days for him to respond. But he is great to work with. He can also dye the quercus to black as well. He maintains a stock of buckles as well, so you can ask him for that as well. His workmanship is top notch and his prices cant be beat! He may go into retirement soon!
The natural quercus does indeed age to that tan colour i believe though........

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Here are my two main belts. The one on the left I made myself.................when I say made, I just bought a bridle leather belt blanc & sewed on a brass buckle I've had since '82. :rolleyes:....it's the 4th leather belt this buckle has known.

I've also got this baby awaiting a buckle & decorative stitching.

Last edited:

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Here are my two main belts. The one on the left I made myself.................when I say made, I just bought a bridle leather belt blanc & sewed on a brass buckle I've had since '82. :rolleyes:....it's the 4th leather belt this buckle has known.

I've also got this baby awaiting a buckle & decorative stitching.
Do you have a harness stitcher?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff