Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS WW2 Irvin flying jacket

rikbb

Familiar Face
Hello everyone,

In order to finance another project I am thinking of offering one of my Irvin jackets for sale. I’ve had this jacket for 4 years.

Each jacket I have seen has aged in a different way. With some wear on the edges on the cuffs the leather and fleece of this one remain in a very youthful state.
The fleece is thick and the leather is soft. Some of the leather patches are very robust, specially on the back. There is almost no ‘cracking’ to the finish. The fleece has a lovely shiny gingery aspect to it inside the jacket.

I had discussed extensively the pattern with other members here, but I still don’t know the maker of the jacket. The collar has large rings and the way the rings are attached resembles a Robinson & Ensum jacket. The body is made out of only 4 panels, 2 in front, and 2 in the back. The sleeves are made out of three panels, 2 in front, and 1 in the back. Which probably dates this jacket to somewhere near 1941. No label in place. 8 vent holes. The size would probably be a 4 or a 5 (any suggestions?). I am 1,83 m, 78 kilos. It fits me well though the shoulders are a bit compromised when I ride my bike.

The (sliding) belt loop, closest to the buckle, is missing. The sleeve zips are original (DOT) and the main zipper (DOT) is a shortened NOS replacement. All the seams as well as the main zip have been restitched by a professional leather jacket manufacturer here is Paris. The elastic collar strap has been restored. The previous owner had had a section of the left shoulder patch inserted—very well done. There is a small older stitched repair on the left elbow (hardly visible) of 2" (4,5 cm).

I have recently ripped a bit the back of one of the shoulder panels (3” — 7 cm) which I intend to have repaired before selling (by replacing the panel), unless the buying wishes not.

Looking for 550£. Posting from Paris, France.

dimensions
pit to pit across the front: 23,5” (60 cm)
pit to pit across the back: 22,5” (57 cm)
shoulder to shoulder along the back: 21" (53 cm)
sleeves from shoulder to end of cuff: 25” (64 cm)
back from base of collar to bottom of hem: 23,5” (60 cm)
under arm pit to hem: 20,5” (52,5 cm)
waist across the back: 23” (58 cm)
zip: 23" (58 cm)
height of collar: 6,5" (16,5 cm)

(the photo with the dimensions was taken a while ago, before the zip replacement and rip in shoulder)

IRVIN2002s.jpg
IRVIN2004s.jpg
IRVIN2012s.jpg
IRVIN2003s.jpg
IRVIN2008s.jpg
IRVIN2009s.jpg
IRVIN2010s.jpg
IRVIN2013s.jpg
IRVIN2015s.jpg
IRVIN2016s.jpg
IRVIN2019s.jpg
IRVIN2017s.jpg