Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur Felt- repair / restoration

Under the open road guild tthread Ricccardo asked about taking some type of steps to re-enforce a pinch that has gotten thin and may tear or crack thru:

I added alittle to smooth out his translation.
Quote From Riccardo:
There is a problem:
in the crown, at the top of the front, the felt is very very thin...
near to breaking...
could anyone advise me as to any manner to save it...

What if I'd add a seal (Patch or re-enforcement) inside the crown, a piece of felt, to make this point thicker than now...any advice?

Best regards.
Riccardo.

Which seems like a possible fix to re-enforce / patch from behind to strengthen the felt.

Any experts out there have any insights on this? Can it be done effectively?

How can there be any sin in sincere? What is the good in goodbye?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Riccardo, you are right on track with your idea!! Sorry, I missed your original thread. try putting some 1/2" cloth tape ( bandage tape) on the inside where the spot is and that will reinforce it. I have had 60 & 70 year old hats that have had this done somewhere in the past and still going strong.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I have an old fedora I picked up with the same issue, except the problem had previously been addressed. What it looks like they did was use a small piece or two of what looks like a fabric or linen tape on the inside of the hat. If I had a digital camera I'd gladly show a picture of it. I wonder if you went to an uphostry or fabric store if they'd have something along these lines. They might be able to offer a good suggestion, anyway.

bink

I actually have one of these or I should say my wife does. Its a great color stratoliner with three or four such patches inside it. You would never know from the outside but since it doesn't have a liner it is obvious from the inside.
I would get a picture of it but the batteries in my camera died. I'll get a picture after the batteries recharge in a bit. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Magus

Practically Family
I have a Baily straw that had this problem...I used "Tacky Glue" on the inside. Its flexible, clear and works with just about anything. Made a great little bonded area on my straw. Would something like that work for felt?

M

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Art, would the cloth tape also help to hold a small crack in the felt together? There are a couple of hats I'm trying to decide about, but they have cracked felt at the front of the pinch.

Magus said:
I have a Baily straw that had this problem...I used "Tacky Glue" on the inside. Its flexible, clear and works with just about anything. Made a great little bonded area on my straw. Would something like that work for felt?

M

I'd guess that if your straw is a relatively cheap one, then repairing it with glue could be the way to go. But according to our panamabob's website, you really don't want to do that with a high-quality straw hat. He says that breaks in straw can be repaired with new straw woven in, and that using glue just makes for a larger area for the reweaver to repair and makes that repair all the more conspicuous.
But then, if the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the hat ...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Tony, this works also with breaks that are already there. the real trick is to blend in felt shavings (just had a vision of loungers and razor blades..yikes) into the crack, steam & massage them till you can refinish the spot so that it doesn't show at all. I have purchased hats in the past and was shocked when taking them apart because even when I could see the break from the inside, I couldn't from the outside. Now THAT was a hatter!!! I'm not there yet...

Gotta write a book, Art: "Zen and the Art of Hat Restoration." There's much to be said for recognizing what a thing (anything) actually is, beyond the advertising and the "mystery" and all. Surely there's enough surplus felt in the "solid" parts of an old hat to strengthen the thin spots. Understanding how felt actually comes into being, and replicating that process, is what is needed here. I'll have to consult my old pal up there in his hut in the Himalayas.

Magus

Practically Family
tonyb said:
I'd guess that if your straw is a relatively cheap one, then repairing it with glue could be the way to go. But according to our panamabob's website, you really don't want to do that with a high-quality straw hat. He says that breaks in straw can be repaired with new straw woven in, and that using glue just makes for a larger area for the reweaver to repair and makes that repair all the more conspicuous.
But then, if the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the hat ...

That would have been the case with this one...nice older hat...but paid under $15 for it. Thanks for the info though :)

jamespowers said:
I actually have one of these or I should say my wife does. Its a great color stratoliner with three or four such patches inside it. You would never know from the outside but since it doesn't have a liner it is obvious from the inside.
I would get a picture of it but the batteries in my camera died. I'll get a picture after the batteries recharge in a bit. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Here you go pictures of the felt patch:
stratpatch2.jpg

StratPatch1.jpg

The hat on the outside. The color is actually more like that of the inside pictures but they give you an idea of what it looks like.
blueStratolinerside.jpg

blueStratolinerfront.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Edward

Bartender
Travelling to the Far East last week, I discovered that a carpet beetle has had a munch on my much-loved Akubra Riverana. Specifically, the littled varmit has nibbled about three quarters of an inch along where the crown meets the brim, right tight to the sweatband, at the rear. I'm concerned that this leaves a weak spot which could come to a hole over time. Is it best just left alone, and find someone to stitch it if it does come into a hole, or can I pre-empt that by using a bit of fabric glue as a sort of filler? Any suggestions?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I have filled in some fairly sizable moth divots using the old pouncing-fluff (sanded from a non-visible spot on the hat) mixed with white glue. I'm not sure if it actually restores structural integrity, but it does a decent job of hiding the blemish. Might be worth a shot.

Willybob

A-List Customer
A quality fabric glue coupled with a small bit of grossgrain or simular material of simular felt color on the inside works. Did this to an O.R. with a thin spot at the peak. Very hardy. Just dont use a peice of patch material too big with much overlap because it will be stiff and not as flexible as the rest of the felt

Edward

Bartender
I'll have to try and get some picture up. How it looks doesn't matter so much - it's tucked right in tight to the sweatband at the back - many's a hatwearer less anally retentive than me would never have noticed. A tiny bit of grosgrain might be the thing....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points