Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 Jacket Advice

kriskross4

New in Town
Hello,

This is my first post. Having read some information on the G1 leather jackets on this forum I wanted to ask some people with more experience than me on what G1 Leather Jacket I should purchase where the sleeves aren't baggy and the jacket has an overall slim fit? Any brands that come to mind which could be from the 50's right upto now.
Many thanks!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Most here (in various threads) recommend buying a used military version. The prices are rising a bit, but the G-1 isn't nearly as popular as the A-2, so competition isn't as stiff. I understand the vintage versions fit quite slim and some people even size up depending on the maker. I believe that G-1's made up until 1970 feature real mouton collars rather than synthetic.

pipvh

Practically Family
I used to have an Eastman G1. They're based on the first spec, 55J14. Mine was very trim and fit more or less identically to a vintage 50s model I've always regretted selling. My advice would be to buy vintage - there are lots around and you can still find a bargain.

Peacoat

Bartender
I know the C series G-1s had the goatskin and the real mouton collar and think the D series did as well. I believe that starting with the E series, the shell was pressed cowhide to resemble goat and synthetic collars replaced the mouton. Others know better than I do, and perhaps Atticus Finch will chime in as he seems to know a lot about the jackets and the series.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC

Justhandguns

Practically Family
G-1 is more forgiving than A-2 in terms of cut. In my opinion, the action back eliminates the boxy-ness of the A-2 jacket. I have both the ELC early G-1 and an early 70s' G-1 with synthetic fur collar, both look very smart even though the 70s' one is one size bigger.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Mouton collars were discontinued about half way through the D-series jackets in 1969. So later D-series G-1s have Dynal collars. Beginning with the E-series jackets, G-1 shells could be made from embossed cowhide. Evidently, not every contractor immediately made the switch and some makers seem to have used goat and cow interchangeably. One can find goatskin G-1s dating from any period in the jacket's history...up until at least the 1990s. In fact, my 1992 Cooper is made from some of the nicest goat of any of my G-1s. So, if you want goatskin (and you should) buy D-series or older. Only the E-series jackets will include cowhide examples.

It has been my experience that original G-1 sizing varies greatly, even within a given contract. Generally, though...and this is very generally...Star Sportswear probably made the largest of the Vietnam era G-1s and Martin Lane probably made the most trimly cut jackets. I've always thought that Brill made trim jackets, too. At least the two I've owned were. Also, generally, the WWII M-422a had a fuller, longer cut than the post 1950s G-1s.

AF

CBI

One Too Many
Buy an original. Nothing beats having the real thing. Originals cane be had for much less than a repro. Buy any contract through the D model (Vietnam). Unless one is an odd size, I can't really understand why anyone would buy a repro when originals are so abundant and easy to find. No offense to repro makers intended. Some high-end repro makers make beautiful copies, even nicer than Gov issue. To me its makes them LESS authentic. Just my 2 cents.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I might be getting back a late 40s 55J14 in a slim 40 if it's of interest to you. I love the Navy jackets! TMitchell currently has an original M-422a on his etsy store. Original is probably the way to go. However, if money is not an issue the repros are good too!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, like some of us here, I have been watching G-1 on the bay for years, the price has gone way up in the past 3-4years. Some of the better ones sell for as much as a good repro, especially those with intact fur collars. But on the other hand, I got myself an almost new ELC G-1 last year for a very reasonably price. If you are in the US of A, Cockpit is a good option, if you are in Europe, ELC is probably among one of the best repro G-1 that you can get, although a bit more expensive.

kriskross4

New in Town
Thank you so much to all of you who took the time to reply, didn't expect so many replies tbh but thank you all the same! So most of you suggest the vintage jackets while a few suggest the new jackets. I'm based in Australia and unfortunately we don't have the option to test these jackets before hand which is why I will have to get one shipped from the US while hoping the style/fit suits me. I have been looking regularly on Ebay and I hope to find something soon as winter quickly approaches.

kriskross4

New in Town
I saw a DSCP Jacket on ebay and would like to know what you think, its firstly sheepskin and according to the seller one of the best he's seen; personally I've never felt goatskin or sheepskin jackets so I wouldn't have a clue Also my chest size is 39 inches and I am 5'9 and weigh 150 pounds. As you all know I'm looking for a slimmer fit so I'm not sure whether I should go for 38" size or a 40", Your thoughts would be appreciated and here's the link, http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-1-Barely-...351358?hash=item43e7896a3e:g:aggAAOSwUdlWeI5w

the loco

One of the Regulars
I have read that isued G-1's aren't always top quality, as evidenced by the synthetic fur ie.

Aero's M422a is really very fitted and the sleeves aren't bagy either, some tend to think WW2 era M422a are actually of higher quality then the G-1's. The leather and lining of this jacket look amazing.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Hi

I have been following the lounge for quite a while and decided finally to join.
Re the Excelled G1 sizing. I am 38" chest and 6ft tall. I have a 38 and a 40 in the DSCP Excelled. The 40 is a much better fit. 38 is ok but only with a t shirt and the sleeves are a tad too short so will be selling it soon. All my original G1s are a 40 as they seem to be running a bit small.

I have several jackets from this guy and he is very helpful. Get him to measure the jacket for you. I would suggest that a 40 is a much better option but be careful one or two of the DSCP have been a bit short in body not sure why even if marked as a 40R. So get the seller to measure the jacket for length just to be on the safe side. The DSCP Exelled are very nice quality i have 3 of them! Hope this helps re sizing

Cheers

Peter

Marv

A-List Customer
Mouton collars were discontinued about half way through the D-series jackets in 1969. So later D-series G-1s have Dynal collars. Beginning with the E-series jackets, G-1 shells could be made from embossed cowhide. Evidently, not every contractor immediately made the switch and some makers seem to have used goat and cow interchangeably. One can find goatskin G-1s dating from any period in the jacket's history...up until at least the 1990s. In fact, my 1992 Cooper is made from some of the nicest goat of any of my G-1s. So, if you want goatskin (and you should) buy D-series or older. Only the E-series jackets will include cowhide examples.

It has been my experience that original G-1 sizing varies greatly, even within a given contract. Generally, though...and this is very generally...Star Sportswear probably made the largest of the Vietnam era G-1s and Martin Lane probably made the most trimly cut jackets. I've always thought that Brill made trim jackets, too. At least the two I've owned were. Also, generally, the WWII M-422a had a fuller, longer cut than the post 1950s G-1s.

AF

I agree, go vintage if you can, I picked up two vintage G1s in the past few months both for well under $150.

A 1971 Brill Bros D series in goat with a dynal collar, size 46" and a 1977 Ralph Edwards E series in what i'm guessing is cow, with dynal collar size 46".
The Brill Bros is the larger of the two, a better fit with excellent light goatskin where as the Ralph Edwards is slightly trimmer in the torso thicker heavier cowhide but has a better quality of knits and zipper than the Brill.

I also have a 1968 Martin Lane D series in goat with a mouton collar, excellent jacket but small for it's labelled size 46" fits more like a 44".

Jim B.

New in Town
I saw a DSCP Jacket on ebay and would like to know what you think, its firstly sheepskin and according to the seller one of the best he's seen; personally I've never felt goatskin or sheepskin jackets so I wouldn't have a clue Also my chest size is 39 inches and I am 5'9 and weigh 150 pounds. As you all know I'm looking for a slimmer fit so I'm not sure whether I should go for 38" size or a 40", Your thoughts would be appreciated and here's the link, http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-1-Barely-...351358?hash=item43e7896a3e:g:aggAAOSwUdlWeI5w
That ebay jacket is heavy cowhide with embossed goat grain and a synthetic collar.

kriskross4

New in Town
That ebay jacket is heavy cowhide with embossed goat grain and a synthetic collar.
Btw is 1987 considered Vintage too or should I just stick to the 60's and 70's. Saw a Brill Bros 1987 Jacket and was wondering whether the difference in quality would be much from those years.

Peacoat

Bartender
DSCP is current issue. I would get a middle D series or earlier and avoid the current issue stuff. PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana