Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Brim vs. Stingy Brim

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually wear hats for sun protection. So the wider the better. With that said in the winter months I rarely see the light of day so that's when my stingy brims come out to play. I think I only have two that would be considered stingy but they are fun to wear.
Johnny
when i'm in the sun, I wear straws, and they're mostly wider brims, although I have plenty of stingy straws as well.

Ps. how've you been Johnny?

This is a great question, and will probably stir some folks up. I like a good stingy for certain days I want to feel the 60s again. Upturned brims are here, just not in abundance. I think a high quality early 60s stingy such as the Cavanagh picture below are just as cool as a wide brimmed 40s Mallory or Stetson, in their own way. Now I will retreat to my bunker for the coming storm. Embrace the stingy...slim brims have a place here too!

View attachment 75369
The good news for stingy brim lovers is that great vintage ones can be picked up for waaaaay less money than a full brimmed fedora. Unfortunatly they just don't look good on my fat head. In my never humble opinion the only guy that can really rock a porkpie is Van Morrison. I do wear many if not most of my hats with the brim up but my minimum brim is 2" and then up from there.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I think my shortest brim is 2-3/8" on any of my hats, so I guess I'm not a true fan of the stingy brim, for me. I think others look great in them. I also like a brim that will block out the sun a little. My favorite fedoras are brimmed out about 2-1/2" to 2-3/4".

johnnycanuck

when i'm in the sun, I wear straws, and they're mostly wider brims, although I have plenty of stingy straws as well.

Ps. how've you been Johnny?
Better now. Just got back to work after being off for longer than expected. Oil and gas isnt a good industry to be in these days.

Actually I have a fantastic vintage Stetson Wildcat I love (my wife bought me) but is way to small for me. Fantastic stingy with center crease. Should probaby list it here and see if I can get enough to buy one that fits me.

Johnny

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
These two are about the only stingy brims I have. First is the Resistol Kitten Finish at, I think, a 2 1/8" brim:

RKF_01.jpg

And this is a Champ with a 2" brim. It came in cattleman style, and I was able to rework it into the fedora style:

100_1192.jpg

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
I used to wear stingy brims, like trilbies, but that's just because I did not dare to wear any other regular hats. There're more discreet, more trendy, and not so far from a cap. Now I have to say I can't stand them !! I don't like big brims either. I usually go with 5-6 cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've been vacillating on the 'definitive' maximum brim width of a stingy for quite a while by now.

As previously mentioned, a lot of it has to do with the wearer's face and head shape and size.

What it now boils down to, for me, is that anything below 2" is stingy, and 2" is not. I received a 1 7/8" brimmed Stetson a few months ago, and when I wear it, it draws attention, in my eyes, to its narrow brim. My 2" brimmed hats do not - on my head. as much as I love my big (i.e. - 2 1/2") brimmed hats, 2" brims have the best proportions for my face and head.

(I think my ideal brim width is 2 1/4", but I don't have a 2 1/4" brimmed hat to test this theory.)

To some big(ger) galoot, a 2" brim could possibly look stingy in their, or others', eyes.

bolthead

I've been vacillating on the 'definitive' maximum brim width of a stingy for quite a while by now.

As previously mentioned, a lot of it has to do with the wearer's face and head shape and size.

What it now boils down to, for me, is that anything below 2" is stingy, and 2" is not. I received a 1 7/8" brimmed Stetson a few months ago, and when I wear it, it draws attention, in my eyes, to its narrow brim. My 2" brimmed hats do not - on my head. as much as I love my big (i.e. - 2 1/2") brimmed hats, 2" brims have the best proportions for my face and head.

(I think my ideal brim width is 2 1/4", but I don't have a 2 1/4" brimmed hat to test this theory.)

To some big(ger) galoot, a 2" brim could possibly look stingy in their, or others', eyes.
What size do you wear?

I find it fascinating how much a difference just 1/8" can make on a brim width. When I look at the ruler 1/8" is not very much but it can make a world of difference on how the hat looks when it is on my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto